RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,714
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 527
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 24 2014, 05:47 AM   #16
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: NASA chief touts deep space exploration: We can only survive if we

Yminale wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
"Littered?" Seriously? The amount of artificial objects on the Moon and Mars combined would fit in one Walmart store.
When have you last been in a Walmart store. Every store literally is a mountain of trash.
Which has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.
Old April 24 2014, 06:24 AM   #17
gturner
Admiral

Everything man has placed on the moon or Mars could fit into a 1300 square foot apartment.

I think this bears some similarity to big city folk who really never live in the woods freaking out about nature, somehow assuming that forests are tiny little nothings that they saw once at a rest-stop without realizing that the trees go on continuously for hundreds and hundreds of miles (with some two lane roads to cross). Having grown up in a place with endless trees, I have gone days without finding evidence that humans had ever been on this planet, and I live in the Eastern US. We have 10 states with a rural population density of 5 persons per square mile or less, and almost all of those densely packed people live in rural towns.

If you quit spending all your time at Starbucks and the Galleria and go into the wastelands, you'd see that the vast majority of the US is like Mars, or Mars with scrub, grass, or trees.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 06:33 AM   #18
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/2...lanet-species/

You first have to convince me that humans are worth saving.
No need to worry. The people who will do the heavy lifting will have a much more optimistic outlook toward humanity. They will be worth saving even if some others who benefit from the effort will not.
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 06:56 AM   #19
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

urbandefault wrote: View Post
If we are to become a spacefaring species, it will be up to the private sector to make it happen. NASA, in my opinion has lost its focus and its mission is being dictated by (edited for political correctness).
I have no problem with the 1% fleeing the planet to their perfect space colonies. I do have a problem with paying for it with my taxes. Hopefully the Russians get so mad at the West that they shoot down the ISS.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 06:58 AM   #20
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

That whole romance with the idea humans need to go to space to survive... Sigh. Earth is, and will always be, the most human-friendly planet in our reach. Mars, and any other planet in our proximity, is DEAD. You have to live in airtight bunkers, go out in spacesuits. Even if our planet was hit by a catastrophe like a supervolcano, Earth would still be a friendlier environment than that. If you can build autark colonies on Mars and Venus, you can build autark colonies on a catastrophy Earth.
Then that talk about terraforming. We can't even purposely terraform our own planet.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 10:02 AM   #21
2takesfrakes
Commodore

"Littered?" Seriously? The amount of artificial objects on the Moon and Mars combined would fit in one Walmart store.
From Apollo 11 - 17, what was the total hours on the Moon? A day and a half, maybe? In that brief time, we managed to dump, like ... what? 11 metric tonnes of trash on the planet? Not too shabby for a couple day's work! Imagine if we'd stayed a whole year! Good thing the Moon has those plentiful, fathoms-deep craters to fill up, like natural-made landfills.

>>SNORT!!!<<
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 10:27 AM   #22
Dukhat
Commodore

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
From Apollo 11 - 17, what was the total hours on the Moon? A day and a half, maybe? In that brief time, we managed to dump, like ... what? 11 metric tonnes of trash on the planet? Not too shabby for a couple day's work! Imagine if we'd stayed a whole year! Good thing the Moon has those plentiful, fathoms-deep craters to fill up, like natural-made landfills.

>>SNORT!!!<<
I'm totally not seeing your point here.
Old April 24 2014, 10:35 AM   #23
2takesfrakes
Commodore

That's OK. Let's just chant, instead:

"nerds.
Nerds!
NERDS!!
NERDS!!!"
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 10:43 AM   #24
Dukhat
Commodore

Ah, I get it now. You're making nonsensical comments just for the sake of making nonsensical comments. Ok then, keep calm and carry on.
Old April 24 2014, 02:06 PM   #25
Dennis
The Man

JarodRussell is right (which may be a completely original English sentence).

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 03:13 PM   #26
RAMA
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That whole romance with the idea humans need to go to space to survive... Sigh. Earth is, and will always be, the most human-friendly planet in our reach. Mars, and any other planet in our proximity, is DEAD. You have to live in airtight bunkers, go out in spacesuits. Even if our planet was hit by a catastrophe like a supervolcano, Earth would still be a friendlier environment than that. If you can build autark colonies on Mars and Venus, you can build autark colonies on a catastrophy Earth.
Then that talk about terraforming. We can't even purposely terraform our own planet.
In fact, there are several good reasons to leave the Earth.

Societies needs are exponential: While humanity is likely to level off in population at around the 10-11 billion mark (see Hans Rosling's UN data analysis) the needs of an ever-increasing economic civilization will rise, and this will tax the planet. Inherent in this, is the need for both resources and space. Space has both in abundance. Eventually, man's exponential nature will level off...BUT only because of the next paradigm..man living in space. Then a new paradigm will start the cycle over again. Humanity will then again need more of each.

Survival: Spreading out the human race to survive very real, statistically probable catastrophes has been recommended by the most intelligent people on the planet.

If we are doomed by our own hand with global warming, all the more reason to leave and hope we learned the lesson.

Philosophical level. Humanity exists in it's surroundings of space, evolved on a single planet but part of a universe that shares all of it's elements and mechanisms. The idea that we will not travel in space when our technological level allows it, seems incredibly narrow and near-sighted. We have always expanded and will continue to do so. The solar system allows for us to be there.

Far future: If the Singularity happens, or anything similar to it at any time, then eventually intelligence will spread. We or someone else will convert everything to intelligent matter, thereby quantifying the universe. The ultimate in survival may well be a way to survive an end to the universe or travel to another one..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_matter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computronium
Old April 24 2014, 03:42 PM   #27
Yminale
Rear Admiral

When have you last been in a Walmart store. Every store literally is a mountain of trash.
Which has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.
Actually your supported instead of refuted the previous poster. Hence I mentioned the average size of Walmart.
Old April 24 2014, 03:45 PM   #28
Yminale
Rear Admiral

PurpleBuddha wrote: View Post
No need to worry. The people who will do the heavy lifting will have a much more optimistic outlook toward humanity. They will be worth saving even if some others who benefit from the effort will not.
The people who will most benefit from space colonization will be the 1%. We're talking about the scum of human civilization. Yeah I feel so optimistic now.
Old April 24 2014, 03:53 PM   #29
Yminale
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Societies needs are exponential: While humanity is likely to level off in population at around the 10-11 billion mark (see Hans Rosling's UN data analysis)
human society doesn't necessarily need to be exponential. A policy of depopulation could allow human society to reach 500 million easily. We already seeing this in Europe, Japan and even China.

Survival: Spreading out the human race to survive very real, statistically probable catastrophes has been recommended by the most intelligent people on the planet.
The improvement to survival will be marginal until the development of interplanetary travel.

Philosophical level. Humanity exists in it's surroundings of space, evolved on a single planet but part of a universe that shares all of it's elements and mechanisms. The idea that we will not travel in space when our technological level allows it, seems incredibly narrow and near-sighted. We have always expanded and will continue to do so. The solar system allows for us to be there.
There is already a precedent for decreased exploration, the Earth's oceans. We know more about the moon than our oceans and humanity doesn't seem to have a huge huge urge to explore.

Far future: If the Singularity happens, or anything similar to it
If HAL wants to explore space, let him. His concerns have no bearing on us.
Old April 24 2014, 04:06 PM   #30
sojourner
Admiral

The improvement to survival will be marginal until the development of interplanetary travel.
You realize that's an argument for, not against further developing space travel?