A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 1 2014, 12:03 AM   #1
varek
Commander

strange radio bursts detected

Strange radio bursts could be from remote part of the unitverse.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic....c-radio-burst/
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 12:16 AM   #2
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: strange radio bursts detected

Yeah, I read science news too. Do you actually want to tak about the subject or do you just want to keep creating new threads?
Old May 1 2014, 02:46 AM   #3
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Flash! Strange lights in the sky thought to be from outside the solar system.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 03:07 AM   #4
Dennis
The Man

Twenty consecutive quarters of profitability for Ford.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 03:44 AM   #5
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Unless these radio bursts are deciphered to be threats from an alien race headed our way, I don't think we need to worry about it.
Old May 1 2014, 04:06 AM   #6
HIjol
Captain

...wonder what in the wide world of sports we would do if it was really really truly signals from someone else...like, as in "Contact" really really truly...I do think about it from time to time, and never seem to drift to the malevolent, and always seem to assume a superior intelligence in terms of what kind of Contact would be made...if it were to be negative, we would deal as best we could...but what if it were more like the Vulcans...more potentially collaborative and mutual...man, that would be really something...wonder what we could offer them...???
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 04:40 AM   #7
Melakon
Vice Admiral

HIjol wrote: View Post
...wonder what we could offer them...???
Our obedience as their slaves. But any genuine messages from another civilization could be hundreds or thousands of years old.
Old May 1 2014, 04:46 AM   #8
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

sojourner wrote: View Post
Yeah, I read science news too. Do you actually want to tak about the subject or do you just want to keep creating new threads?
If you want to make a comment, make a comment, but save the mini-modding.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 05:24 AM   #9
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Sorry.
Old May 1 2014, 07:17 AM   #10
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Melakon wrote: View Post
Our obedience as their slaves. But any genuine messages from another civilization could be hundreds or thousands of years old.
Something that frustrates me immensely. For all we know, a civilization a few hundred light years away sees us, and has sent us a message, and even as it travels here, we continue to search through the skies, hoping to find that sign; that one signal that opens the door to amazing discovery, only for that origination source to have dried up; fallen to famine, disease, or war, with no more outward signs of life to give us hope.

Yeah, I got a bit poetic at the end, but it really does frustrate me that we're limited to the speed of light in signal transmissions.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 09:47 AM   #11
HIjol
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Something that frustrates me immensely. For all we know, a civilization a few hundred light years away sees us, and has sent us a message, and even as it travels here, we continue to search through the skies, hoping to find that sign; that one signal that opens the door to amazing discovery, only for that origination source to have dried up; fallen to famine, disease, or war, with no more outward signs of life to give us hope.

Yeah, I got a bit poetic at the end, but it really does frustrate me that we're limited to the speed of light in signal transmissions.
...hear you, J...but, what with the advances in partical, theoretical, quantum and astro physics, we can hope for some breakthroughs...all due respect to the Laws now, but someone once said laws were made to be broken (or bent a little)...c'mon warp drive and subspace... (the mouth on this icon is saying "c'mon")
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 09:17 PM   #12
Robert D. Robot
Captain

The signal has been deciphered and reads:
"Please disregard earlier message. Thank You."

Some advanced alien civilization apparently butt dialed Earth.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 10:10 PM   #13
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Are you sure they were bursts? Maybe the aliens were broadcasting the standard handshake of intergalactic protocol at nominal power, and God was moving the Earth around for bursts to appear in the signal. Would explain my mood swings.

And everyone knows the first message humans will receive from aliens will be "test message", but for a couple of centuries we'll think it means "hello there", and wonder why they don't respond back.

(Of course, the main reason for them not responding is that they all died during WW3, and the message is coming from a transmitter some kid hooked to a nuclear battery and left running after she concluded it didn't work.)
Old May 1 2014, 11:16 PM   #14
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I think it was the aliens wanting Earth to move out of the way as it is blocking their view of Venus and next time it happens they might blow us up
Old May 2 2014, 02:00 AM   #15
varek
Commander

sojourner wrote: View Post
I like to discuss subjects with my friends and colleagues. But, sometimes, I admit that the subject may be deeper than my understanding of it, so I stand back and listen, hoping to learn more.
I'm not interested in the number of posts, since I don't know if they are being counted or not. I just like to share new topics that I hope others might find stimulating to examine.
And, I try to engage in other people's threads, whenever I feel I might have something to contribute. (Whether other people enjoy my participation or not may be debatable, but I try to join in, as part of the group, not as anyone special.)
My thoughts on these bursts remind me of the communications Nikola Tesla thought were coming from someone on Mars, back in the 1920s, I think. I think they could represent an attempt at communication from some intelligent species to us. But, what does it say?
varek is offline   Reply With Quote