Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 27 2014, 01:06 PM   #31
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

Re: The cruelest villains of Star Trek

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Fleet Captain Garth was very cruel, but he was also mentally unstable. So, it's hard to know if "cruelty" really applies, as he is acting on insane, erratic impulses and compulsions. Much of his cruelty was revealed in dialogue, however, enough was shown to rank him pretty high on this list of "Cruelest Villains of STAR TREK." Sweet, beautiful (and dangerously unbalanced) Marta getting dragged out from her bed, into the poisonous atmosphere was sadistic enough. But to stuff her jewelry with TNT and to blow her up like a New Year's Eve firecracker was too much to forgive ...
Forgot about that. Yes more cruel than Khaun, however as you said he was also mentally ill.
evangelist6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 06:28 PM   #32
Timo
Admiral

Well, by the TOS definition, breaking the law is the same thing as being mentally ill, so that doesn't tell us much. (But Garth bellowing "Lord Garth!!" is telling enough.)

What's this thing about Tracey starting a war? He started nothing - the Yangs were slaughtering the Kohms when he arrived. And killing, oh, a thousand Yangs shouldn't even register on the scale of evil, considering how many the Yangs had killed so far (that is, every single Kohm on the planet, save for those Tracey protected). It's just too bad Kirk didn't agree to wiping out the evil Yang once and for all.

Yes, Khan's villainy was of the bloodless sort. He had a soft touch and a smooth turn of phrase in general, and he was the one who made the choice not to kill Kirk and the rest of the bridge crew. But he did appear to think he had succeeded in killing Kirk in the pressure chamber - and we have no idea what his designs for the crew were, once his capture of the Enterprise would be complete.

Since Kirk was an admirer of Khan, the villain couldn't be too villainy, lest Kirk's credibility be ruined. Perhaps Kirk got the idea of marooning Khan from the master himself, that is, Khan's plan had been to strand Kirk's 430 crew on a habitable planet?

(He did maroon the crew of the Reliant if we can believe Chekov, rather than killing them - and that was the crazy version of the man. Khan, I mean, although admittedly Chekov wasn't in complete control of his faculties, either.)

Hmm. My vote for the biggest villain goes collectively for everybody who survived "Metamorphosis", that is, contributed to feeding Nancy Hedford to the Companion...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 07:32 PM   #33
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

evangelist6589 wrote: View Post
Forgot about that. Yes more cruel than Khaun, however as you said he was also mentally ill.
Remember Khaun makes a villain of Khan and U.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 08:50 PM   #34
BigJake
Rear Admiral

The Omega Glory I need to watch again and what other episodes?
Space Seed and Errand of Mercy are the ones I referenced.
Old April 27 2014, 10:12 PM   #35
Bixby
Commander

Bixby wrote: View Post
KHAN actually killed a total of 0 (zero) enemies during his episode and the cruelest thing he did was to gas the crew into blissful unconsciousness. Not very cruel if you ask me.

The crown, IMO goes to Captain Ronald Tracey of the Exeter, for cold-bloodedly disintegrating a fellow Starfleet officer, starting a war between two peoples on a more primitive planet, and engaging in a death duel with another ship's Captain.
What episode?
Sighhh, there IS such a thing as Google to search for basic information like this. Honestly, usually I'm usually more than happy to help out members who search for things when I can, but many of your threads in the last few weeks seem just thrown out there...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 11:52 PM   #36
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

BigJake wrote: View Post
The Omega Glory I need to watch again and what other episodes?
Space Seed and Errand of Mercy are the ones I referenced.
Thank you. Will need to watch Errand of Mercy and The Omega Glory again. I did use google to read up on these episodes.
Old April 28 2014, 01:36 AM   #37
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

KHAN actually killed a total of 0 (zero) enemies during his episode and the cruelest thing he did was to gas the crew into blissful unconsciousness. Not very cruel if you ask me.

The crown, IMO goes to Captain Ronald Tracey of the Exeter, for cold-bloodedly disintegrating a fellow Starfleet officer, starting a war between two peoples on a more primitive planet, and engaging in a death duel with another ship's Captain.
What episode?
Sighhh, there IS such a thing as Google to search for basic information like this. Honestly, usually I'm usually more than happy to help out members who search for things when I can, but many of your threads in the last few weeks seem just thrown out there...
I do use Google regularly for Trek info, however all I needed was a episode name to learn more.
Old April 28 2014, 09:20 PM   #38
foxhot
Fleet Captain

PCz911 wrote: View Post
Shawnster wrote: View Post
MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
I think it was Rojan in "By Any Other Name" when he crushed the cube and then we found out it was the female red shirt that died.
Oh yes. This. For some reason I, likewise, thought it was worse that the female red shirt was the one that died and not the male.

But Rojan has got to count for that. So cold blooded.
I totally forgot about that. In the 60's at least they didn't try to bring her remains from the "dehydrated porous cuboctahedron solid" (source: memory alpha) back. Ugh. What a mess that would have been. If done today, they might well have gone for the shock effect.
This scenario occurs in a short-story fan-fic (fortunately all-text, no pics) which results in the humanized Kelvans losing their lunch. Google ''No Apologies'' by Gorojib for the rest of the story.
Old April 28 2014, 11:15 PM   #39
Vandervecken
Commander

BigJake wrote: View Post
PCz911 wrote: View Post
Didn't Tracey also 'drain' a phaser killing lots of natives? That would seem to be a lot of death.
Actually it was four phasers. Probably accounting for thousands of deaths. Tracey would be my pick for this alone if the Omega Glory wasn't ultimately so ridiculous.

I agree with the earlier comment that Khan does not in fact come across as particularly cruel. Ruthless, arrogant and barbaric, certainly, but not cruel. (In his mad incarnation in TWOK is a different story, but I'm sticking within TOS parameters.)

My vote would be for Kor (thanks Marsden for providing the correct name), who was just as unflinching about mass death as Tracey was. Granted he didn't genuinely get to kill anyone in the outing we saw... but he didn't know that.
Kor (who returns in Ds9) would have been my vote. And let's be real here: John Colicos was a helluva lot better actor than Morgan Woodward (who was very good) or Ricardo Montalban (who I always found meh). If any one of the villains we've seen has that Bond villain touch, it's Kor, and with style. Could you imagine the return of Kor in one of the earlier Trek films?

It would have been glorious.
Old April 28 2014, 11:40 PM   #40
Marsden
Captain

Vandervecken wrote: View Post

You mean better than Reverend Jim in space?
Old April 29 2014, 02:34 AM   #41
Vger23
Lieutenant

I've always said that Ron Tracey was the most evil enemy encountered in the Original Series. He not only committed mass murder and violated his most sacred oath as a Starship Captain, but he tried to bring the end down on Kirk and the rest of the Enterprise crew. He killed the security officer in cold blood, almost killed Spock, was cold about the death of his crew, and would have slaughtered Kirk as well.

Just a ruthless, selfish, evil, man. A lot of the other villains were either comic bookish / mustache twirling or were misunderstod / shades of gray types. Tracey was just evil. And, the fact that this is Kirk's peer, the Captain of a Constitution-class starship...that makes it even scarier.
Old April 29 2014, 05:17 AM   #42
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Makes one wonder how Tracey managed to graduate from the Academy and attain command of a starship in the first place, if he was so evil...

Marsden wrote: View Post

You mean better than Reverend Jim in space?
Think of what Kruge would have been like with the original actor considered for the role: Edward James Olmos...

(IIRC, either Harve Bennett or Leonard Nimoy wanted EJO for the role, but was overruled by the other.)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 05:45 AM   #43
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Totally. And probably better that what they did with Kor in DS9 in some ways.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Makes one wonder how Tracey managed to graduate from the Academy and attain command of a starship in the first place, if he was so evil...
Not really. Tracey's actions actually had a plausible motivation: he was obsessed with trying to salvage something from the loss of his ship and crew -- which had driven him insane -- and his obsession twisted him. Prior to that, Kirk's account suggests he was a model officer.

A lot of Trek villains (or insane guest stars) were interesting in this way: there was often a kind of there-but-for-the-grace-of-God quality to them, the sense that a lot of what separated them from Kirk and company were simply chance differences of circumstance, and that the Enterprise often benefited from sheer luck in not sharing their fate. The same was true of Commodore Decker in "The Doomsday Machine," or any number of lost crews of crashed and derelict Federation ships they ran across.

(You know what has always intrigued me, incidentally and admittedly a bit off topic? The story of the crew of the USS Archon. They chanced to run across Landru in a ship that wasn't advanced enough to survive "his" attack, but they still managed to organize a cell-based resistance movement that was a live concern a hundred years later and that saved [a somewhat unappreciative] Captain Kirk's bacon. What an undertaking that would have been.)

Last edited by BigJake; April 29 2014 at 05:56 AM.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 08:30 AM   #44
Captrek
Rear Admiral

How about Jack the Ripper? He was pretty damn cruel.

However, if the entity in TFF really is responsible for Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and all their derivatives, then He probably takes the cake.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 01:18 PM   #45
johcomp
Lieutenant Commander

Those two albino nasties on The Empath were pretty evil and sadistic!
johcomp is offline   Reply With Quote