IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 30 2014, 10:45 PM   #46
Dennis
The Man

Re: What was wrong with the TMP uniforms?

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
The TOS uniforms looked like pajamas, too.
Somewhat.

More specifically, the TMP uniforms look like baby or toddler jammies - it's the one-color, in some cases one-piece "unconstructed" design in concert with having the footwear built into the uniform.

I thought the TMP uniforms were less distracting in action in the movie than they were in the pre-release publicity stills. They moved pretty well - and despite the widespread preference for the TWOK uniforms, the TMP outfits looked far more plausible as working uniforms than did the "monster maroons." The TWOK uniforms looked like some kind of ceremonial costumes.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 02:00 AM   #47
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

I'm just saying space fatigues looking like pajamas is not such a bad thing. I liked the uniforms in Forbidden Planet, especially the short-sleeved variant. I wouldn't mind TMP style shirts--particularly, Kirk's short-sleeved shirt--with TOS style pants and boots, not the parachute pants of TWOK. Those footie pants and jumpsuits were pretty bad. Never minded the perscan buckles, though.
Old May 1 2014, 02:10 AM   #48
Mutoid
Fleet Captain

View Mutoid's Twitter Profile

The TMP uniforms sort of remind me of the Space 1999 uniforms.(which I didn't mind).
Maybe a few tweaks and they would have been OK - like adding some darker colours, not being so tight, not having the shoes built in. I'm not sure.
Mutoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 02:41 AM   #49
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

The FC style uniforms were the best in any of the original continuity movies--not ideal, but good. I like the revised TOS fatigues and skirts in the new movies, for nostalgia as much as anything.
Old May 1 2014, 03:05 AM   #50
Dennis
The Man

I suppose my favorites were the TWOK uniforms, but I was never in love with any of the movie outfits. I prefer the TOS series uniforms, and the original Theiss season 1 & 2 uniforms on TNG.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 12:15 PM   #51
starburst
Fleet Captain

Apart from Kirks short sleeve variant Im kinda on a scale of 'meh' to not bothered when it comes to the TMP uniforms. I did like the return of the Cage like away team jackets and the wrist communicators though.

The WOK onward uniforms looks smart but never seemed practical to me apart from the 'bomber' style jacket Morrow and Scotty wore in TSFS and later Kirk early in TFF. They looked just too stiff and more of a dress uniform, in my opinion Galactica used a similar concept which looked much more practical.

I would agree that the FC and ST09 uniforms represent the best in terms of movie uniforms, for me at the moment ST09 may beat out FC as the top uniform design.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 12:53 PM   #52
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I really liked the First & Second Season uniforms used in TNG, myself! When the collar went up, it ended up looking more like a priest's outfit, with all of that black and the open notch in the front. Seasons 1 & 2 were reminiscent of sailor's uniforms in the U.S. Navy. But my favourites continue to be those used in THE MOTION PICTURE. I liked the sewn patch idea, even. It just seemed really well thought-out and I liked the semi-hourglass cut in the front of the garments, as well as the band below the collar. And it's very pleasing to see that some of that design still inspires costume design in the reboot. But as far as the most utilitarian uniform, I give all due credit to ENTERPRISE. I liked the NASA feel of the blue overalls, or jumpers, or whatever the balls you'd call them ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 12:55 PM   #53
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

starburst wrote: View Post
The WOK onward uniforms looks smart but never seemed practical to me apart from the 'bomber' style jacket Morrow and Scotty wore in TSFS and later Kirk early in TFF. They looked just too stiff and more of a dress uniform, in my opinion...
The TWOK uniforms really seemed like a throwback to the officer uniforms worn by the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. During the Star Treks II-VI era, it may have been rare for officers to regularly do any kind of hard physical labor in those uniforms (Scotty never wore his when he was actually working in engineering). The jackets were also ditched during most landing parties in lieu of a more casual vest.
Old May 1 2014, 08:22 PM   #54
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

Were they influenced by the Space 1999 uniform?
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...blu-ray_10.jpg
JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 08:36 PM   #55
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

JT Perfecthair wrote: View Post
Were they influenced by the Space 1999 uniform?
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...blu-ray_10.jpg
That link doesn't work for me unless I cut and paste it.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 08:36 PM   #56
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
I suppose my favorites were the TWOK uniforms, but I was never in love with any of the movie outfits. I prefer the TOS series uniforms, and the original Theiss season 1 & 2 uniforms on TNG.
I liked the TWOK and FC uniforms myself, but I can't help but wonder if it gets really warm under there. Both uniforms aren't just layers, but fairly thick, heavy cotton layers.
Old May 1 2014, 08:49 PM   #57
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Perhaps they have a method of cooling the wearer automatically. We have long johns that keep us warm; I'm sure that all these centuries later, there are garments that can keep someone cool as well.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 09:03 PM   #58
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

If "Spock's Brain" is canon, and so many don't want it to be, then everybody has a personal adjustable environmental field around them for temperature control since at least the TOS era.

landing party beams down to Sigma Draconis, they all start to immediately react to the cold

Kirk: Suit temperatures to seventy two.

everybody reaches around behind them and all stop shivering.

In theory clothing could be totally optional on some ships.
JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 09:12 PM   #59
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Perhaps they have a method of cooling the wearer automatically. We have long johns that keep us warm; I'm sure that all these centuries later, there are garments that can keep someone cool as well.
A decent possibility, but in the present, they're not suits that I'd want to cosplay in for a weekend
Old May 1 2014, 11:34 PM   #60
J.T.B.
Commodore

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I respectfully disagree about style and color preference with concept, because Star Trek is first and foremost supposed to be entertaining fiction. [...]

The movie uniforms were a victim of the 70s aesthetic -- muted, beigey loungey type of feel. I was watching the first Anchorman movie and, while a comedy, Ron Burgundy's color choice isn't too far off from the browner uniform colors. And the worst way to date a futuristic movie is to use fashion trends of the decade in which it was made.
Yes, we're talking about two different things I suspect. By "concept" I meant conceptual uniforms, as if they really existed 300 years in the future. Not the film designer's concept.

Of course there will always be giveaway cues to the aesthetics of the time in any production. But fashion preferences are not set in stone and change over time. The TWOK uniforms are also loaded with early '80s cues. Personally I think TMP didn't do too badly in trying to moderate the influences of the time. Compared to Space 1999 from a few years earlier, which had flared trouser legs, hip light-colored boots with chunky heels, extra-wide collars and so on.

As for the "pajamas" thing, I look at it this way... Below is an image similar to one I posted five or six years ago. The two photos are exactly the same subject, US Navy admirals and their staffs. It shows how drastically and unpredictably things can change, in this case in less than 80 years and within the very same service. In 1865, when even laborers went out in public in a suit and tie, who would imagine high-ranking naval officers performing their duties in wrinkled, open-collared shirts and khaki trousers?

So, would 300-years-hence space service uniforms remind us of present-day pajamas? Sure, they might. But that doesn't make them implausible.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The TWOK uniforms really seemed like a throwback to the officer uniforms worn by the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.
That seems to have been an influence, along with the movie The Prisoner of Zenda. There are many reasons the ST2-6 uniforms are my least favorite, but one I've fixed on recently is that the skirt of the coat, below the belt, looks too short on most actors, it doesn't cover the hips. Coats with a belt on the outside like that look better with longer skirts and a tailored waist seam. In that respect the maroons as seen in TNG flashbacks look better without the belt, though the lack of the high shirt collar is a negative.

Last edited by J.T.B.; May 2 2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: redundant word
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote