Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 24 2014, 01:20 AM   #16
varek
Commander

Re: Welcome to the future

I'm worried that the "smart" world leaders have already moved to South America and are building their mansions over aquifers and in the now-cleared former rain forests!

Don't forget all the multimillion-dollar bomb shelters that government agencies have allegedly built for their "elite."

Remember: illusionists are usually masters of misdirection.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 01:49 AM   #17
Dennis
The Man

If you're living in the developed world you're part of the responsible "elite."
Old April 24 2014, 04:46 AM   #18
Yminale
Rear Admiral

varek wrote: View Post
I'm worried that the "smart" world leaders
I've come to realize that there are no "smart" world leaders. Only lucky ones who though selfish are pretty stupid.
Old April 24 2014, 04:47 AM   #19
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
If you're living in the developed world you're part of the responsible "elite."
Not anymore. the 1% control over 50% of the world's wealth (it's probably higher). The rest of us are sliding downward in to poverty.
Old April 24 2014, 11:31 AM   #20
Dennis
The Man

Yeah, bullshit.

So some small percentage supposedly controls most wealth? What does "most" actually leave over? You're going to pretend that your lifestyle isn't exacerbating climate change? All that electricity, all those cars, air conditioning, computers, jets, all that food's being shipped around the world to be consumed by 1% of the population?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Last edited by Dennis; April 24 2014 at 11:52 AM.
Dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 11:57 AM   #21
Metryq
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Send your CFO a link to this XKCD:

http://xkcd.com/1321/
Let me get this straight: people who don't "believe" in anthropogenic global warming due to cold weather in ONE location will be swayed by records of temperatures from ONE location?
Old April 24 2014, 12:45 PM   #22
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Dennis wrote: View Post
Yeah, bullshit.

So some small percentage supposedly controls most wealth? What does "most" actually leave over? You're going to pretend that your lifestyle isn't exacerbating climate change? All that electricity, all those cars, air conditioning, computers, jets, all that food's being shipped around the world to be consumed by 1% of the population?

Yeah, didn't think so.
Truth hurts!

Most of us are probably contributing far more than we suspect to the problem. You can calculate your own carbon footprint, too. Basically, if you live with electricity and use any kind of powered transportation method, you've got a bigger carbon footprint than about half the world's population already.

According to that calculator, my footprint is less than half the average for Americans, but I'd also take it with a grain of salt since it doesn't use any kind of precise calculations.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 01:36 PM   #23
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Of all the problems we face in the future, Global Warming scares me the most. Almost every other problem can be "fixed/mitigated" in some way. This one is a much harder to tackle. At this point 97% of climate researchers agree it's a real thing...now we have to convince everyone else. According to the research I've seen, we have roughly a 15 year window to correct the problem..

RAMA
Old April 24 2014, 01:40 PM   #24
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

The window to "correct" the problem has long passed. At this point it's just damage control, and even the extent to which we can mitigate the damage erodes with every passing year.
Old April 24 2014, 01:48 PM   #25
Dennis
The Man

Exactly so.
Old April 24 2014, 02:50 PM   #26
RAMA
Vice Admiral

UN, 15 years vital:

http://phys.org/news/2014-01-years-vital-panel.html

Correct it, not in the sense of it returning to levels of the past, but stopping the rise, as the UN report shows. BTW I think is the original UN conference mentioned by Dennis' article.

To be fair, there are ideas to actually FIX the problem, some of which I've mentioned as preventative measures before, and there are some the go beyond that, but I don't know how likely they are:

From MIT:

http://www.technologyreview.com/feat...lobal-warming/

http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/pu...l/climate_fix/

University of Calgary climate change scientist David Keith and his team are working to efficiently capture the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide directly from the air, using near-commercial technology.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0929123941.htm

Various technologies available to reduce GHG emissions PDF:

http://courses.washington.edu/ocean4...la_Socolow.pdf

Far out ideas:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7533600.stm

Reducing emissions with a technological fix: Nuclear (4th gen) and hydroelectric:

http://nucleargreen.blogspot.co.uk/2...l-warming.html

The Guardian: sucking carbon out of the air, Technique of burning biomass then pumping released carbon underground included in leaked draft from UN climate panel:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...report-biomass

Nanotechnology for Dummies, nanomaterials:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...l-warming.html

Here’s where nanotechnology comes in. A researcher at the University of Calgary has designed particles composed of different nanofilms that could be released into the atmosphere to cool the earth without some of the negative effects caused by volcanoes.

The top layer of a nanofilm protects the middle layer from oxidizing; the middle layer reflects light; and the bottom layer interacts with the atmosphere’s electric field to orient the disk-shaped particle horizontally for optimum reflection. That reflection cuts down the amount of sunlight that reaches our atmosphere and helps cool our planet slightly to compensate for global warming.
Nanotech material solutions:

http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=8642.php

Nanotech to mitigate climate change:

http://www.nanotechia.org/news/news-...climate-change

Hacking the Planet!!

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/20/238548...cooler-climate
Old April 24 2014, 03:04 PM   #27
Dennis
The Man

That we will not do what we are being told is necessary to really mitigate climate change has been foreseeable, if far from certain, from the time that the outlines of the problem first became clear. There is a tremendous inertia built into the arc of our technological and social development - the way we're living now isn't simply the result of choices made fifty or one hundred or two hundred years ago by inventors and industrialists, but of a trillion choices made by billions of human beings over three or four millennia - and the idea that people will abandon or make dislocating adjustments in our attempts to lead comfortable and secure lives today because of warnings from authority about the future has always been the longest of long shots.

One only need look at the way people handle money from week to week or what we choose to put into our mouths on a given day to have a sense of how we "balance" immediate needs and gratification against our general ideas of and anxieties about "the future."
Old April 24 2014, 03:29 PM   #28
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Possible, however, much of the time, when man has to find a solution, he does. It doesn't always require the person who lives week to week. This is why the recent GOP hysteria in the USA towards the sciences is so detrimental. In Australia, many environmental laws are being overturned by the current conservative government. Still, the meme is out there, people know of climate change, so knowing about it is half the battle.

RAMA
Old April 24 2014, 03:31 PM   #29
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

In the case of climate change, knowing is worth fuck all without action.
Old April 24 2014, 03:35 PM   #30
{ Emma Snow }
Where you lead...

RAMA wrote: View Post
Possible, however, much of the time, when man has to find a solution, he does.
That is such a meaningless statement. There are things that can't be fixed once you've crossed a certain line and climate change might be one of those.
Also blindly believing that "we'll find a solution when we need it" like so many people do when it comes to topics like peak oil is just pure ignorance.

It's { Emilia }.
{ Emma Snow } is offline   Reply With Quote