Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 12 2014, 08:26 PM   #31
Pasi Nurminen
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Chris Pine/Kirk

Chris Pine's Kirk is a complete moron with no redeeming qualities or features who inherits his position without doing anything to earn it. Though, I'm sure this is not Pine's fault, but rather the fault of the writers and directors. Pine's Kirk seems to embody the idiotic 20-something frat-boy male archetype that is very much in vogue in Hollywood these days.
Pasi Nurminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 11:26 AM   #32
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

He just saved the world. Rescued Chris Pike from Romulans. Saved another planet. Exposed a highest-level plot at Starfleet and stopped a planned war with the Klingons.

Nope, he didn't do a thing
Old May 13 2014, 12:10 PM   #33
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
He just saved the world. Rescued Chris Pike from Romulans.
He did that in away missions. In what way does away mission qualify him to command a starship? It rather qualifies him to be some sort of special forces dude. But not commanding officer of a ship.
Exposed a highest-level plot at Starfleet and stopped a planned war with the Klingons.
I just wanted to say something about that, but the whole plot is totally messed up anyways. I never thought I'd say this, but Abramstrek 1 is the better film.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 12:27 PM   #34
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

When did Kirk whine or act like a baby in ID?
1. When he was talking to Uhura about how Spock was mean or something. I actually don't get Uhura and Kirk's problem with Spock here.

2. To a lesser extent Kirk making racist remarks to Spock on the shuttle ride back to the Enterprise.

I don't care if Spock was mean or a dobber or unfair. Kirk's in charge. He doesn't have to resort to name calling or gossiping to a 'girlfriend'. He just needs to man up like he did with Scotty or going over to face Marcus himself.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 12:45 PM   #35
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
1. When he was talking to Uhura about how Spock was mean or something. I actually don't get Uhura and Kirk's problem with Spock here.

2. To a lesser extent Kirk making racist remarks to Spock on the shuttle ride back to the Enterprise.

I don't care if Spock was mean or a dobber or unfair. Kirk's in charge. He doesn't have to resort to name calling or gossiping to a 'girlfriend'. He just needs to man up like he did with Scotty or going over to face Marcus himself.
Actually it was less Spock being mean and more question what his Kirk's decisions, and considering Sisko basically threatened to shove his foot up Kira's ass for doing something like that and Jellico fired Riker over it he was kind of restrained over it.

And yes Spock had a point but it still doesn't change that under Star Trek rules Kirk can chew Spock out about.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 12:52 PM   #36
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
Urban comes across to me as an impressionist and not a lot more. His routine is Pissed-Off McCoy, only one of the three or four attitudes Kelley was capable of as McCoy.

I enjoy Urban, but I enjoy impressions.
If you've watched Almost Human you can see he didn't change his delivery that much in the Star Trek Movies.

I think outstanding casting is what needs to be herlded here.
Old May 13 2014, 03:10 PM   #37
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
He just saved the world. Rescued Chris Pike from Romulans.
He did that in away missions. In what way does away mission qualify him to command a starship? It rather qualifies him to be some sort of special forces dude. But not commanding officer of a ship.
In the post Nero universe of ST09 saving Earth does qualify you for whatever the %^$# you want. The hand of the Federation President's daughter. The key to the Whitehouse's bathroom. The captaincy of the Earth's flagship is the least they can do.

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post

Actually it was less Spock being mean and more question what his Kirk's decisions, and considering Sisko basically threatened to shove his foot up Kira's ass for doing something like that and Jellico fired Riker over it he was kind of restrained over it.

And yes Spock had a point but it still doesn't change that under Star Trek rules Kirk can chew Spock out about.
I'm not objecting to Kirk imposing discipline. Just the way he did it. He shouldn't have to resort to making racist comments or whining to Spock's girlfriend.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 04:21 PM   #38
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Pasi Nurminen wrote: View Post
Chris Pine's Kirk is a complete moron with no redeeming qualities or features who inherits his position without doing anything to earn it. Though, I'm sure this is not Pine's fault, but rather the fault of the writers and directors. Pine's Kirk seems to embody the idiotic 20-something frat-boy male archetype that is very much in vogue in Hollywood these days.
Hey, now...do not hold back...say what you really think...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 04:27 PM   #39
Yanks
Fleet Captain

HIjol wrote: View Post
Hey, now...do not hold back...say what you really think...
Old May 13 2014, 07:40 PM   #40
Pasi Nurminen
Lieutenant Commander

He just saved the world. Rescued Chris Pike from Romulans. Saved another planet. Exposed a highest-level plot at Starfleet and stopped a planned war with the Klingons.

He became Captain of the Enterprise after goading Spock to beat him up. At that point in the film, he'd done absolutely nothing to demonstrate any kind of leadership capabilities, instead only proving himself an idiot (and probably mentally ill) at every turn. After all, prior to that point, all he's done is 1. be born, 2. trash a car, 3. get in a barfight, 4. cheat on an exam, 5. beat guys up and fire a guy. I'm not sure where in there he demonstrates any kind of cunning or skill or leadership abilities (unless his ability to beat guys up and fire a gun qualify him to command the Federation's flagship). I guess all the events which prove his leadership abilities must've occurred off-screen.

And if you examine the events of the films following this event, none of his actions come from the content of his character, but instead come from the plot (and I use the term loosely). J.J. Abrams' films are those in which the characters do whatever is required from them in order to advance the plot; the story does not come from the characters, but rather the plot.
Pasi Nurminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 07:45 PM   #41
Yanks
Fleet Captain

We are seeing "blockbuster popcorn movie" Kirk rather than "I've been on a 5-year mission, saved my crew and Earth countless times" Kirk.
Old May 14 2014, 02:36 AM   #42
HIjol
Fleet Captain

He became Captain of the Enterprise after goading Spock to beat him up. At that point in the film, he'd done absolutely nothing to demonstrate any kind of leadership capabilities, instead only proving himself an idiot (and probably mentally ill) at every turn. After all, prior to that point, all he's done is 1. be born, 2. trash a car, 3. get in a barfight, 4. cheat on an exam, 5. beat guys up and fire a guy. I'm not sure where in there he demonstrates any kind of cunning or skill or leadership abilities (unless his ability to beat guys up and fire a gun qualify him to command the Federation's flagship). I guess all the events which prove his leadership abilities must've occurred off-screen.

And if you examine the events of the films following this event, none of his actions come from the content of his character, but instead come from the plot (and I use the term loosely). J.J. Abrams' films are those in which the characters do whatever is required from them in order to advance the plot; the story does not come from the characters, but rather the plot.
Pasi...your listing of the events re: nuKirk are spot on - and J.J. Is not my absolute fave...ahhhhhhhhhh, sorry, got blinded by a lense-flare there...I am ok - but, consider where leadership and greatness sometimes come from...they frequently spring from resistance to authority...flouting of rules...questionable choices...and I know this personally...but a true leader uses that and more to end up with the cunning and leadership skill you speak of so clearly...Yanks is correct...for now, you are watching a blockbuster popcorn movie...give nuKirk a chance...I bet he will not disappoint you...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 08:23 AM   #43
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Good point. That's why as an origin story, ST is a complete failure. Origin stories are all about character development and plot is secondary. Look at "The Avengers", the plot is pretty simple, the complexity and therefore the entertainment comes from the individual characters coming together. Honestly I don't understand why things were so rushed. The main plot didn't need to start at the academy (outside of some bizarre desire to show Kirk as an insubordinate jerk instead of an experience officer with his first command).
Old May 14 2014, 08:36 AM   #44
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Dennis wrote: View Post
Urban comes across to me as an impressionist and not a lot more. His routine is Pissed-Off McCoy, only one of the three or four attitudes Kelley was capable of as McCoy.

I enjoy Urban, but I enjoy impressions.
I feel this was much more prominent in STiD. Is it because he had less to do I wonder?

Quinto is my favorite reboot, but I'm not going to say he's the closest to the original. He's my favorite because I like him better (shh!).

Pine is no Shatner, but he's got his own brash charm that is a bit wide eyed with boy-ness as befits a younger Kirk. I like him fine.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 08:39 AM   #45
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Depends how you see Kirk, doesn't it? Some fixate on Gary Mitchell's "Stack of books with legs" line from the second pilot and work backward from there, while minimizing Kirk's actions in "Amok Time" and the movies (Carol: "Jim Kirk was many things, but he was never a boy scout!") which firmly establish him as being insubordinate. Of course that comes from somewhere, he didn't just wake up one day and decide "F--k Starfleet, I'll do whatever I want!", it's a part of who he is.