Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 30 2014, 08:19 PM   #76
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: A TOS resurgence?

Tallguy wrote: View Post
Do any appreciable number of people under 30 watch TOS anymore? Serious question.
My kids watch it with me. But independently? My daughter is the only one I know of, she's 20.
Old April 30 2014, 08:35 PM   #77
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Nothing makes my kids (4 and 5) flee the room faster than TOS. Except maybe TAS. That's faster. *sigh*
Old April 30 2014, 08:40 PM   #78
BillJ
Admiral

Nothing makes my kids (4 and 5) flee the room faster than TOS. Except maybe TAS. That's faster. *sigh*
As much as I love TOS, I've always wondered if it would've had the same impact on me with all the things kids have to do today?
Old April 30 2014, 08:50 PM   #79
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

We need a new animated series, perhaps something set at Starfleet Academy, and perhaps made as an anime or as a CGI 'toon.

BillJ wrote: View Post
As much as I love TOS, I've always wondered if it would've had the same impact on me with all the things kids have to do today?
Considering what kids have on TV to watch that's for them, not likely, unless it's an animated series based on TOS, as I said above.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 08:58 PM   #80
BillJ
Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
We need a new animated series, perhaps something set at Starfleet Academy, and perhaps made as an anime or as a CGI 'toon.

Considering what kids have on TV to watch that's for them, not likely, unless it's an animated series based on TOS, as I said above.
I think the Abrams films were a step in the right direction but generally aren't enough to ignite interest in the next generation. CBS needs to bring Trek to animation, directed at kids if they want to keep it as a healthy, profitable franchise.

The fanbase still skews much older than things like Star Wars and Transformers, I believe.
Old April 30 2014, 08:59 PM   #81
Bixby
Commander

I'm assuming you mean would TOS if it was made today, would it have become as culturally significant? I think it would, if it was made with as much quality and dramatic power as, say, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, yes!
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 09:01 PM   #82
BillJ
Admiral

Bixby wrote: View Post

I'm assuming you mean would TOS if it was made today, would it have become as culturally significant? I think it would, if it was made with as much quality and dramatic power as, say, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, yes!
But then it really wouldn't be TOS. Plus, I have very little interest in either of the shows you mention.
Old May 1 2014, 05:47 AM   #83
Dukhat
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Neither I nor anyone else here said it had no impact. We merely disagree regarding the degree.
So I stand by what I said. JJ saved jacked shit.

So your "degree" would be zero, then?
Old May 1 2014, 05:53 AM   #84
Warped9
Admiral

Do any appreciable number of people under 30 watch TOS anymore? Serious question.
"Saving the franchise" and bringing added interest to TOS are not the same thing.
Old May 1 2014, 06:40 AM   #85
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

The argument is a bit semantic. Which is my kind of argument.

The franchise would still be making money right now if Abrams hadn't come along. OTOH, it would also be in the process of dwindling; the primary fuel of Trek was the screen product, without new infusions there's a limit to how long all the tie-in merchandise and literature and comic books can keep spooling itself out and retain profitability. "The franchise" proper was not "dead" when Abrams signed on, but its heart, the screen franchise, had most certainly stopped pumping. It was just a matter of time before the rest of the body got the message.

Abrams' films certainly reanimated public interest, which is no doubt what they were meant to do. I don't believe they've "breathed new life" into the franchise, which right now is kind of a Frankenstein's Monster suspended in an awkward place between life and undeath; Warped9 is right to point out that it seems to have led to little in the way of anything new in the way of real money-making add-ons beyond the short-term box office and BluRay-DVD cash infusions, and given that it was all pitched to an entirely casual audience that's not surprising. (Moreover as film quality goes, they're not the kind of super-compelling product that has any real chance in the "long game;" regard for the AbramsTrek films seems to be decaying after the waves of studio-managed hype that launched them.)

So my vote is that AbramsTrek put the franchise back in motion again -- which is important -- but that claims of its "resurrecting" the franchise are overblown.
Old May 1 2014, 02:14 PM   #86
Robert Comsol
Commodore

TOS deals with multiple abstract and adult concepts that may be too much for childrens' minds to understand and appreciate, yet. Don't give up hope.

Just asked my 10 year old stepson what he liked about TOS: The transporter beaming, the phasers, Mr. Spock's ears, his neck pinch, warp speed, Captain Kirk's command chair and the size of the Enterprise as a spaceship to travel to unknown places.

One of the things adolescents might eventually appreciate is to solve conflicts with brains and not superior firepower. And we have the triumvirate friendship of Kirk, Spock and McCoy that illustrates that you can still be friends with people that feel rather differently about various issues.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 02:46 PM   #87
MacLeod
Admiral

In some ways it seems as if TOS has almost always struggled for respect if not attention.

In its original run there is debate as to how popular the series really was. It quickly developed devoted fans and gained media attention even as the ratings debate continues. In the 1970s there's no question there was elevated interest as the series grew ever more popular in syndication. Tie-in books and merchandise, which started practically from the beginning, started to really grow in the '70s and into the '80s with the release of each successive film. It was also a time when we saw the introduction of home video technology that allowed us to record episodes and watch them when we wished.

The introduction of TNG grew the franchise again only this time it might have started drawing attention away from TOS. The new series was more contemporary (then) and slicker looking. And it really began the fracturing of the overall fanbase as new fans developed loyalties to each particular spin-off series as their favourite. With all the new stuff going on it's easy to see how TOS could be relegated to almost an afterthought with newer and slicker looking productions now available.

An interest in TOS has never really gone away even if it has waned from time to time. There remains a devoted core following. But in recent years could we be seeing a resurgence of interest?

There have always been books and other merchandise tied into TOS. But lately TOS fans have seemed to be getting spoiled. We've been getting books offering indepth looks at the show when it was being developed and produced. We've gotten a first-class release of the entire series' soundtrack. Round2 has been reissuing original AMT kits (retooled and tweaked) as well as long awaited kits such the 1/350 Enterprise and the forthcoming 1/32 scale shuttlecraft. Technology and resources now allow dedicated fans to produce filmed episodes and many of them choose to play in the TOS universe including some very well produced efforts. And like them or not the JJ Abrams' films have also been bringing attention to the original series.

I rmember being a fan in the '70s and there was a lot of excitement and enthusiastic interest back then. Yet in some ways today could also be a golden era for being a TOS fan. You can get box sets of the series displaying the episodes looking better than they ever could have even when they were new on television. You can buy tie-in merchandise we could only have imagined back in the day. There are more and even some better books than were available then.

And the series as a whole as well as individual episodes are still studied, analyzed and debated.

How many forty year old television series do you know that still get this kind of attention? Yes, there are a handful of other shows that are remembered and even enjoy a small cult following, but nothing to seriously rival TOS. Is it a series that really can still speak to newer audiences? And do you think we could be seeing something of a resurgence of interest?

Thoughts anyone?
Well perhaps part of the reason for any resurgence in TOS might be down to a number of factors including the new movies, might come some to revisit the original and of course the approaching the 50th Anniversary
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 06:22 PM   #88
drt
Commander

My kids watch it with me. But independently? My daughter is the only one I know of, she's 20.
My 5 and 7 year olds watch it with me.

We watched "The Ultimate Computer" last night, my 7-year old daughter commented as they finished installing the M-5: "I think that computer is going to be a bad idea..."
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 07:04 PM   #89
CaptPapa
Commander

BigJake wrote: View Post
The argument is a bit semantic. Which is my kind of argument.

The franchise would still be making money right now if Abrams hadn't come along. OTOH, it would also be in the process of dwindling; the primary fuel of Trek was the screen product, without new infusions there's a limit to how long all the tie-in merchandise and literature and comic books can keep spooling itself out and retain profitability. "The franchise" proper was not "dead" when Abrams signed on, but its heart, the screen franchise, had most certainly stopped pumping. It was just a matter of time before the rest of the body got the message.

Abrams' films certainly reanimated public interest, which is no doubt what they were meant to do. I don't believe they've "breathed new life" into the franchise, which right now is kind of a Frankenstein's Monster suspended in an awkward place between life and undeath; Warped9 is right to point out that it seems to have led to little in the way of anything new in the way of real money-making add-ons beyond the short-term box office and BluRay-DVD cash infusions, and given that it was all pitched to an entirely casual audience that's not surprising. (Moreover as film quality goes, they're not the kind of super-compelling product that has any real chance in the "long game;" regard for the AbramsTrek films seems to be decaying after the waves of studio-managed hype that launched them.)

So my vote is that AbramsTrek put the franchise back in motion again -- which is important -- but that claims of its "resurrecting" the franchise are overblown.
A pretty good take on the situation I'd say.

On the lighter side, I like the reference to Frankenstein - immediately this jumped out at me . . . ZombieTrek. Now that's something my granddaughter would watch!!!
Old May 1 2014, 07:30 PM   #90
Vandervecken
Commander

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
And a lot of people DON'T.
Oh, yippee. So we keep hearing.
So in other words, neither you, nor I, nor anyone else here has the right to say what other people are thinking, since we can't read minds. All we have to go on is sales figure evidence as a basis to judge popularity. QED.
Popularity doesn't equal intrinsic value; if it did, "Avatar" would be a more valuable piece of art/media than Van Gogh's "The Starry Night," which I am sure has not earned over $2Bn gross for the New York Museum of Modern Art.