RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 551
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 3 2014, 08:52 PM   #61
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: The cruelest villains of Star Trek

Oh, come on. Khan is a terrific and selfless lover. The way he looks at her with that fiery intensity and tells her, "I'm glad you came. Please do it again."
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 08:58 PM   #62
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Marsden wrote: View Post
I think for "cruelty" champion, I pick Trelane. He seem to delight in it, for no reason but his own pleasure.

Dr. Adams is in the running.

Captain Tracey and Kor were certainly ruthless, but I didn't get the impression they enjoyed it, but I guess that doesn't make them less cruel.

I wouldn't pick Space Seed Khan, but Wrathful Khan, yes.

I think the Salt Sucker was a cruel beast.

Actually, one of my favorite things about Star Trek is the lack of "villainous" villains. A lot conflict is because of cultural differences and misunderstandings rather than what things devolve to in the time of the Star Trek movies.
He still was a bastard in Space Seed. A megalomaniac who used others for his own ends. That's pretty evil in my eyes. But, playing devil's advocate... he kind of had a reason to be angry in Wrath... his wife got killed on the planet... and Kirk and co... had left them there.

In a way though, I figure they rose up and struck back against him.
Old May 5 2014, 05:02 AM   #63
Push The Button
Captain

Fred Freiberger
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:52 AM   #64
drt
Commander

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
I think it was Rojan in "By Any Other Name" when he crushed the cube and then we found out it was the female red shirt that died.
I watched "By Any Other Name" for the first time in years the other night, I'd forgotten what a smug a-hole Rojan was.

He's probably my top choice at the moment.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 11:25 PM   #65
publiusr
Commodore

Captrek wrote: View Post
How about Jack the Ripper? He was pretty damn cruel.
Redjack is #1 in my book. Robert Bloch ladies and gents
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 03:14 AM   #66
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Not that it would matter so much now, because he'd be like 90, if he were still around today, but the actor who played Fleet Captain Garth had a heart attack and died in his late 30's! That's messed up! After seeing the episode again, recently, I noticed how he kept "feeding" off of the extras, during his Garthian Tirades, like he was trying to make them laugh, or using them to gage how over the top he was getting. It made me like his performance that much more. Good stuff ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 06:11 PM   #67
Marsden
Captain

I completely forgot Red Jack.

And don't forget his cousin in Day of the Dove.
Old May 6 2014, 06:29 PM   #68
E-DUB
Captain

No love for the "Intendant"?
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 06:33 PM   #69
Captrek
Rear Admiral

In this thread, we're using the title "Star Trek" in its original sense. DS9 isn't part of it.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 12:58 PM   #70
Timo
Admiral

...Although the TOS movies sorta figure in when Khan's change of personality from tyrant to lunatic is included in the discussions.

TNG and DS9 did have some pretty good optimized-for-their-shocking-cruelty villain types. But the spinoffs had other types of adversary, too. TOS is curiously bent on making every adversary a depraved sadist, an inhuman lunatic, or otherwise despicable character, with basically just two types of exception: the two Romulan commanders and the various humans from the past (and of the latter, most just stood in Kirk's way, rather than being active opponents of his).

Such treating of military opponents with military honor, perhaps to be expected from a militaristic show like TOS, didn't extend to Klingon adversaries, who were all given despicable traits in addition to their basic status as the enemy.

(Okay, so whether to consider Harry Mudd or Cyrano Jones adversaries is something of a matter of opinion. They weren't depraved, lunatic, or despicable, although "pitiable" is another epithet the spinoffs didn't overuse. Then again, the spinoff villains aren't quite as memorable!)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote