Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 26 2014, 01:40 AM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: Lucasfilm announces a new direction for the Star Wars EU

I think it's also worth pointing out here that other than Kevin Hearn, who is a great writer (at least judging by the first novel in his Iron Druid Chronicle series, which I just read a couple months ago)r, they seem to be using mostly the same writers. So chances are if you liked what James Luceno, JJM, and people like them were writing before, you'll probably still like it now.
I'm very curious to see they do with this new EU. It will be interesting to see how much they rebuild things differently now that we have the PT and CTW to use as background, instead of just the OT and old comics and books. You could tell reading some of the earlier novels after the PT came out that the people behind the books had a very different idea of what the history was than we saw in the PT related stuff.
I wonder if they will just dump everything from the old books and stuff, or if they will keep things that won't be contradicted by the new movies and Rebels?

Last edited by JD; April 26 2014 at 01:53 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 01:47 AM   #17
Mr Light
Admiral

So "Crucible" was the final Star Wars novel then? I thought it was the first book in a new nine book series. I haven't read it since it came out but wasn't it introducing a new cosmic Force threat? And didn't it end with the big three semi-retiring?

I still would have wanted to have seen how Luke died and what became of Ben and Jaina...

But I completely understand why they have to reboot.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 02:01 AM   #18
dansigal
Commander

Here we go again. Listen, I'll give you this, you're 100% right that at the end of the day, this sucks for fans of the EU who want to see it continue, because that's clearly not the direction they are going. You have every right to be both saddened and disappointed by that decision because it's not what you were hoping for. That's completely fair.

Where you lose everyone with any sense of rationality is your personal attacks on Abrams and the current Disney regime and your absolute certainty that what they put out won't be any good. Why not at least be open to the possibility that they will create something new for you to enjoy?
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 02:07 AM   #19
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Da OT plus Thrawn Trilogy are my canon, Lucas and Disney don't own my brain!
Old April 26 2014, 03:11 AM   #20
Dennis
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, good for Disney. They can do whatever they want, that doesn't mean I have to support or accept it. All I can do is hope for the new EU to completely bomb and lose Disney a bunch of money. It won't happen, because as the prequels showed SW fans will throw their money at even the worst junk with the SW name attached to it, but a guy can dream.

I like Star Wars quite a bit, have since 1977.

What's the EU?
"One day it begins to be borne in on the writer...that he is living in Europe as an American. If he were living there as a European, he would be living on a different and far less attractive continent." - James Baldwin

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 03:54 AM   #21
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ It's pronounced Ewwww ... for a reason.

Old April 26 2014, 03:56 AM   #22
YubYubCommander
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The fact that it is Miller and Luceno writing the first two novels has me really excited as both have written some of my favorite star wars novels
YubYubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 04:03 AM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

...and a hundred nerds cried out in agony...
Old April 26 2014, 04:09 AM   #24
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Never followed the EU. Tried a few Star Wars books when they first came out, but they didn't strike a cord. Maybe I'll give the new ones a go.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 04:11 AM   #25
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i always struggled with Star Wars novels for some reason. read tons of em, only really enjoyed a handful. last good one i read was Darth Plagueis.
Old April 26 2014, 04:38 AM   #26
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
So basically, everything the EU ever did set after ROTJ is no longer in canon, and probably everything before ROTJ, too. I knew this would happen. So, when the last post ROTJ EU book is published (there are a few supposed to come out, unless they get cancelled) the Star Wars Universe will officially be dead. You know, JJ Abrams wasn't even able to kill off the Prime Star Trek Universe, we still get books with Picard, Sisko, etc. But, he has officially killed my favorite Sci Fi book universe. Yes Disney made the decision and JJ probably had nothing to do with it, but its his movies that have caused this, so he gets to be the face of this disaster to me.
How can the movies by J. J. Abrams have caused this?

Think you need to leave trekbbs and read up on the roles of producers, writers and directors.

But I'll give you a hint. In this instance, Abrams is merely telling the performers what to do, the camera operators how he wants scenes shot etc. Sure he has a big roll in the casting but much the story, writing and decision to decanonise the EU had nothing to do with him.

It would have still have happened if Steven Spielberg or Nicholas Meyer or even George Lucas himself was going to direct.

And frankly if it hadn't happened, people like you would be jumping and down complain about how the new movies contradicted what was in the EU.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 04:38 AM   #27
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
So "Crucible" was the final Star Wars novel then?
It's the latest-set in the EU continuity with the "big three" as main characters. The "Legacy" comics of course happen after that timeline-wise.

Two "Empire and Rebellion" books were released after "Crucible" but before this continuity 'reboot'. The third book, focusing on Luke, (named "Heir to the Jedi") will be part of the new continuity.
Old April 26 2014, 04:58 AM   #28
Skywalker
Admiral

I will admit that I'm curious to see how this new EU (good lord, I almost typed 'EU universe' ) develops. While I've followed the original one since the mid-'90s, it'll be nice to be able to get in on the ground floor with this one.

I just hope Troy Denning won't have as much involvement as he had in the last one.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 05:10 AM   #29
Tulin
Vice Admiral

dansigal wrote: View Post
Here we go again. Listen, I'll give you this, you're 100% right that at the end of the day, this sucks for fans of the EU who want to see it continue, because that's clearly not the direction they are going. You have every right to be both saddened and disappointed by that decision because it's not what you were hoping for. That's completely fair.

Where you lose everyone with any sense of rationality is your personal attacks on Abrams and the current Disney regime and your absolute certainty that what they put out won't be any good. Why not at least be open to the possibility that they will create something new for you to enjoy?

This.

I've read a LOT this morning about this news and NOBODY ANYWHERE has even brought up the whole "different levels of canon" thing. The loudest bleeters and whiners are acting as if EVERYTHING produced for the EU was ALWAYS canon.

Newsflash - it WASN'T.

Therefore, de-canonizing it means a lot of it is at exactly the SAME spot as it was yesterday.

Holy crap, talk about first world problems. I'd like to take some of you whingers back to 1983 when all I had was waiting for a new issue of Starlog to arrive at my school library and I spent half my lunch hour photocopying pages to mass-consume at my leisure. You people don't know how well you have it!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 05:11 AM   #30
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
Da OT plus Thrawn Trilogy are my canon, Lucas and Disney don't own my brain!
Not yet they don't.

Give 'em time.

I'm sure the next Magic wrist bands at WDW include SOME way of affecting neural waves or something!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote