Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old February 24 2014, 10:59 PM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Uploading yourself can be fun, aka....

Why you should want to upload yourself to a supercomputer!

http://www.sentientdevelopments.com/...urself-to.html
Old February 25 2014, 12:34 AM   #2
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Uploading yourself can be fun, aka....

It won't be me. Only a copy.
Old February 25 2014, 12:38 AM   #3
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I'm torn on the idea. Mental immortality would be interesting but what happens after a glitch or memory dump? I don't trust man enough to handle my thoughts.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 12:56 AM   #4
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

article wrote:
We're still decades — if not centuries — away from being able to transfer a mind to a supercomputer. [...] Here's why you should seriously consider uploading.
lulz.
Old February 25 2014, 01:00 AM   #5
Melakon
Vice Admiral

In the future, internet trolls will insult people by telling them to upload themselves.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I'd rather stay an unique phenomenon.
Old February 25 2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Metryq
Captain

And everyone will scramble for the aliases "Neo", "Trinity", "Morpheus" and "Agent Smith."

"Me, two!"

As Sojourner pointed out, it won't be you, it will be a copy—assuming a copy is even possible. Consciousness will not move. It will be like that (rather silly) Arnold movie SIXTH DAY. Each individual will still suffer death. Eventually.

I think James P. Hogan said it best in the intro to his novel THE TWO FACES OF TOMORROW:

However, I am less persuaded by the paradigm of achieving AI through digital symbol manipulation that has dominated for the past half century. Throughout history, the current explanation of mind has always reflected the latest technology. Descartes envisaged it in terms of reflexes and the cuckoo clock. Freud's terminology of obstructed channels, diverted flows, and buildups of pressures was inspired by the complexity of the sewer system of Vienna. By the thirties the brain had become a telephone exchange, and with World War II an interacting network of servo loops and feedback circuits. These days, naturally, it has to be a computer ... but I'm not convinced that we've reached the end of the line yet.
In other words, our brains and computers are incompatible. Our minds are more than just the data we believe to be stored in the brain in computer fashion. Once you have all the data, you also need an emulator. If that emulator is anything less than perfect, you will no longer be "you," even if the construct appears to be such to everyone on the outside.

Even worse, the hackers really will have all your personal data!
Old February 25 2014, 02:04 PM   #8
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

When applied to something like a video game or interactive movie, it could work. Imagine a game where you upload your consciousness into a virtual realm which sends visual and audio information back to the brain. (this theoretical device would probably be a hundred terabyte system.)

bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 04:11 PM   #9
RAMA
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
article wrote:
We're still decades — if not centuries — away from being able to transfer a mind to a supercomputer. [...] Here's why you should seriously consider uploading.
lulz.
He's being conservate, there have been some recent breakthroughs on this, and also a lot of the brain mapping being done as well as the accelerated change of information technology should make such qualms moot because part of the goal is to make computer and human intelligence interchangeable. Decades is more realistic based on the math.

In other words, our brains and computers are incompatible. Our minds are more than just the data we believe to be stored in the brain in computer fashion. Once you have all the data, you also need an emulator. If that emulator is anything less than perfect, you will no longer be "you," even if the construct appears to be such to everyone on the outside.
This is what the general consensus has been for years, with really no evidence to back it up, it's all speculation that we have some "specialness" something more than the sum of our parts. We're finding out this isn't really true. Quantifying the brain seems well within the reach of computer power, and software (which was considered a weak point) has been proven to be up to the task as well.

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/exc...uture-the-mind

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; February 26 2014 at 04:22 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 04:17 PM   #10
RAMA
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
It could be both or neither. Up to you.

RAMA
Old February 26 2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

RAMA wrote: View Post
Quantifying the brain seems well within the reach of computer power, and software (which was considered a weak point) has been proven to be up to the task as well.
Those are pretty bold statements. Got anything solid to back them up?
Old February 26 2014, 04:42 PM   #12
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Quantifying the brain seems well within the reach of computer power, and software (which was considered a weak point) has been proven to be up to the task as well.
Those are pretty bold statements. Got anything solid to back them up?
Yes, I've already posted links on these particular claims before. The factual numbers on brain power can be found in numerous places but you could cut to the chase by reading The Singularity is Near. The very reason there are multpile highly funded projects on researching the brain for AI is because experts now believe it can be done.

The software argument is one I made several years ago after it was put forth as a major problem in developing AI, but it works here as well as a software "emulator". I posted a link on a governmet study that refuted the claim software was not keeping pace with computer power. It is also accelerated infotech.

Of course there have been two major books written about the brain in this context in the last year:

The latest: http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/exc...uture-the-mind

http://www.amazon.com/How-Create-Min.../dp/0143124048

How Kurzweil will help Google make AI:

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/0...eil-google-ai/

http://rt.com/usa/google-kurzweil-si...ity-brain-011/

More:

The money and the researchers:

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...ns-immortality

False memory in a Mouse, NYT:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

Hawking predicts brain uploading:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/hawking-pr...nto-a-computer

The Blue Brain project: One of many now. Headed by a neuroscientist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Brain_Project

Ironically some neuroscientists criticized Kurzweil's last book.

RAMA
Old February 26 2014, 04:49 PM   #13
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Okay, then you basically have some speculation and blue-sky research that has yet to produce anything remotely applicable to humans. It's cool that this research is happening but it's hard to take your statements seriously when you make it sound like we're right on the precipice of it being a reality. That is clearly not the case, and you do everyone a disservice by exaggerating just how far along things are.
Old February 26 2014, 04:55 PM   #14
sojourner
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
It could be both or neither. Up to you.

RAMA
No. A copy is a copy. It may "think" it's me in a box, but that won't make it true.
Old February 28 2014, 09:35 PM   #15
scotpens
Vice Admiral

. . . Throughout history, the current explanation of mind has always reflected the latest technology . . . Freud's terminology of obstructed channels, diverted flows, and buildups of pressures was inspired by the complexity of the sewer system of Vienna.
Some people's minds are like a sewer.