Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 28 2014, 06:57 PM   #61
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Re: 51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory

String theory is a lot of things, but comparing it with intelligent design is unfair. It is an unscientific math-fu that you can't call a scientific theory, but it is a mathematical theory. You can't explain anything in the universe with it, but you can create a model that resembles it, and tweak the parameters to look into an imaginary sister universe. What you can do with intelligent design? You can't even imagine intelligently designed world with it, something that science fiction does well.
Old April 28 2014, 10:00 PM   #62
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I prefer the Modified G-String Theory. THAT is an intelligently designed theory.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 10:20 PM   #63
Dryson
Lieutenant Commander

DarthTom wrote: View Post
YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
For many scientifically literate Christians the way the question was asked takes God out of the equation and IMO they lose confidence.

Had the question been asked separately as well, " ~ 13 billion year ago, God started the big bang and the universe unfolded and man came about through natural selection...," the number of respondents who agreeed would have been higher.

The Catholic church for example embraces a 13 billion year old universe, the big bang and natural selection. They just also believe that God lighted the match that started the whole process with the intent for man to be eventually created.
Taking God out of the equation is no different than taking your parents out of life. Humans have to let go of the hand of God and use what they have learned and discovered so far to spread the seed of humanity otherwise humanity will be like the 40 year old still living in their parents basement because they would rather party and drug and booze their life away....this isn't reality....you wanted adventure.....go on go on.....all my hopes Starfleet.
Dryson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 12:57 PM   #64
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re:

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory
Well that's bad for the show then. Will it be cancelled now?
Maybe next season Sheldon and his mom can discuss this study.
Old April 29 2014, 01:16 PM   #65
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re:

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
51% of Americans don't accept the Big Bang theory
It's cancelled in China already.
Old April 29 2014, 11:03 PM   #66
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral

scotthm wrote: View Post
Yminale wrote: View Post
Sigh, America proves once again that it is special and not in a good way.
The good news is that confidence (or not) in evolution or the Big Bang will have virtually no effect on how most people live their everyday lives.

---------------
This is wrong. The people who disbelieve in evolution and the big bang in general not only distrust science but are actively against it (I am not referring to all of them, just most). As a result of enough people leading their life this way, while America remains one of the top nations for people who self identify as religious, it is falling dramatically in the sciences particularly after a decade of it being attacked by the religious right.

What a person believes absolutely can and usually does influence what they do.
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 10:48 PM   #67
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re:

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
It's cancelled in China already.
China would only cancel it, if TBBT did a time travel episode.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...l-films-177801
Old April 30 2014, 11:58 PM   #68
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Or when it's in streaming.
Old May 1 2014, 12:28 AM   #69
urbandefault
Captain

I like to think that 51% of Americans get a chuckle out of pissing off the other 49%.
Old May 1 2014, 02:44 AM   #70
scotthm
Rear Admiral

PurpleBuddha wrote: View Post
The good news is that confidence (or not) in evolution or the Big Bang will have virtually no effect on how most people live their everyday lives.
This is wrong. The people who disbelieve in evolution and the big bang in general not only distrust science but are actively against it (I am not referring to all of them, just most).
I must live a sheltered life. I don't know anyone who is "actively against" science.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 04:02 AM   #71
gturner
Admiral

Nobody does, but some people need to believe in sasquatch or tilt at windmills or they're just not happy. When was the last time you heard some aerospace engineer complain that his field was being held back because ten or fifteen percent of Americans didn't know that aluminum had much better grain refinement when alloyed with scandium and perhaps yttrium? You never have, because real science doesn't depend on a plurality of believers, a majority of believers, or a consensus of believers. Those are only required for religions.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 11:15 PM   #72
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

From time to time the regulator limits American-style reality TV and other light fare on satellite channels, ostensibly to stop “vulgar content.”
Oh good golly!

What are they objecting to?

This is SHELDON we are talking about!

It MUST be Wolowitz's fault.
Old May 3 2014, 03:58 AM   #73
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I must live a sheltered life. I don't know anyone who is "actively against" science.
Meet these fine people active in their community.
As TheBlaze reported last month, publishers submitted proposed textbooks this summer, but committees of Texas volunteer reviewers — some nominated by creationists who are current and former Board of Education members — raised objections.

One argued that creationism based on biblical texts should be taught in science classes, while others objected that climate change wasn’t as settled a scientific matter as some of the proposed books said.
Or these folks from Kentucky.
“I would hope that creationism is presented as a theory in the classroom, in a science classroom, alongside evolution,” Sen. David Givens (R-Greensburg) said.

Rep. Ben Waide (R-Madisonville), decided to go one better. He seemed to want to kick out evolution altogether.

“The theory of evolution is a theory, and essentially the theory of evolution is not science – Darwin made it up,” Waide said. “My objection is they should ensure whatever scientific material is being put forth as a standard should at least stand up to scientific method. Under the most rudimentary, basic scientific examination, the theory of evolution has never stood up to scientific scrutiny.”
These people in Tennessee have been quite active, too.
A bill that allows Tennessee public school teachers to teach alternatives to mainstream scientific theories such as evolution will become law this month after the governor refused to sign or veto the measure, The Washington Post’s Valerie Strauss reports.

Supporters of the law say its goal is to encourage healthy skepticism among students. “Critical thinking, analysis fosters good science,” Robin Zimmer, a biotechnology consultant and affiliate of a creationist organization, wrote in the Nashville Tennessean in March.

But critics say the true goal of what they call “the monkey bill” is made clear by the list of subjects that could be challenged by teachers during class, including global warming and evolution. The bill is a “permission slip” for schools “to bring creationism, climate-change denial and other non-science into science classrooms,” Eugenie Scott, director of the National Center for Science Education, told Nature magazine.
Old May 3 2014, 04:24 AM   #74
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Meet these fine people active in their community.
Or these folks from Kentucky.
These people in Tennessee have been quite active, too.
As I said, no one I know is doing these things.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 04:39 AM   #75
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Hmmm...been following this very interesting thread with it's important topic...some well laid out arguments and talking points, to be sure...never actually seen the show, but that is for another thread...I have been looking back at the actual survey questions Yellow provided us with, and I can't quite make it work...has it occurred to anyone, that, with all due respect to the respondents, they did not understand what "the Big Bang" meant in the context of the survey, and neither did they understand what "Natural Selection" meant...?

...and, finally, I do not understand asking them about their confidence in Science in the context of the question about a Supreme Being guiding the Universe's creation...???

...help me clarify?
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote