Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 7 2014, 10:20 PM   #31
ClayinCA
Commodore

Re: The War Doctor Returns in a New Novel

So I guess he's "the Doctor," then...!
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:29 AM   #32
The Wormhole
Admiral

Ooh, interesting. So the Doctor is leading a "flotilla of battle TARDISes"? So, does this mean he has some sort of official standing with Gallifrey's military? This description practically makes him an admiral, or at least a commodore.

I guess there's nothing really wrong with this, it's just in my own personal head canon I saw the War Doctor as a sort of mercenary fighting the Daleks and defending Gallifrey on his own and staying outside of the Gallifreyan military establishment.

And Cinder the Dalek hunter? Was Absalom Dak unavailable? Joking aside, I understand the necessity to create a new character to keep things accessible for readers who aren't familiar with Absalom Dak, not to mention the issue with royalties to Dak's creator. Presumably Cinder is a woman, as I imagine the book is going to have a prominent female protagonist.
Old May 8 2014, 03:08 AM   #33
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This is how a Timelord fights: They kill your grandparents.

This is how a Timelord fights: They blow up a galaxy to get one guy.

This is how a Timelord Fights: They wind back your odometer until you're sperm.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; May 8 2014 at 03:34 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 03:30 AM   #34
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I wonder what the chances are of getting Hurt to read the audiobook edition.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 04:26 AM   #35
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
When Virgin was publishing Doctor Who novels they banned writers from writing from the Doctor's perspective in order to keep mystery about him. Not sure if that mandate carried over to the BBC books, but a lot of authors followed it mandate or no.
That may have been their intention. In practice, it mostly just made him come across as inaccessible and distant. I find I'm liking the seventh Doctor less and less thanks to the Virgin books.
Old May 8 2014, 12:00 PM   #36
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Kelso wrote: View Post
I wonder what the chances are of getting Hurt to read the audiobook edition.
I'm hopeful. I have an audiobook of Hurt reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and I'd love to hear his craggy voice read this.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 11:56 PM   #37
Timofnine

I'd love a Big Finish War Doctor range
Old May 14 2014, 02:09 AM   #38
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

This is sounding worse and worse by the minute.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 02:25 AM   #39
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
This is sounding worse and worse by the minute.
I need some clarification. What is "this," what is it "worse" than at present, and why is it worse than that?

Otherwise, that's just meaningless words.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 02:54 AM   #40
starsuperion
Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So does 9 fall for Rose because she looks like a weapon that can destroy a galaxy?
Perhaps on a subconscious level. If the Doctor can't remember "doing the right thing," it's unlikely that he consciously remembers the Moment's avatar. But he might subconsciously feel some familiarity with Rose, never quite knowing why she's familiar.

I've wondered if the Moment "made" Rose for precisely that reason, molding her to be someone the post-Moment Doctor would feel comfortable with to help him move on toward healing. But then we're into Sam Jones territory.

(To explain that last reference -- Sam Jones was the eighth Doctor's companion in the BBC novels. It turns out she was engineered to be the Doctor's perfect companion. RTD's first series of the new series might've done something similar with Rose had Paul Abbott's "Pompeii" not fallen through.)
didn't the moment first identify itself as bad wolf, before stating it was in the form of rose Tyler?? If that's the case, it makes one wonder if the sentient moment is not somehow linked to the hyper persona of the bad wolf, since the bad wolf exists across all time and space, and the moment is or has access to all of time and space as well..it would almost seem that the two could very well be the same thing or the moment being a time lord manipulated aspect of the bad wolf. I often surmise that Billie Piper could easily make recurring comebacks in the form of the bad wolf as cameos on the show under the guise of bad wolf, not to mention her link psychically to the TARDIS from the events at the end of season 1.. wouldn't it be ironic if roses persona as the bad wolf, is the genetic template that gives rise to the doctors TARDIS producing an offspring called compassion, tho different in origin to the comic version..interesting possibilities there, if Moffat wanted to dip his toe in that pond..so to speak

incidentally, speaking of a pond I'd like to dip my big toe in, I wonder if they will somehow bring Karen back for a stint with Capaldi??
Old May 14 2014, 08:44 AM   #41
Starkers
Admiral

No. Much as I adore Karen, Amy's story is told, and Karen has moved on.Not to mention Amy without Rory would never feel right.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 05:14 PM   #42
starsuperion
Captain

This cements my theory that the War Doctor is not the same as the Valeyard, and I am hopeful we get to see that come about in Capaldi's run. That would be amazingly cool.
Old May 18 2014, 05:22 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

starsuperion wrote: View Post
This cements my theory that the War Doctor is not the same as the Valeyard...
Well, that was confirmed as soon as "The Night of the Doctor" came out and showed Paul McGann regenerating into John Hurt. The Valeyard somehow emerged between the "twelfth and final" incarnations, while the War Doctor was, quite simply, the Doctor's ninth incarnation (although in retrospect the Doctor skipped over counting him).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 10:08 PM   #44
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Starkers wrote: View Post
No. Much as I adore Karen, Amy's story is told, and Karen has moved on.Not to mention Amy without Rory would never feel right.
I'd be more interested in seeing Rory without Amy than Amy without Rory.

I've wondered if the Moment "made" Rose for precisely that reason, molding her to be someone the post-Moment Doctor would feel comfortable with to help him move on toward healing. But then we're into Sam Jones territory.

(To explain that last reference -- Sam Jones was the eighth Doctor's companion in the BBC novels. It turns out she was engineered to be the Doctor's perfect companion. RTD's first series of the new series might've done something similar with Rose had Paul Abbott's "Pompeii" not fallen through.)
IIRC, wasn't that the prevailing theory about Clara for a while?
Old May 19 2014, 04:02 PM   #45
Csalem
Commodore

starsuperion wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So does 9 fall for Rose because she looks like a weapon that can destroy a galaxy?
Perhaps on a subconscious level. If the Doctor can't remember "doing the right thing," it's unlikely that he consciously remembers the Moment's avatar. But he might subconsciously feel some familiarity with Rose, never quite knowing why she's familiar.

didn't the moment first identify itself as bad wolf, before stating it was in the form of rose Tyler?? If that's the case, it makes one wonder if the sentient moment is not somehow linked to the hyper persona of the bad wolf, since the bad wolf exists across all time and space, and the moment is or has access to all of time and space as well..it would almost seem that the two could very well be the same thing or the moment being a time lord manipulated aspect of the bad wolf. I often surmise that Billie Piper could easily make recurring comebacks in the form of the bad wolf as cameos on the show under the guise of bad wolf, not to mention her link psychically to the TARDIS from the events at the end of season 1.. wouldn't it be ironic if roses persona as the bad wolf, is the genetic template that gives rise to the doctors TARDIS producing an offspring called compassion, tho different in origin to the comic version..interesting possibilities there, if Moffat wanted to dip his toe in that pond..so to speak

incidentally, speaking of a pond I'd like to dip my big toe in, I wonder if they will somehow bring Karen back for a stint with Capaldi??
Was it not the other way around? The moment introduced itself as Rose Tyler but then said in this form known as Bad Wolf?