Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 1 2014, 03:07 PM   #61
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: The War Doctor Returns in a New Novel

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
On a rare occasion when did have to provide a name, he probably went with the old standby of John Smith
I really don't see how that would have worked.

Floz of Gallifrey: "I'm sorry sir, I didn't catch your name."
Doctor: "John Smith."
Floz of Gallifrey: "What kind of name is that?"

Yeah, I know, he could have substituted it with whatever the Gallifreyan version of John Smith is, but I assume he didn't since in my mind that is his real name.
The Doctor did have a nickname, as we saw when he met up with an old classmate from the Academy, who addressed him as "Theta Sigma."

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 12:12 AM   #62
Blamo
Fleet Captain

Got it, read it, loved it.

Pretty much everything I hoped it would be. I can't really think of a single complaint to level at it.

The tone of the book is closer to series 1 than the rest of new Who, with the odd new adventure tone leaking into it (in a good way). It still feels like it could be an epic New Who special, but perhaps shown later in the day. Basically it feels like a slightly darker series 1 (when series 1 was dark and it could be real dark in Parting of the Ways). Just right.

It shows a war where both sides have been pushed to extremes, with the other species(humans for this novel) trapped in the middle. The Daleks and the Time Lords are shown to be both desperate, discarding their ideals as they try to survive and win. Yes, Daleks discarding their ideals.

The "War Doctor" himself is glorious in this.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 12:54 AM   #63
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Blamo wrote: View Post
Got it, read it, loved it.

Pretty much everything I hoped it would be. I can't really think of a single complaint to level at it.
I'm glad to hear this. I ordered it from Book Depository; I wanted the UK hardcover rather than the US paperback, and I didn't want to wait until September. It's on its way, and hopefully I'll have it soon-ish.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 02:01 AM   #64
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Blamo wrote: View Post
Yes, Daleks discarding their ideals.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 02:03 AM   #65
The Wormhole
Admiral

Well, I'm content to wait until the American edition in September, but nice to know it's a good book.

Any other characters from the show in this? I've heard on other sites
Anyone else?
Old August 1 2014, 08:24 AM   #66
Blamo
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Any other characters from the show in this? I've heard on other sites
Anyone else?
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 08:38 AM   #67
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Hm, I didn't realize there was a hardback edition. Good thing I haven't ordered it yet.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 01:44 AM   #68
Nightowl1701
Captain

Nice bit of artwork by popular DW fan artist Paul Hanley (the guy who basically designed McGann's "Night of the Doctor" outfit). Our new companion for the War Doctor (with the consultation/guidance of Engines of War writer George Mann) has essentially been cast:

Presenting Special Guest Star Hayley Williams (of Paramore) as Cinder.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 09:55 AM   #69
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Ugh.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 11:01 AM   #70
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Getting really bored, how every medium has to have a human young female as the companion - titan launched their 10th and 11th doctor comics last week and both do the same.

Other types of companions do exist!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 04:09 PM   #71
Christopher
Writer

On the other hand, it'd be a bit problematical if the show didn't have a female lead at all.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 04:28 PM   #72
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
On the other hand, it'd be a bit problematical if the show didn't have a female lead at all.
Absolutely no problem with a female lead but does she always have to be a) European and b) from contemporary urban society?

The show doing it is one thing but the comics and tie-in media doing the same is a bit dull - it's a particular problem because the 10th and 11th Doctor comics have come out at the same time and have a similar focus.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 04:49 PM   #73
Christopher
Writer

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Absolutely no problem with a female lead but does she always have to be a) European and b) from contemporary urban society?
I'm certainly not saying that. I'd welcome companions from other worlds and eras. But for what it's worth, in the new Titan comics, neither of the new companions is Caucasian and only one is English (Ten's companion is a Latina from Brooklyn and Eleven's is a black woman from London). The shows haven't had an American companion since Peri (I don't count Grace and Chang Lee as companions) and I don't think they've ever had a Hispanic companion.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 06:13 PM   #74
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Cinder isn't from contemporary Earth.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 08:53 PM   #75
Doctorwhovian
Captain

Does the novel explain how long the War Doctor fought in the war? The reflection in "Night of the Doctor" looks like 1970's I Claudius/Alien John Hurt, for instance, and we know the Doctor usually ages slowly in his current body (The Matt Smith Doctor, for instance, seemed to last quite a few centuries-such as in season 6-before visibly aging on Trenzalore).

I'd like to think the Doctor himself doesn't really know for the most part, especially given the fluctuating ages given by the original series and to a degree the novels.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote