To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 29 2014, 02:37 AM   #796
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 全tar Trek 3′: Roberto Orci Wants to Direct

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

Based on that alone, I have complete faith that Bob Orci, a fan, will do a fine job with the third installment. Any other fretting, concern, ballyhooing, or crying about it is entirely premature and unnecessary.
This.
Old May 29 2014, 02:42 AM   #797
BigJake
Rear Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
fretting, concern, ballyhooing, or crying about it is entirely premature and unnecessary.
Oh, we're all quite agreed on that. Why do you think we're occupying ourselves with our eleven-gajillionth go-round about plot holes in STID?
Old May 29 2014, 02:42 AM   #798
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I just watched Kirk and Spock make a laser out of a piece of bed frame, a couple of transponders and a 40-watt light bulb. MacGyver has got nothing on these guys!

Watching "Patterns of Force" which, honestly, is just a plain bad episode. But the chemistry between Shatner and Nimoy make it worthwhile. I see that same budding chemistry between Pine and Quinto and I think it's great.
Old May 29 2014, 06:01 AM   #799
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

BigJake wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Seems coherent enough to me.
Yours is a fine attempt at an explanation, really it is, but I'm afraid it misses the point.

The point isn't that you or anyone else couldn't come up with a perfectly serviceable fanwank to close the apparent gaps in the plot. The point is that all of us could, and they will all be different, because there is not enough information on the screen for anything else to happen. That's what "coherence" means; it means there's critical information missing from what's on the screen that's necessary to make very basic plot points make sense, which makes various fan theories about those basic things necessary.
No. The film's plot makes more than enough sense for the majority of viewers to understand what's going on. Really. It does. You want incoherent? Watch the theatrical release of Highlander 2. And calling me a liar upthread? Fuck off. Just because you appear to have difficulty making sense of the story doesn't mean everyone else who watched it suffered from your particular shortcoming.
Old May 29 2014, 06:14 AM   #800
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Ovation wrote: View Post
No.
Yes.

I mean, Franklin and I went on to have a convo in detail about it, which involved some clarification that you might find helpful. You're welcome to engage with some of that, but don't go repeating the same stuff at me as if repetition alone is going to convince me. That's silly.

And calling me a liar upthread?

Not what I was going for at all. When I said:

I've had many conversations with people who don't care about the plot as presented on screen (either because they can build a personally satisfying fan theory, or because plot and story just isn't that important to them), which is perfectly fair but not the same thing.
I hoped that would make it clear that I thought you were wrong, not lying, or more precisely that I disbelieved what you said not because it was a deliberate falsehood but because you were mistaking (or missing) the point.

However, I put it damned tactlessly and so any misunderstanding is on me. I apologize. Consider your name cleared. You are not a liar. You're just wrong.

Last edited by BigJake; May 29 2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old May 29 2014, 07:17 AM   #801
The Stig
Rear Admiral

It's funny, you seem to have quite a bit of trouble with people not getting your points.

At some point, one must consider the lowest-common-denominator.

You didn't like the movie and are performing quite an impressive feat of mental gymnastics to try and turn something subjective into something objective.

It's not working. Try not to be a dick about it.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old May 29 2014, 07:19 AM   #802
BigJake
Rear Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
It's funny, you seem to have quite a bit of trouble with people not getting your points.
Being desperately determined to avoid getting them will do that. As you of course well know.

Don't get me wrong. I get that people don't want to admit that statements of fact can be made about a text when they don't like the statement involved. But that's a very situational form of blindness in which most people most of the time do not (quite correctly) believe, since confusing the fact of subjectivity with the belief that nothing factual can ever be stated about a text is obviously silly. It's a form of silliness that generally only becomes convenient when a text that one is committed to defending as sacred comes in for "attack" or (in my case) relatively mild partial unenthusiasm.
Old May 29 2014, 09:29 AM   #803
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Closing, while everyone takes a moment to remember which forum this is.