RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 480
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 26 2014, 02:45 PM   #1
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

The cruelest villains of Star Trek

I am sure no one would disagree that Khaun takes the cake, but whom else would be considered cruel? Perhaps the Klingon from Day of the Dove? Perhaps Lord Garth? Perhaps General Greene from a season 3 episode? General Greene pretended to be friendly with Kirk but tricked him, only to have murdered a Vulcan and Abraham Lincoln as well! In history Greene came before Lincoln, but what a cruel character no doubt whom wants victory and advancement at any cost. After I finish season 3 I am gonna re-watch various episodes in the first 2 seasons to become more familiar with them. But there is a Klingon episode from season 1 that featured a cruel Klingon whom may be considered.

Whom else?
evangelist6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Bixby
Commander

Re: The cruelest villains of Star Trek

KHAN actually killed a total of 0 (zero) enemies during his episode and the cruelest thing he did was to gas the crew into blissful unconsciousness. Not very cruel if you ask me.

The crown, IMO goes to Captain Ronald Tracey of the Exeter, for cold-bloodedly disintegrating a fellow Starfleet officer, starting a war between two peoples on a more primitive planet, and engaging in a death duel with another ship's Captain.
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 04:01 PM   #3
PCz911
Lieutenant Commander

Didn't Tracey also 'drain' a phaser killing lots of natives? That would seem to be a lot of death.
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Bixby wrote: View Post
KHAN actually killed a total of 0 (zero) enemies during his episode and the cruelest thing he did was to gas the crew into blissful unconsciousness. Not very cruel if you ask me.
Must cruelty = amount of people personally killed by villain?

Can we count Kruge in this mix? The killing of Valaris seemed totally cruel and without need.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Bixby
Commander

Shawnster wrote: View Post

Must cruelty = amount of people personally killed by villain?

Can we count Kruge in this mix? The killing of Valaris seemed totally cruel and without need.
Well, if gassing many people is cruel, then being a dentist is the cruelest profession of all
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 05:53 PM   #6
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

T'Pring - just divorce the guy
Melakon - Hitler wannabee
Janice Lester - killed her colleagues just to get close to Kirk
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 07:53 PM   #7
MarsWeeps
Captain

I think it was Rojan in "By Any Other Name" when he crushed the cube and then we found out it was the female red shirt that died.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Melakon
Vice Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
T'Pring - just divorce the guy
Melakon - Hitler wannabee
Janice Lester - killed her colleagues just to get close to Kirk
Now just a minute here. I don't know who this Hitler guy is you're talking about, I only wanted to replace John Gill due to his debilitating illness. Then some Zeon pig shot me.
Old April 26 2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
I think it was Rojan in "By Any Other Name" when he crushed the cube and then we found out it was the female red shirt that died.
Oh yes. This. For some reason I, likewise, thought it was worse that the female red shirt was the one that died and not the male.

But Rojan has got to count for that. So cold blooded.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 10:33 PM   #10
Melakon
Vice Admiral

For some reason I, likewise, thought it was worse that the female red shirt was the one that died and not the male.
This sort of reads as if it's saying it's too bad the pretty white girl died and not the black guy.

If you keep track of the styrofoam blocks though, he does crush the girl.
Old April 26 2014, 11:26 PM   #11
PCz911
Lieutenant Commander

Oh yes. This. For some reason I, likewise, thought it was worse that the female red shirt was the one that died and not the male.

But Rojan has got to count for that. So cold blooded.
I totally forgot about that. In the 60's at least they didn't try to bring her remains from the "dehydrated porous cuboctahedron solid" (source: memory alpha) back. Ugh. What a mess that would have been. If done today, they might well have gone for the shock effect.
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 11:49 PM   #12
MarsWeeps
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
For some reason I, likewise, thought it was worse that the female red shirt was the one that died and not the male.
This sort of reads as if it's saying it's too bad the pretty white girl died and not the black guy.
Color had nothing to do with it. We were used to male red shirts dying all the time. To have the female die instead was a bigger (and unexpected) shock.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 12:14 AM   #13
BigJake
Rear Admiral

PCz911 wrote: View Post
Didn't Tracey also 'drain' a phaser killing lots of natives? That would seem to be a lot of death.
Actually it was four phasers. Probably accounting for thousands of deaths. Tracey would be my pick for this alone if the Omega Glory wasn't ultimately so ridiculous.

I agree with the earlier comment that Khan does not in fact come across as particularly cruel. Ruthless, arrogant and barbaric, certainly, but not cruel. (In his mad incarnation in TWOK is a different story, but I'm sticking within TOS parameters.)

My vote would be for Kor (thanks Marsden for providing the correct name), who was just as unflinching about mass death as Tracey was. Granted he didn't genuinely get to kill anyone in the outing we saw... but he didn't know that.

Last edited by BigJake; April 27 2014 at 01:13 AM.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 12:56 AM   #14
Marsden
Captain

I think for "cruelty" champion, I pick Trelane. He seem to delight in it, for no reason but his own pleasure.

Dr. Adams is in the running.

Captain Tracey and Kor were certainly ruthless, but I didn't get the impression they enjoyed it, but I guess that doesn't make them less cruel.

I wouldn't pick Space Seed Khan, but Wrathful Khan, yes.

I think the Salt Sucker was a cruel beast.

Actually, one of my favorite things about Star Trek is the lack of "villainous" villains. A lot conflict is because of cultural differences and misunderstandings rather than what things devolve to in the time of the Star Trek movies.
Old April 27 2014, 01:15 AM   #15
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post
Actually, one of my favorite things about Star Trek is the lack of "villainous" villains. A lot conflict is because of cultural differences and misunderstandings rather than what things devolve to in the time of the Star Trek movies.
I agree with this.

Although there is a great example of well-realized and truly, personally sadistic villainy in Trek, but he doesn't come from TOS.