RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,143
Posts: 5,401,955
Members: 24,748
Currently online: 440
Newest member: ChrisCrash

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 28 2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Levi
Lieutenant Commander
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Location: Earth Space Dock
Question about uniform changes

I just watched DS9 EP11 (homefront) and EP12 (paradise lost).

I was under the impression that Starfleet uniforms changed over time. We see the uniforms change several times, in the movies I believe. When new uniforms are created we see the new ones being implemented and old ones slowly phased out.
On DS9, they wear the Color designation on the shoulders with the greyish blue turtlenecks.
But in the episodes I mentioned, when Sisko returns to Earth, they change back into TNG era uniforms.

Why do they change back to these uniforms?

Are there different uniforms for different area's of service? I thought the only difference in uniforms was color designation. I know that with so many personnel in StarFleet they can't get everyone into new uniforms right away it takes time to phase them in, but I would think StarFleet Command would have had the new uniforms by this time!
I even gave thought to maybe Ship uniforms differ from Station uniforms, but DS9 and Voyager are the same. And TNG and the ones in these episodes on Earth are the same.

So, what is the significance of wearing different styles of uniforms?


*I posted this in DS9 forums since I watched it in DS9. Sorry if this should go somewhere else.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 07:36 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Question about uniform changes

I figure the TNG style uni's are "smart" dress for Earth. The DS9 ones were originally designed to evoke dirty work overalls, after all.

Why they suddenly became the norm for Voyager and Generations, though...
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: Question about uniform changes

Levi wrote: View Post
I just watched DS9 EP11 (homefront) and EP12 (paradise lost).

I was under the impression that Starfleet uniforms changed over time. We see the uniforms change several times, in the movies I believe. When new uniforms are created we see the new ones being implemented and old ones slowly phased out.
On DS9, they wear the Color designation on the shoulders with the greyish blue turtlenecks.
But in the episodes I mentioned, when Sisko returns to Earth, they change back into TNG era uniforms.



Why do they change back to these uniforms?

Are there different uniforms for different area's of service? I thought the only difference in uniforms was color designation. I know that with so many personnel in StarFleet they can't get everyone into new uniforms right away it takes time to phase them in, but I would think StarFleet Command would have had the new uniforms by this time!
I even gave thought to maybe Ship uniforms differ from Station uniforms, but DS9 and Voyager are the same. And TNG and the ones in these episodes on Earth are the same.

So, what is the significance of wearing different styles of uniforms?


*I posted this in DS9 forums since I watched it in DS9. Sorry if this should go somewhere else.
I think it is meant to represent the nature of the posting. Both uniform styles existed at the same time in the Trek universe, with TNG maintaining the torso colors while DS9 had the shoulder colors. I've heard that the torso colors were more formal, more of a sense of representing the Federation on a larger scale, while the should colors suggested less formal posting. You should note that Voyager used shoulder colors as well, and its mission was not as diplomatic as Enterprise's.

Why they suddenly became the norm for Voyager and Generations, though...
I don't know about you, but the TNG uniformed looked a lot like sweatpants to me.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Levi
Lieutenant Commander
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Location: Earth Space Dock
Re: Question about uniform changes

But then why does the Enterprise change to the same uniforms from DS9 and Voyager? In the Generations movie I believe.

Though it does make sense with certain uniforms, like the TNG era ones, being more of a formal type and the DS9/Voy being a more work style.
But some ways that doesn't make sense with the way they use and place them throughout different series/movies.

I had even thought maybe it was just something that the writers or whomever didn't give much thought to. But then it seems like they did this change for a fairly certain reason.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 08:06 PM   #5
PaleMoonlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Question about uniform changes

I always though (and read somewhere) that the uniform in DS9 were because they were on a starbase. That doesn't explain VOY though
__________________
"Not now, Quark!"
PaleMoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 10:46 PM   #6
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Question about uniform changes

This question comes up a lot. It seems like the TNG style was appropriate for Earth, but officers stationed on starships or starbases could wear whatever the commanding officer thought was appropriate for the setting. It's not unlike professional sports teams wearing alternate uniforms on special days (Sunday day games, for instance).

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 11:47 PM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Question about uniform changes

Sran wrote: View Post
It seems like the TNG style was appropriate for Earth, but officers stationed on starships or starbases could wear whatever the commanding officer thought was appropriate for the setting.
Yes, I think this is how it works on modern day US Navy vessels, for example. They have the 'uniform of the day', which is basically whatever the captain says it is.

It's not unlike professional sports teams wearing alternate uniforms on special days (Sunday day games, for instance).
Or the 1979 Pirates, who wore whatever Willie Stargell wanted.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 01:01 AM   #8
DS9forever
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Question about uniform changes

Sisko, Bashir and Dax all wore the TNG style uniforms when they arrived on DS9 in "Emissary".
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 04:32 AM   #9
od0_ital
Admiral
 
od0_ital's Avatar
 
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Question about uniform changes

^

Chief O'Brien wore the TNG style when he returned to the Enterprise-D in 'Emissary', as well.

Though ya gotta wonder why he would beam out from a docked ship...

As for the uniform changes...durin' TNG, the first/second season style uniforms were still in use durin' the third & fourth seasons 'til the new version became the standard for everyone.

The same may be true for the DS9 style - it was added to the uniform options and was slowly phased in as the standard over time. It would easily explain why both styles were used in GEN, and why VOY had it, while Sisko used it when he returned to Earth.
__________________
od0's bucket od0's facebook
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 10:55 PM   #10
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Question about uniform changes

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Though ya gotta wonder why he would beam out from a docked ship...
I think that was a symbolic gesture given that he was leaving the ship for the last time. So much of his work aboard the Enterprise involved maintaining the transporters, so it was only fitting that he officially left the ship that way. It was also nice of Picard to see him off the way he did.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 11:18 PM   #11
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Question about uniform changes

It could be etiquette. TNG style uniforms for earth and exploration, white uniforms for dress occasions, black-bodied color-shoulders for mission based operations, and grey shoulders for war.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 11:22 PM   #12
Campe98
Commodore
 
Campe98's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: Question about uniform changes

The idea was that the DS9 jumpsuits were Class B's... Since they were on a dirty, hardly functioning Cardassian monstrosity (which I love), they needed to be okay with getting their hands dirty. My thought about Generations was that Picard finally loosened up and let them wear some Class B's. I'm totally baffled as to why DS9 suddenly changed to the Class A's from the TNG movies First Contact on. But I liked it. As for Voyager wearing the DS9 Class B's... Well, how much actually made sense on that show anyway? Plus, come on, with as much holographic power they used (separate power grid... please) and shuttles they replicated, they totally could have gotten the FC uniforms too after getting in touch with the Alpha Quadrant.
__________________
"Living is easy with eyes closed."
John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever
Campe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 12:32 AM   #13
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Question about uniform changes

Campe98 wrote: View Post
The idea was that the DS9 jumpsuits were Class B's... Since they were on a dirty, hardly functioning Cardassian monstrosity (which I love), they needed to be okay with getting their hands dirty. My thought about Generations was that Picard finally loosened up and let them wear some Class B's. I'm totally baffled as to why DS9 suddenly changed to the Class A's from the TNG movies First Contact on. But I liked it. As for Voyager wearing the DS9 Class B's... Well, how much actually made sense on that show anyway? Plus, come on, with as much holographic power they used (separate power grid... please) and shuttles they replicated, they totally could have gotten the FC uniforms too after getting in touch with the Alpha Quadrant.
My theory is that Starfleet Command decided it was time for a more... uniform stance on uniforms and did away with the TNG and DS9 variations in favor of the black and gray look.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 12:45 AM   #14
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Question about uniform changes

The United States Navy has an absurd number of uniforms styles - five, at least - and they are updating each version of those, at least annually. They are always sending out questionaires to sailors about them, because they genuinely want them to be comfortable and for the sailors to feel proud wearing them. It is not at all unrealistic to think that STARFLEET would've done the same, but I don't really care for the uniform patterns from DS9 onwards. I thought the turtleneck dickies or whatever they're called looked really bad. Honestly, I'm a big fan of the original uniforms seen in TNG's first 2 seasons. I would've been happy if they kept that.
__________________
It Takes Two.™
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 04:35 AM   #15
Levi
Lieutenant Commander
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Location: Earth Space Dock
Re: Question about uniform changes

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
...Honestly, I'm a big fan of the original uniforms seen in TNG's first 2 seasons. I would've been happy if they kept that.
I know a few people who really liked those ones as well. I didn't mind them, but my favorite was the later TNG style uniform. I was sad when they (i had thought anyways) switched over to the Voyager style. But eventually, I was happy with the Grey tone jacket over the colored coveralls (or whatever).
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.