Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 13 2014, 11:15 PM   #166
Warped9
Admiral

Re: What was wrong with the TMP uniforms?

^^ As I said the materials used were not the best. But that's nothing new in film. Indeed some actresses over the years who are accustomed to our contemporary style of clothing have remarked that wearing period clothing involving corsets and all other manner of antiquated attire are truly uncomfortable to wear hours on end.

Contemporary hockey players cannot comprehend what it was like to wear wool sweaters to play decades ago. Modern baseball uniforms aren't made the same as those past either. And appropriately dressed men of bygone days used to wear wool suits even in summer.

On point I've little doubt something in the style of the TMP attire could be done with much better fabrics that actually could be worn with a decent measure of comfort.
Old July 14 2014, 12:21 AM   #167
J.T.B.
Commodore

LordMudd wrote: View Post
The cast hated the costumes because they were spandex, and everyone needed help getting in and out of them, meaning, if you had to go to the bathroom, you needed help. Spandex also shows the lines of anything under it.
The jumpsuits were made of heavy spandex, but the Class A's were a wool gabardine, like real military uniforms today. The Class B's were some poly/cotton knit, I believe.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 01:19 AM   #168
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Robert Fletcher preferred natural fabrics because synthetics don't drape or shape well, so he'd go for materials like gabardine where possible.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 01:52 AM   #169
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
It's a good point, people live on the ship as well as work there so a wider variety for off-duty is understandable. Chief Di Falco, for instance, is wearing a uniform with no rank insignia, which makes sense if it was an off-duty uniform and she was off watch and called to the bridge in a hurry.
If Chief DiFalco wasn't wearing her uniform while off duty (which is fine), then would not what she was wear be "civilian clothing?" We saw this frequently in TNG.

I'm not sure exactly what a off duty uniform is suppose to be.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 07:38 AM   #170
LordMudd
Lieutenant Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
It's a good point, people live on the ship as well as work there so a wider variety for off-duty is understandable. Chief Di Falco, for instance, is wearing a uniform with no rank insignia, which makes sense if it was an off-duty uniform and she was off watch and called to the bridge in a hurry.
If Chief DiFalco wasn't wearing her uniform while off duty (which is fine), then would not what she was wear be "civilian clothing?" We saw this frequently in TNG.

In TNG, the ship was designed to have civilians on board, and to have facilities for them. Civilians were never regularly assigned to Kirk's ship, just for special instances.

CCC.
Old July 14 2014, 07:43 AM   #171
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

In TNG, the ship was designed to have civilians on board, and to have facilities for them. Civilians were never regularly assigned to Kirk's ship, just for special instances.

CCC.
The concept of (probable) off-duty crew in civvies goes back to "The Cage".
Old July 14 2014, 01:41 PM   #172
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

CCC.
While there might not be any civilians on Kirk's ship, there were civilian articles of clothing.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 02:03 PM   #173
J.T.B.
Commodore

Well, it wasn't civvies because it had a badge and other uniform cues, just no rank. It was part of the concept for the movie wardrobe that there would be a wide range of official clothing people could chose from, including some for off-duty wear. Specifically, the wrap jacket Sulu is wearing in the first bridge scene was supposed to be a "leisure uniform." It is a little different, conceptually, than we think of uniforms today.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 02:12 PM   #174
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Very dark colours (black, very dark blues and greens and reds bordering on black), and sometimes white, can also tend to play down an interesting shape and interesting lines.
That's definitely very true in the case of cars.
Old July 14 2014, 06:58 PM   #175
Mytran
Fleet Captain

230 people you say? Not far off the 203 crew compliment of Captain Pike's Enterprise!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 08:37 PM   #176
Richard Baker
Commander

I really liked the original TOS uniforms- they did not look like military but had a futuristic, practical vibe to them.
IMO the Wrath of Khan uniforms looked too conventional and TNG just looked weird with the zig-zag in the middle.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 08:49 PM   #177
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
...TNG just looked weird with the zig-zag in the middle.
It was supposed to be the bottom of the Starfleet "arrowhead" insignia, with the top flipped over on the back.
Old July 14 2014, 10:13 PM   #178
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

dswynne1 wrote: View Post
I kind of have a soft-spot for them, and felt that they allowed for a futuristic look for the film. If there was one flaw, I felt that the overall design was not consistent. I couldn't tell which department belong to what uniform, and there were too many collar variations. But I did like the idea of slipping on a jacket over your uniform, one that was designed to be utilitarian, and not bulky (compared to the field jacket in TWOK).

I do wonder if the field jumpsuits in STiD is a throwback to some of the TMP uniforms, but without the 1970s look...
I liked the TMP uniforms. Apparently they didn't visually stand out enough from the gray tones of the bridge an other ship sets, so a bolder red was used later. I liked the white top, gray pants uniform especially. They needed to get the uniform color scheme straightened out. Maybe just stick to the white tops, and let division/department be shown with the shoulder rank strip.
AirCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 10:15 PM   #179
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I really liked the original TOS uniforms- they did not look like military but had a futuristic, practical vibe to them.
The cut of pants and boots gave the uniforms a nice military accent to the "unusual" costuming, which was carried over to TWOK - TUC pant design.
Old July 14 2014, 10:29 PM   #180
Dennis
Commodore

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
...TNG just looked weird with the zig-zag in the middle.
It was supposed to be the bottom of the Starfleet "arrowhead" insignia, with the top flipped over on the back.

You know, the one time that I spoke to William Theiss he told me that his idea for the TNG uniforms was that they reflected and emphasized human anatomy - the pointed yoke representing the musculature of the shoulders with the piping there being the clavicle, and the colored panel in the front being the rib cage.

He didn't mention the arrowhead on that occasion but given the asymmetry and the obvious resemblance I don't doubt that it could have served both purposes.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote