Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 20 2014, 01:20 AM   #1
david g
Commodore

MAN OF STEEL: Another look

I wasn't particularly impressed by this film when I saw it in the theater. I've given it another look on Blu Ray, and I must say I find it considerably better than I first thought it was. The casting of Henry Cavil, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, and Amy Adams is great. The Phantom Zone aliens are well-cast, too, although I still find Michael Shannon somewhat off as Zod (he is a good enough actor to sell the role, though).

What I'm particularly impressed by is how dream-like and even hallucinatory the film is. It ingeniously compresses familiar bits of Superman/Clark lore into dreamlike memories, and in doing so adds to the psychological and mythic dimensions of the film. I am also utterly fascinated by the set design and FX for all things Krypton-related, including the Phantom Zone tech such as the World-Engine. This film has one of the most ingenious visual textures of any sci-fi film since Blade Runner.

It's still an awfully odd movie that I also find to be reactionary in some ways (all the stuff about how Kansan/American Superman is). But it's a good movie overall with some astonishing moments (I am particularly struck with Clark saving Lois in the disintegrating capsule in outer space right now, and with his being forced to kill Zod at the end).
david g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 03:37 AM   #2
BDJ
Lieutenant Commander

Re: MAN OF STEEL: Another look

I completely agree. I think this movie is given way too hard a time from some folks, simply because it's not a straight up re-telling of the origin story everyone's familiar with.
The complaints about the battles and their "excessive" destruction will be made moot when the second movie deals with the consequences Superman must face.
Besides, it was his first day on the job, his first real fight and he had no real training. I don't understand the vitriol.
Cavill was great as the Man of Steel. Everyone else did a fantastic job as well, imho.
I even liked that Lois knows who he is! It keeps the entire story fresh and doesn't feel like some sort of retread.
I look forward to the next installment, without prejudice and whiny fanboy attitude. Jus' Sayin'
BDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 03:46 AM   #3
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed Man of Steel as well. I liked Kevin Costner's role as well and would have liked him to reprise the role in future movies. I liked that he didn't have all the answers.

The level of destruction is similar to the levels of damage we see in the comic books, but my one problem is that we should have seen Superman actually trying to save some of the people or cleaning up at the end.

I really loved the Kryptonian scenes and would almost like to see a World of Krypton movie set in this universe.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 04:11 AM   #4
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Always thought Man of Steel deserved a lot of credit for its aesthetic daring and willingness to depart a little from the squeaky-clean Superman template to deliver a more compelling story. It was refreshing to see a Superman movie whose villain was something more than a cackling moustache-twirler, and the final throwdown with the Kryptonian baddies was everything one could wish for from a city-smashing superhero brawl. Why exactly it got such a bumpy ride from critics I really have no idea.
Old April 20 2014, 04:20 AM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

I thought it was tedious, illogical, and not a bit of fun. It was exceptionally well-cast, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 12:13 AM   #6
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Henry Cavill was HAWT!!!

Old April 21 2014, 04:18 AM   #7
davejames
Vice Admiral

david g wrote: View Post
What I'm particularly impressed by is how dream-like and even hallucinatory the film is. It ingeniously compresses familiar bits of Superman/Clark lore into dreamlike memories, and in doing so adds to the psychological and mythic dimensions of the film. I am also utterly fascinated by the set design and FX for all things Krypton-related, including the Phantom Zone tech such as the World-Engine. This film has one of the most ingenious visual textures of any sci-fi film since Blade Runner.
Yeah I really liked that about the film as well. I haven't always liked Snyder's directing in the past, but the way he was able to meld this moody, dreamlike quality with a gritty, naturalistic camera style I thought was really well done. And just did a great job making everything feel both mythic and real at the same time.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 04:31 AM   #8
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I keep thinking I should get this, though I still haven't seen it. I read Superman a lot as a kid (50s-60s), but the only videos I currently own are the Kirk Alyn serials and the first year of the George Reeves series. I'm more curious about Man of Steel than Into Darkness (which I haven't seen either).
Old April 21 2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Only saw it for the first time at the weekend, and to be honest I don't think it needed to be a Superman movie. You could change all the names and it would still be 95% the same alien on Earth film.
Old April 21 2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Forbin
Admiral

For the most part it was okay, but the big CGI battle at the end was ridiculously overblown. Metropolis was laid waste, probably tens of thousands killed. Half of that was Supes' own fault - he didn't seem to care if he caused a ship to crash into a city block, or how many buildings he punched Zod thru. The city looked nuked at the end. So much for our great super protector.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 05:18 PM   #11
davejames
Vice Admiral

^ Not to rehash the same old arguments for the umpteenth time.... but it was actually Zod and his World Builder that was responsible for the vast majority of the city's destruction.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

... and the rest, outside of the "vast majority" (a vastly overused favorite term on the internet) was Kal's fault.

It's like if a mad gunman sprays a schoolyard and kills a dozen kids, and an armed citizen returns fire, but his stray rounds kill 6 kids too.

It's not okay.
Old April 21 2014, 08:16 PM   #13
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
... and the rest, outside of the "vast majority" (a vastly overused favorite term on the internet) was Kal's fault.

It's like if a mad gunman sprays a schoolyard and kills a dozen kids, and an armed citizen returns fire, but his stray rounds kill 6 kids too.

It's not okay.
Perhaps you should rewatch the final 3rd of the movie. All the buildings Superman and Zod crashed into were empty; except the last one where Zod attempted to kill that family.

I find it disingenuous to blame Superman for the casualties in the film. In MOS, Superman had no control of the situation. He's fighting people just as powerful as he is. His net advantage against Zod is 0. He was at a disadvantage against Faora and Nam-Ek in the Smallville fight since it was 2 against 1.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 08:55 PM   #14
Forbin
Admiral

When did they evacuate Metropolis? I must have missed that scene.
Old April 21 2014, 09:05 PM   #15
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

^ outside of the casualties caused by the World Engine. I didn't see anyone die as a result of Superman and Zod's fight. People lob that insult at MOS but when you watch the film all the buildings they slammed into didn't have people in them.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote