Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 24 2014, 04:19 PM   #16
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: nuEnterprise cutaway

Thank you all for the kind words
drt wrote: View Post
It seems like the "intermix chambers" and the "communications" areas are both a bit too big, I wonder if one could find rough plans for the Van Nuys brewery and get a sense for the acual dimentions of those areas?
The length of the brewery I got from an article/interview with Atomic Fiction, who made the CG extended version for the roly poly sequence. They said the CG set extended about 100 feet in front and behind the actors, so about 200ft across (IIRC I ended up making it slightly bigger). The height was a guesstimate based on looking at a ton of photos inside the brewhouse, and old exterior photos of it's construction which show it to be around 100ft tall. If there are floor plans or accurate dimensions out there (even of just the fermenting tanks), I'd be very happy to see them and adjust accordingly!

I originally had Communications smaller, until I saw a Youtube video of the Van Nuys brewery tour, and the guide gave the size of the tanks in there as 20ft tall and 80ft long. He may have been rounding up, but I took it literally and adjusted accordingly. It's worth noting that in Star Trek: The Video Game, the chamber appears much smaller with a low ceiling, and is right next door to the water turbine/coolant area. The warp core area in the game appears very different to anything in the movies, and as a result of all these discrepancies, I chose not to use it as a source.
And instead of intermix chambers, I think I would have called them antimatter storage tanks.
Based on what we saw inside some of them in ST'09, I like to think of them as TMP-style intermix chambers, but (battery analogy coming up) set up in parallel as opposed to the TMP version, which could be interpreted as segments stacked in series. It would be very convenient if parallel instead of series had the higher output, since it would neatly explain why they have to be suspended in massive coolant tanks. But it's the other way around. Bah.
Old April 24 2014, 05:24 PM   #17
drt
Commander

Ahhhh...

I see where you're going with that, it makes sense, since the "cores" they ejected in '09 were relatively small, I like the idea that they're inside the larger cooling/containment tanks. Maybe they're premix chambers where the reactants are heated prior to injection into the final stage NIF warp core.

It also occurs to me that maybe the "water turbine" section should be underneath the intermix chambers, to account for Kirk and Scotty's path in '09 (if one assumes they're on the way to the bridge), that would be a good location for the pumps etc. needed to circulate the coolants.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 06:12 PM   #18
RAMA
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Click!
It's a big image, and a bit rough around the edges. I did it because I've only seen one other attempt, and that one didn't take into account deck heights and other stuff learned in Into Darkness. Since I'm unlikely to ever really finish it, I'm releasing it as a Star Trek Fact Files-style "key location" cutaway. Take it in the spirit it was intended, a fun look inside the ship, rather than an accurate-to-the-inch schematic.

Credit to various ID set plans posted online, NIF building schematics from their online guidebook PDF and the ST'09 bluray for the Enterprise graphic.

Enjoy!
Excellent!
Old April 26 2014, 11:07 AM   #19
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Thanks!
drt wrote: View Post
It also occurs to me that maybe the "water turbine" section should be underneath the intermix chambers, to account for Kirk and Scotty's path in '09 (if one assumes they're on the way to the bridge), that would be a good location for the pumps etc. needed to circulate the coolants.
That was my first thought as well, until I rewatched the scene and saw the curved high ceiling where Kirk and Scotty materialize, indicating the top of the engineering hull.
Old April 26 2014, 11:19 PM   #20
drt
Commander

Huh, I never noticed the ceiling in that scene.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote