Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 26 2014, 05:17 AM   #31
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Re: Lucasfilm announces a new direction for the Star Wars EU

I think this was probably needed at this point.

Personally, I felt things got off the rails after "Legacy of the Force".

I very much enjoyed the EU and nobody is burning the books I have. I'll enjoy both continuities.
Old April 26 2014, 05:24 AM   #32
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

dansigal wrote: View Post
Here we go again. Listen, I'll give you this, you're 100% right that at the end of the day, this sucks for fans of the EU who want to see it continue, because that's clearly not the direction they are going. You have every right to be both saddened and disappointed by that decision because it's not what you were hoping for. That's completely fair.

Where you lose everyone with any sense of rationality is your personal attacks on Abrams and the current Disney regime and your absolute certainty that what they put out won't be any good. Why not at least be open to the possibility that they will create something new for you to enjoy?
They won't. They won't recreate a character like Mara Jade. Or Kal Skirata, Corran Horn, Tycho Clechu, Winter, Rogue Squadron, Wraith Squadron, Delta/Omega Commando Squads, the Null Commandoes, Jaina Solo, Ben Skywalker, Kyp Durron, Thrawn, Tenel Ka and more, many I enjoy more than Han, Luke and Leia (although I enjoy the "big three" a lot, too). They are throwing characters many fans have grown invested in over years down the toilet so that disney can churn out some corporate controlled crap. At least the people screwing Star Trek's corpse let me keep reading about Picard & co.

Also, I won't let up on Abrams. He already destroyed Star Trek, now he has Star Wars in his clutches. Sure, he's not the only factor in the destruction of either franchise (movie companies wanting to turn these great franchises into the next transformers is probably the biggest reason for their destruction) but he's a part of it, and he's a common denominator in the death of two of the greatest sci fi franchises.

At least if he wasn't around we might have gotten some halfway decent Star wars movies as consolation to them destroying the main reason I love the franchise. Instead, its just guaranteed to be Transformers-like action crap (which, when it comes to Sci Fi, is obviously all Abrams is capable of, or cares to do). Its like getting punched in the face, and then kicked in the groin just to rub it in. I don't care if he's only a director, as Nolan and Bay proved, Directors have A LOT of influence on their movies. Plus, Abrams is listed as one of the screenplay writers for episode 7, so he's going to have an even more direct hand on ruining Star Wars.

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
kirk55555 - why don't you put aside your preconceptions and just give it a go ? It may or may not surprise you, but you cannot possibly be certain at this point.

If it is still crap, what have you lost by checking it out ?
Its not about preconceptions. Character I like are getting thrown away because the people in charge are a bunch of a-holes. They should have kept the books as a different universe. By "checking it out", I'm just reading some idiots writing about a bunch of characters that are nothing like the ones I enjoy. Oh, if the library gets books any I might read them, but then again I also watched Star Trek: Into Darkness and The Dark Knight Rises. I have a bad habit of my nerdiness making me suffer through things I know I'll hate, just because I loved the franchises before they got destroyed.

Marc wrote: View Post
And frankly if it hadn't happened, people like you would be jumping and down complain about how the new movies contradicted what was in the EU.
If it hadn't happened, then I wouldn't give a s&^t about the movies. If the books stayed as their own universe, then the real star wars would survive. I wouldn't have to pay any attention to how badly JJ Abrams and the idiot writers prove that even Lucas at his worst is more skilled then them. I could enjoy the possibility of reading about my favorite characters.

Instead, every fan of the EU (and there are a lot of them, as evidenced by the fact that the EU has survived for so long, no matter what the EU haters say), are being completely screwed. It wouldn't have hurt to keep the old EU around around. The vast majority of SW movie fans, like many people, probably don't read books regularly anyway. The EU has lasted a long time on fan support. The people who read the books are the big fans, the ones that movies don't need to worry about, but tie-in material like books definitely do.

Instead, we get Disney giving the middle finger to the Sci Fi fans who enjoy the Star Wars EU, and they know they can get away with it. I wish they'd just stop making books, its better than punching EU fans and then throwing poo at them and expecting them to buy it.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 05:34 AM   #33
Sparky
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
So basically, everything the EU ever did set after ROTJ is no longer in canon, and probably everything before ROTJ, too.
Hallelujah.

The EU has always been shite. Ever since the announcement of the new movies, this is what I was hoping and waiting for. Good on Disney for sweeping aside the cream of the crap. (I wouldn't mind if they disavowed Episodes I-III though.)
Old April 26 2014, 05:42 AM   #34
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I'm curious to find out what Kirk55555 thought would happen to the EU when new movies were announced?
Old April 26 2014, 05:50 AM   #35
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I find it hilarious they've hired James Luceno to write one of the new books, when his main power as an author is regurgitating EU facts.
Old April 26 2014, 06:11 AM   #36
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

But the real question is, are the Ewok Adventure films still canon?
Old April 26 2014, 09:20 AM   #37
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Ever since the New Jedi Order ended the EU novels have been more miss than hit. The last two series, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi were bloated messes. I have all the Fate books but I haven't been able to bring myself to read the last 4 books. I barely managed to get through Legacy. So I welcome the new EU.
Old April 26 2014, 09:28 AM   #38
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I'm curious to find out what Kirk55555 thought would happen to the EU when new movies were announced?
Maybe he thought that the script writer was going to be expected to read all of them and ensure his film was consistent with them? Then in the film itself, instead of the traditional opening crawl, the crawl would appear every four minutes to explain some complex backstory to the viewer.

More seriously what EU fan more than likely really hates is all that triva they have learnt over the years is worthless, so when they talk to a normal person and say "well you see 40 years after Return of the Jedi, Dark Jockstrap hunted for the rampo crystal and he's the son of the second cousin of the guy who refueled Luke's X-wing".

The normal person can quite rightly say "what the fuck are you talking about? None of that happened?" *

* although most normal people only ever said that already.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 11:38 AM   #39
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

They won't recreate a character like Mara Jade. Or Kal Skirata, Corran Horn, Tycho Clechu, Winter, Rogue Squadron, Wraith Squadron, Delta/Omega Commando Squads, the Null Commandoes, Jaina Solo, Ben Skywalker, Kyp Durron, Thrawn, Tenel Ka and more, many I enjoy more than Han, Luke and Leia (although I enjoy the "big three" a lot, too). They are throwing characters many fans have grown invested in over years down the toilet
Thank the Midichlorians that they are. Those characters and concepts served their purpose. At this point, including them in new stories is pure rehash. Starting fresh with the EU lets writers use the best elements of those characters in new, fresh stories. And they won't be tied down the minutiae of used up characters.
Old April 26 2014, 11:42 AM   #40
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Agreed. The original EU has played itself out and then some. It's done. Time to move on.
Old April 26 2014, 12:26 PM   #41
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

If someone presented you with a Star Wars movie set after New Jedi Order, Legacy and Fate, would you even recognise it as Star Wars? The EU by that point had so changed the nature of the universe from what the movies had presented that it wasn't the same thing any more. Besides, the movie are family movies, whereas the EU had grown up with the fans that had fallen in love with the movies 40 years ago, and these were adult novels. The minute you introduce a universe with the Vong, then you get Star Wars crossed with Alien and Predator, and you're chasing an R-rated movie.

When it came to buying the EU, I stuck it through to the end of the NJO, although I read some of Fate and Legacy from my library, but of those sixty or so books, so very few of them felt like they were part of the movie-verse.

The Thrawn trilogy certainly, those earlier Lando Calrissian and Han Solo Adventures, A.C Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy, a couple of the standalones like The Truce at Bakura, and the Courtship of Princess Leia, but the further into the future they took the story, the less like the movies they felt, while the inter-prequel trilogy books never felt as part of the movie-verse for me, except maybe Labyrinth of Evil. I'm not saying they weren't good books, although when it comes to the X-Wing books... Yeesh!

I am confused as to why this is a shock to some people. It's hard enough to write a movie in the first place, having to write a movie that is consistent with a hundred or so novels of continuity, a novel series which itself isn't necessarily internally consistent when it comes to the pre-prequel EU and the post-prequel EU, would probably kill a writer. Star Wars are family movies, and Disney make family movies, which is why the EU has to go. It'll be nice to have a few Easter Eggs for fans though.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 12:38 PM   #42
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If the books stayed as their own universe, then the real star wars would survive.
Oh joy, another decade of people complaining about what's "real" in a fictional universe.
Old April 26 2014, 12:50 PM   #43
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
But the real question is, are the Ewok Adventure films still canon?
They're the only ones to remain canon. Ewoks are perfect for Disney toys.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 01:02 PM   #44
Mr Light
Admiral

My only complaint is that I wish they did one final apocalyptic storyline that killed off Luke or something. They never got to tell their "series finale". I had assumed that "Crucible" was the first chapter in this final story, rather than the ending itself.

I guess I'm in the minority but I loved Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi. Aside from a few time wasting books I thought they were really good stories that managed to blend the methods of the OT and the PT.

I guess the final book of Fate of the Jedi works as a pretty good series finale, and we can consider Crucible to be the epilogue.

But they never showed us the Celestials they kept building up to

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 01:57 PM   #45
Campe98
Commodore

Sigh.

Just like with JJTrek, it has to be asked. Does the creation of a new canon automatically make your books go away? No. They're still going to be sitting on your bookshelf. You can still read them. You can still enjoy them. I understand the EU has it's fans but personally, I gave up on it sometime during NJO. After killing off Chewbacca, I started to lose interest and then finally just decided my money was better spent elsewhere. Nonetheless, I respected those working on the EU wanting to do things their way.

There is a tremendous amount of baggage around the EU. Characters have lived and died and changed in ways that are unviable to a writer trying to tell an accessible story to the mass audience. Sorry, but these movies aren't only designed for people who have read the tens of thousands of pages of EU fiction. They're designed for the mass public. If Episode VII were to pick up 35 years after Jedi with Luke having been married, having a kid and then losing his wife, not to mention Han and Leia having three kids and two of them dying, much of the film would be spent getting the general audience up to speed. Because most people don't care what happens in the books.

I'm sorry if it comes off as me pissing in someone's cereal, but this is the truth of the world we live in when it comes to expanded universes in fiction. They can be ignored or usurped at any point. But it doesn't mean you can't enjoy then still. And it doesn't mean you can't enjoy the new films. How many retellings of Sherlock Holmes have we had? Or the Merlin stories? Or Shakespeare?