Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 28 2014, 09:11 PM   #16
Markonian
Captain

Re: Would you want the STO Iconian look in the novelverse? - SPOILERS

Christopher wrote: View Post
After all, if a cowboy game can have animations for horses and buzzards, say, then it must be possible to program forms other than human bodies. So if the designers of a new SF game wanted to allow for multiple alien body types, having a few baseline types that were presumed to recur across multiple species might be a viable way to do it.
That is actually happening in STO. First, the targs and Gorn saurs used the same body plan, and became the baseline for what STOwiki terms quadropeds. They were cloned to include jackal mastiffs, warriguls, sehlats, etcs, and modified to feature different versions: pet cubs, adults, alpha males, etc. Shortly after, we got spiders and worms baselines.

Pet/wildlife species diversity increased rapidly to develop the New Romulan/Dewan fauna and one-off creatures. The latest new baseline models is the theropod dinosaur for domesticated raptor pets and the Voth's cybernetically augmented dinosaur troops.

Side note: Devidians are also humanoid but with different limb proportions and a non-humanoid head. They float like q contiually does but can execute some emotes.

Changelings can transform into preprogrammed fluid forms (swirling kick, melting, choking sling arm).

Btw, the idea of including the Xindi has been floating around, and hints are included here and there (e.g. a Xindi-Primate representative in the "Surface Tension" mission released last week), but the physiology of Insectoids and Aquarians are a challenge.
Old April 28 2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Markonian wrote: View Post
the Voth's cybernetically augmented dinosaur troops.
This is an appealing sentence. Or an appalling one. I'm not entirely sure which.

That said, given what you've just told us, that means theoretically STO could feature the Pahkwa-thanh with minimal difficulties?
Old April 28 2014, 09:23 PM   #18
Enterprise1701
Captain

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
That said, given what you've just told us, that means theoretically STO could feature the Pahkwa-thanh with minimal difficulties?
Probably. STO's Gorn are shown to mostly be humanoid reptilians about a head taller than humans or Klingons. Aren't those about the parameters of Pahkwa-thanh?
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 09:25 PM   #19
Markonian
Captain

This is an appealing sentence. Or an appalling one. I'm not entirely sure which.

Check for yourself: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Dankanasaur
There isn't an article yet for the Furiadon, but it's larger and has a mortar integrated in its back. There's also an armed Rex.

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
Probably. STO's Gorn are shown to mostly be humanoid reptilians about a head taller than humans or Klingons. Aren't those about the parameters of Pahkwa-thanh?
Pahkwa-thanh are non-humanoid, aren't they? They closer in body structure to common theropod like, say, the Dankansaur. At least, their snout is longer and they have tails, which the Gorn don't possess. That being said, Choblik could be cloned from the Dankansaur as non-player-characters.
Old April 28 2014, 09:28 PM   #20
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Check for yourself: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Dankanasaur
There isn't an article yet for the Furiadon, but it's larger and has a mortar integrated in its back. There's also an armed Rex.
I don't know whether to laugh, cry, shake my head and walk away, or applaud.
Old April 28 2014, 09:29 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
Not even close. Why do people keep thinking that? As I said above, Pahkwa-thanh have the proportions of a therapod dinosaur, with horizontal bodies and tails. Think Utahraptor with a Komodo-dragon head and more dexterous forelimbs. (And, uhh, no feathers.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 09:38 PM   #22
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

(e.g. a Xindi-Primate representative in the "Surface Tension" mission released last week).
Out of interest, is the Xindi representing his/her own people particularly, or is it a Federation representative?
Old April 28 2014, 09:45 PM   #23
Markonian
Captain

Out of interest, is the Xindi representing his/her own people particularly, or is it a Federation representative?
He is an unnamed male Federation Starfleet officer and states specifically his people are UFP members. He draws a parallel between the Sphere Builder's manipulation of the Xindi against Earth, and the Iconians' manipulation of Species 8472 against UFP and Klingon Empire.

The most noteworthy aspect is his open disgust for the Sphere Builders. The Xindi came to accept they were pawns in their game.

Another side-note: I toyed with character customization: You can't make a Jelna endomale or -female. Rigelian skin options are limited to the white/brown spectrum and they can't be red-eyed, and the distinct facial textures of Jelna are not available for Alien characters.
Old April 28 2014, 09:57 PM   #24
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

He is an unnamed male Federation Starfleet officer and states specifically his people are UFP members....The most noteworthy aspect is his open disgust for the Sphere Builders. The Xindi came to accept they were pawns in their game.
Awesome. There's a lot I don't like about the STO interpretation of the Trek 'verse (granted that their first priority is what makes an entertaining game), but this I fully support.
Old April 28 2014, 10:00 PM   #25
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Another side-note: I toyed with character customization: You can't make a Jelna endomale or -female. Rigelian skin options are limited to the white/brown spectrum and they can't be red-eyed, and the distinct facial textures of Jelna are not available for Alien characters.
So, remind me, for Federation member races, the game offers:

Human
Vulcan
Andorian (plus Aenar)
Tellarite
Rigelian (Jelna)
Saurian
Caitian
Benzite
Bolian
Betazoid
Trill
Bajoran
Denobulan?

And I'm sure you can make a bald human or Betazoid and call it a Deltan. Add possibly Xindi-Primate if they become playable...and that's not a bad selection of member races, actually. Nicely diverse.
Old April 28 2014, 10:07 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

You could perhaps make a Zami Rigelian (a la Tower of Babel) if you can modify a Vulcan skin with lighter hair and complexion and more subtly pointed ears. Or you could just go with a human-looking one. A big, burly human could be a Kalar with the right costuming. If you wanted a Chelon character, though, sounds like you'd be out of luck.

Old April 28 2014, 10:09 PM   #27
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the Voth will field some sort of bipedal Psittacosaur in the near future that can provide the base model...
Old April 28 2014, 10:20 PM   #28
Markonian
Captain

And I'm sure you can make a bald human or Betazoid and call it a Deltan. Add possibly Xindi-Primate if they become playable...and that's not a bad selection of member races, actually. Nicely diverse.
Let's check. I'm a sucker for species diversity and keep track of my characters and bridge officers. There are given playable species but you can make more "rubber-forehead" species using an Alien.

Federation playable species: Andorian, Bajoran, Benzite, Betazoids, Bolians, Caitians, Ferengi, Human, Human (liberated Borg), Klingon, Pakled (no kidding), Rigelian (Jelna exosexes), Saurian, Tellarite, Trill (unjoined), Trill (joined) and Vulcan.
Additional bridge officer species: Aenar (Take that, Extinction!), Android, Photonic, Voth
Klingon Empire: Klingon, Gorn (male only), Orion, Nausicaan (male only), Lethean (male only), Ferasan (sabertoothed Caitian offshoot)

Some notable species available via Alien: Denobulans, El-Aurian (or using Human), Deltan (or using bald Human/Betazoid), Cardassian, Hirogen, Nalori, Preserver, Vorta, Xenexian, Xindi-Primate (no other Xindi species, though), etc. etc.
Playable species of D'Tan's Romulan Republic are Reman, Romulan, liberated Borg Romulan and Alien.

You can't make an Yridian (yet?). Previous Dev comments suggested Talaxians and Ocampa could become playable UFP species, and the Empire would receive the Kazon. That would coincide with a Delta Quadrant expansion. The DQ is in focus since Season 8.
Old April 28 2014, 10:37 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

I'm afraid to ask how they interpret "Preserver." Please tell me it's not the First Humanoids from "The Chase."

Old April 28 2014, 10:48 PM   #30
Markonian
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm afraid to ask how they interpret "Preserver." Please tell me it's not the First Humanoids from "The Chase."
It's them.

They seeded the galaxy and went into hibernation in an underground archive on Lae'nas III, occasionally awakening to see what their descendants have built. The implication is that they're taken care of by the Deferi, their closest living relatives.
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Preserver