Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old May 4 2014, 07:03 AM   #31
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Your ideal New Trek Series

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
Bry, sorry about the lack of aliens but as this is an Earth ship I was going for a primarily Earth crew. Although I did try to pick some nationalities that we hadn't really seen on Trek before, or at least had seen little of. Canadian, Italian, Egyptian, Brazilian, German, and Irish.
Don't get me wrong, I like the representation of other nationalities, but in a universe where there can be such varied and diverse alien life-form through which to examine the "human condition" and look at things from a whole different perspective, I find that a far more interesting insight.

Besides the last time we had an "Earth ship" it was cancelled after four years
Old May 4 2014, 10:33 AM   #32
2takesfrakes
Commodore

This:

Star Trek:
From the Ashes
I hate it.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 12:21 PM   #33
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
This:

Star Trek:
From the Ashes
I hate it.
From you I expect no less.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 12:28 PM   #34
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Bry, sorry about the lack of aliens but as this is an Earth ship I was going for a primarily Earth crew. Although I did try to pick some nationalities that we hadn't really seen on Trek before, or at least had seen little of. Canadian, Italian, Egyptian, Brazilian, German, and Irish.
Don't get me wrong, I like the representation of other nationalities, but in a universe where there can be such varied and diverse alien life-form through which to examine the "human condition" and look at things from a whole different perspective, I find that a far more interesting insight.
Fair enough.

I contend that, that was due to a poor production, lazy writing, weak casting, and a generally bad execution of the idea, rather than a weakness in the premise itself. But you're fully entitled to feel differently about it.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 02:22 PM   #35
Vger23
Lieutenant

Fair enough.

I contend that, that was due to a poor production, lazy writing, weak casting, and a generally bad execution of the idea, rather than a weakness in the premise itself. But you're fully entitled to feel differently about it.
I agree that the answer isn't to have a bunch of alien crew members. If you want to have a series that explores the human condition, you should do it through humanity being heavily represented. One, maybe two non-human characters are good, but we don't need a bunch.
Old May 4 2014, 04:52 PM   #36
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I don't dispute any of those points (it was badly written, terribly cast, and poorly executed), but the premise itself was weak to begin with. A ship full of humans could easily be Stargate or any other sci-fi series. If it'd been based on one of the first Federation ships post-Romulan War it would've been a far more dynamic show.

Vger23 wrote: View Post
I agree that the answer isn't to have a bunch of alien crew members. If you want to have a series that explores the human condition, you should do it through humanity being heavily represented. One, maybe two non-human characters are good, but we don't need a bunch.
Of all the Trek series' DS9 had by far, IMHO, the most interesting character, only a small percentage of which (main and recurring) were humans, which gave the show much greater depth than any of the others.

Then just look at the likes of FarScape, which had only one human and did far more interesting and sometimes risky stories than VOY or ENT, whilst still being very human at its core--given that the focus was on and from Crichton.
Old May 4 2014, 06:50 PM   #37
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I think Vger23 and Duncan Macleod's ideas both have something to recommend them... but then I'm already on record as favoring a concept reboot much like Vger23's idea pushed into the far future like Duncan's idea, so I would.
Old May 4 2014, 07:52 PM   #38
Palandine
Cadet

With today's current TV trends, I really believe the Vanguard series would make the ideal next Trek series. TV series back on epic novel lines are hot right now, and the tight nature of the storyline would fit the trend to shorter seasons. Each book would correspond to a season, with about 10-12 episodes each. You could even release them all at once, Netflix-style. The Trek meets West Wing meets Lost feel to Vanguard, with the depth and complexity of character and storylines (without being too dark) would really capture the modern viewers attention, I think.

I can't get this teaser trailer out of my head - The camera starts from high above, in an otherwise dark cabaret stage, a lone female figure is playing "Rhapsody in Blue" at a spotlighted piano. Next shot starts at the foot of the piano, close up, and slowly pans out, eventually revealing the player wearing the classic red TOS minidress. The last thing we see before the camera snaps to black is the fact that player has pointed ears. Then the Vanguard logo flashes up on the screen as the jazz music fades out....

Palandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 01:44 AM   #39
2takesfrakes
Commodore

From you I expect no less.
Oh, yeah? Well ... I'll have you know, sir, that an ex-girlfriend of mine once likened me to ... ambrosia.

2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 09:23 AM   #40
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Palandine wrote: View Post
the Vanguard series
Another space station show?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 04:35 AM   #41
Ralphis
Lieutenant

T'Girl wrote: View Post
ENT was a missed oppertunity, the decision to make the captain a innocent stumbling fool was a mistake. A few of the character were fine in isolation, but the crew never "meshed."

While not disregarding what happen in ENT, have another go at a pre-TOS series.

I always thought the Romulan War would be a good setting for a show or movie. I actually had thought at one time Future Guy was actually a future Romulan trying to change the course of history.

I'd set a TV show almost exactly where ENT left off (Demons and Terra Prime), but with a different ship and crew (Daedalus-class anybody?).

It would showcase the events leading up to the war with the Romulans, but also explore more prequel aspects that lead into TOS and even the TNG-era.

And it would be on Netflix or Amazon or Hulu, just so it can actually thrive without network involvement.

And Han shoots first.
Ralphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 07:41 AM   #42
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Ralphis wrote: View Post
I always thought the Romulan War would be a good setting for a show or movie. I actually had thought at one time Future Guy was actually a future Romulan trying to change the course of history.
Seeing as how the PTB didn't know who Future Guy was, that's as good an explanation as any

I'd set a TV show almost exactly where ENT left off (Demons and Terra Prime), but with a different ship and crew (Daedalus-class anybody?).

It would showcase the events leading up to the war with the Romulans, but also explore more prequel aspects that lead into TOS and even the TNG-era.
ENT should've been on a Daedalus-Class ship from the very start.

And Han shoots first.
Of course he does, a scoundrel like him doesn't live as long as he has without knowing when to shoot first and walk away calmly without asking any questions.
Old May 7 2014, 06:45 PM   #43
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Take the NCC-1701-A series starship, call it something other than Enterprise, put a new crew on it, and have lots of planet of the week stories with an occasional story-arc thrown in.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 03:54 PM   #44
The Colonel
Lieutenant Junior Grade

You all have some good ideas. I just think that CBS or another network that buys the rights is going to do some sort of reboot or reimagining. Everything today is about brand recognition and I think the creators of a new series will be pressured to draw upon either TOS of TNG, the two Star Trek series that have had the most cultural impact and recognition. Something entirely new will be considered too risky.
Old May 8 2014, 11:29 PM   #45
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

Female android captain, male holographic science officer that is followed around by an orb that projects him but also offers advice and a Borg doctor. Maybe a Klingon counselor.
TayLaLaLa is online now   Reply With Quote