Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 29 2014, 04:08 AM   #1
dswynne1
Lieutenant

What was wrong with the TMP uniforms?

I kind of have a soft-spot for them, and felt that they allowed for a futuristic look for the film. If there was one flaw, I felt that the overall design was not consistent. I couldn't tell which department belong to what uniform, and there were too many collar variations. But I did like the idea of slipping on a jacket over your uniform, one that was designed to be utilitarian, and not bulky (compared to the field jacket in TWOK).

I do wonder if the field jumpsuits in STiD is a throwback to some of the TMP uniforms, but without the 1970s look...
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 04:12 AM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: What was wrong with the TMP uniforms?

Seriously, I LOVE the TMP uniforms! I think they're terrific! But they do not do a very good job at hiding beer guts and sagging boobs on aging cast members ...
Old April 29 2014, 04:42 AM   #3
Vger23
Lieutenant

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Seriously, I LOVE the TMP uniforms! I think they're terrific! But they do not do a very good job at hiding beer guts and sagging boobs on aging cast members ...
First of all Frakes, major respect for the Chuck Yeagar avatar from "The Right Stuff!"

I like the TMP uniforms too. They're so unique that I'm fascinated by them. My Star Trek Online characters all have TMP uniforms just because nobody else would use them...haha!

They're certainly not my favorite, but it don't hate them like so many others do.
Old April 29 2014, 05:41 AM   #4
Grant
Fleet Captain

I love revisionism.

At the time it was clear the cast hated them, the fans hated them, the critics hated them and now 35 years later there is nostalgia for the incredibly bland boring uniforms that would only have ever appeared in the 1970s aesthetic.

they look like pajamas with built in footies.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 06:46 AM   #5
Maurice
Vice Admiral

There are things I like about them, but I hate the untucked shirt look of the two piece uniforms, the belt buckles on the men are too big (and the buckle design is blah), and the color choices are bland. I like the short sleeve variant a lot, though.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 06:55 AM   #6
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

They leave nothing to the imagination.
The colours are dull.
The short sleeve ones look too informal IMO. Not enough like uniforms at all.
And unfortunately I have to agree with 2TakesFrakes, probably the worst uniform if you weren't totally fit or were older. Not that the other Star Trek uniforms were much better in that regard.

Perhaps they were the most realistic uniform for the military. If you were in one of the beige ones you could blend right in with the background. Unlike the TWOK uniforms.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 10:10 AM   #7
Khan 2.0
Commander

id say its the uniforms that mostly make TMP feel and look like its from another series of movies than that of 2-6

imagine if TMP had the WOK uniforms...or vice versa...

Last edited by Khan 2.0; April 29 2014 at 11:08 AM.
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Relayer1
Commodore

I preferred them. I love the look and feel of TMP. Despite loving some of the other movies, I'd have preferred it if they'd have carried on in that vein.
Old April 29 2014, 10:37 AM   #9
MacLeod
Admiral

I would say the best looking of the TMP uniforms was Admiral Kirk's two-colour one.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 11:01 AM   #10
drt
Commander

I have the impression that what audiences didn't like about them in 1979 were the colors, not the design. If they had kept the established departmental colors, I think they would have been a lot better received (probably even more so with black collars and pants for the two piece).

They also look more like a natural design progression from the rather minimalist original series uniforms than the overly festooned maroon ones of ST2-6.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 11:37 AM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I actually think up until the First Contact uniforms, the TMP uniforms were the most realistic Starfleet uniforms (in the sense of a futuristic space navy from a society centuries from now).
Old April 29 2014, 12:21 PM   #12
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Colour-wise, they're a more natural progression from the CAGE era uniforms (as is the bridge colour palette).

Design-wise I can see the lineage from the TOS uniforms. It's the integrated footsies that stand out the worst, IMO.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 02:28 PM   #13
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Vger23 wrote: View Post
First of all Frakes, major respect for the Chuck Yeagar avatar from "The Right Stuff!"
Thank you, very much, sir! Chuck Yeager, the Man who broke the Sound Barrier, is still amongst us, as of this writing. And how he was depicted in The Right Stuff was just larger than life! He's from a bygone era, certainly, but his true grit, determination and heroism makes him a great source of inspiration to me. One Man can make a difference. Chuck Yeager is proof of that ... he's a Living Legend!
Old April 29 2014, 03:17 PM   #14
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

^^^ wouldn't it be even better to have an avatar of the *real* Chuck Yeager?
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 03:31 PM   #15
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I just can't with the TMP uniforms. They're bland in almost every way. By trying to be futuristic and sleek, they're, imo, the uniform that's dated the worst. The color divisions almost blend into each other, which can't be a good thing, either. The future is boring..

I will say, though, that I really like the admiral's uniform. But keep it separated from the other duty uniforms to maintain a unique look. It would stand out more among other officers wearing brighter colors.