RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,887
Posts: 5,386,662
Members: 24,715
Currently online: 442
Newest member: Noga74

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 8 2014, 03:43 AM   #106
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Is it 13.8 billion years old?

Is it dark matter or dark energy?

Is it everything from nothing, or everything from something?

Hell, I can't figure out what the religion of the actor playing Obi-wan Kenobi has to do with Star Wars' signature line.

So what makes me think I can answer a survey on major scientific theories.

Oh, I do know Star Wars was released in 1977.

Does that count for something, anything?
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:22 PM   #107
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
Hell, I can't figure out what the religion of the actor playing Obi-wan Kenobi has to do with Star Wars' signature line.
Sir Alec Guiness felt all that talk about the Force was a lot of "mumbo-jumbo" and did not like these lines.

From a theologian point of view and considering that "the Force" could have also been a placeholder for God, I'm sure he would have been more delighted to deliver these lines.

What's interesting here, IMHO, is that he / George Lucas offered a solution to an astrophysical problem the vast majority of movie-goers didn't even know existed, yet (and I'm not aware George Lucas knew the problem, either).

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 01:56 PM   #108
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Dennis wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
While I do not believe the Earth is 6000 years old, I also have a hard time beliving everything came from nothing in direct violation of all the laws of physics as we know them.
The laws of physics do not obtain before the beginning of the Universe.

Everything is nothing, anyway.
Exactly (slaps forehead )

I do know this, it takes every bit as much faith to believe in the Big Bang as it does to believe in an IntelligentDesigner.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 03:08 PM   #109
Stoo
Captain
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Location: Circle of the Tyrants
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

No, that's bollocks. We have plenty of evidence for a big bang happening. The expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background.

It's possible you're misunderstanding what the big bang theory describes. It's not "something from nothing". Rather, it describes the universe rapidly expanding from an initial state where all matter and energy was wrapped up in a tiny little space. It doesn't try to explain those initial conditions, just tell us how we got from there to here.
Stoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 03:12 PM   #110
YellowSubmarine
Commodore
 
YellowSubmarine's Avatar
 
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Yanks wrote: View Post
I do know this, it takes every bit as much faith to believe in the Big Bang as it does to believe in an IntelligentDesigner.
A simple yet unordered jumble of matter, practically amounting to nothing at the time, appearing out of nowhere. A complex intelligent being capable of designing universes appearing out of nowhere. Totally the same thing.
__________________
R.I.P. Cadet James T. Kirk (-1651)
YellowSubmarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 03:19 PM   #111
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Dennis wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
While I do not believe the Earth is 6000 years old, I also have a hard time beliving everything came from nothing in direct violation of all the laws of physics as we know them.
The laws of physics do not obtain before the beginning of the Universe.

Everything is nothing, anyway.
Stoo wrote: View Post
No, that's bollocks. We have plenty of evidence for a big bang happening. The expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background.

It's possible you're misunderstanding what the big bang theory describes. It's not "something from nothing". Rather, it describes the universe rapidly expanding from an initial state where all matter and energy was wrapped up in a tiny little point. It doesn't try to explain why that point exists or where it came from.
Michio Kaku himself says the Big Bang is mathimatically impossible. That's where "expansion" and all the other stuff they dream up comes from.

Not opposed to the theory, but it is far from fact.

If you believe everything came from on tiny little point, smaller than an atom then that's fine. I'm not there yet.

I personally don't think they will ever figure anything out until they wrap their hands around dark matter & energy.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 03:20 PM   #112
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
I do know this, it takes every bit as much faith to believe in the Big Bang as it does to believe in an IntelligentDesigner.
A simple yet unordered jumble of matter, practically amounting to nothing at the time, appearing out of nowhere. A complex intelligent being capable of designing universes appearing out of nowhere. Totally the same thing.
Exactly
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 04:44 PM   #113
Stoo
Captain
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Location: Circle of the Tyrants
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Yanks wrote: View Post
If you believe everything came from on tiny little point, smaller than an atom then that's fine. I'm not there yet.
.
The idea of all matter and energy in such a tiny space is indeed unimaginable. That's great! It's why science is exciting! When it tells us the universe is (or sometimes, was) weirder or more extreme than we ever thought.

and well, if you're a believer, then it's your god's work in motion. More glory to him I guess.
Stoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 04:46 PM   #114
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Stoo wrote: View Post
and well, if you're a believer, then it's your god's work in motion. More glory to him I guess.
PRAISE CTHULHU AND HIS GLORIOUS BIG BANG
__________________
It's all false love and affection
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 04:49 PM   #115
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Stoo wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
If you believe everything came from on tiny little point, smaller than an atom then that's fine. I'm not there yet.
.
The idea of all matter and energy in such a tiny space is indeed unimaginable. That's great! It's why science is exciting! When it tells us the universe is (or sometimes, was) weirder or more extreme than we ever thought.

and well, if you're a believer, then it's your god's work in motion. More glory to him I guess.
Do I have to be a "believer" to question the BBT?

I love science, watch all "the shows" and do my best to understand it all. We live in an age of change when it comes to science. It's exciting.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 06:20 PM   #116
Stoo
Captain
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Location: Circle of the Tyrants
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

My apologies if I've jumped to conclusions. When people have difficulties accepting scientific theories, it's often for unscientific reasons.
Stoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 07:16 PM   #117
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Stoo wrote: View Post
My apologies if I've jumped to conclusions. When people have difficulties accepting scientific theories, it's often for unscientific reasons.
No apologies required nor desired.

It does baffle me that if you question anything considered "mainstream science" the religion thing always seems to creep in...
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 07:51 PM   #118
scotthm
Rear Admiral
 
Location: USA
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Stoo wrote: View Post
No, that's bollocks. We have plenty of evidence for a big bang happening.
That seems to be what the simulation you exist in was configured to imply.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 08:24 PM   #119
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
 
Crazy Eddie's Avatar
 
Location: I'm in your ___, ___ing your ___
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Yanks wrote: View Post
Stoo wrote: View Post
My apologies if I've jumped to conclusions. When people have difficulties accepting scientific theories, it's often for unscientific reasons.
No apologies required nor desired.

It does baffle me that if you question anything considered "mainstream science" the religion thing always seems to creep in...
Primarily because religious figures are the main opponents of mainstream science.

It's sort of like when you go to Chicago and say "The Cubs suck!" the first thing people think is "Sox fan?"
__________________
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 08:40 PM   #120
scotthm
Rear Admiral
 
Location: USA
Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

Stoo wrote: View Post
When people have difficulties accepting scientific theories, it's often for unscientific reasons.
When a theory fails to explain important elements of its subject then we should have difficulties "accepting" it.

A theory is just a tool, not dogma.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.