Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 25 2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Total Reboot?

If the PTB decided that rather than faff around with an alternate timeline they were just going to reboot TOS, how would you like it done?

Would you want just a new cast and altered storylines, or would you want them to do a full overhaul by drastically changing characters and whatnot, or something in between?

Last edited by Bry_Sinclair; March 25 2014 at 10:21 AM.
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Melakon
Admiral

Re: Total Reboot?

I prefer the 23rd century setting. I think the ships should keep Matt Jefferies' basic design cues, much like Rick ("Risk") Sternbach did countless variations on the theme.
Old March 25 2014, 10:12 AM   #3
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I want a hard reboot. Start from scratch. Make Kirk/Spock/Bones their own and canon be damned.
Old March 25 2014, 10:59 AM   #4
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
... or would you want them to do a full overhaul by drastically changing characters and whatnot, or something in between?
Change the concept too much and at some admittedly ill-defined point, it ceases to be Star Trek and becomes "something else."

I like science fiction in general, but the majority of it isn't Star Trek. Simply having three characters who are named Kirk, Spock and McCoy doesn't cut it.

Look at the opening sequence of the movie Star Trek Eleven, many would agree that that was in fact Star Trek, to some more so than the remainder of the movie. The "feel" was there. Even if Jim Kirk, Spock and Bones were not.

Last edited by T'Girl; March 25 2014 at 11:12 AM.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 12:52 PM   #5
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Trek should be treated like comic book franchises, or Sherlock Holmes. Keep enough original elements to keep it recognizable, and do a mix of new stories and fresh spins on old ones.

None of the pretentious holier-than-thou twaddle of TNG, please.
Old March 25 2014, 02:19 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I want a hard reboot. Start from scratch. Make Kirk/Spock/Bones their own and canon be damned.
Except that it will be canon no matter if it's a reboot or not.

Continuity, however, is another matter...
Old March 25 2014, 03:44 PM   #7
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Trek should be treated like comic book franchises
So, in other words, they should dump everything in the investment (time/money/emotion) that classic fans have in it, in order to focus on making a product that they hope will sell to young people who aren't currently Trek fans? That's not just bad art, it's bad business to gamble your existing customers on the hope that someone new will buy in.

On a related note: "Screw the New 52, and screw DC" - a formerly utterly devoted Superman/Justice League fan that at one point was buying two dozen of DC's titles a month, and now buys NONE and discourages others from doing so when the topic arises. Because your best word-of-mouth always comes from the ex you screwed over, doncha know?
Old March 25 2014, 04:22 PM   #8
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I'd argue that we have seen a total reboot, albiet one with references to trick gullible fans into believing that it isn't.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 04:31 PM   #9
HIjol
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
... or would you want them to do a full overhaul by drastically changing characters and whatnot, or something in between?
Change the concept too much and at some admittedly ill-defined point, it ceases to be Star Trek and becomes "something else."

I like science fiction in general, but the majority of it isn't Star Trek. Simply having three characters who are named Kirk, Spock and McCoy doesn't cut it.

Look at the opening sequence of the movie Star Trek Eleven, many would agree that that was in fact Star Trek, to some more so than the remainder of the movie. The "feel" was there. Even if Jim Kirk, Spock and Bones were not.

...could not agree more!!!...and I would further argue that they were there, in a nascent, but pleasant way!
Old March 25 2014, 04:35 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
So, in other words, they should dump everything in the investment (time/money/emotion) that classic fans have in it, in order to focus on making a product that they hope will sell to young people who aren't currently Trek fans? That's not just bad art, it's bad business to gamble your existing customers on the hope that someone new will buy in.
This is nothing but non-sense. You have to lure in young people because eventually your current customers grow old and die.
Old March 25 2014, 05:00 PM   #11
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

If the PTB decided that rather than faff around with an alternate timeline they were just going to reboot TOS, how would you like it done?

Would you want just a new cast and altered storylines, or would you want them to do a full overhaul by drastically changing characters and whatnot, or something in between?
Change too much, just for the hell of it, and it ceases to be Star Trek. You might as well call it something different. This is why I could never get into nuBSG. They changed too much, and for no logical reason I could ever figure out.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 05:03 PM   #12
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
This is nothing but non-sense. You have to lure in young people because eventually your current customers grow old and die.
The ideal approach is to draw in new customers without alienating existing ones. In Star Trek's case, however, fans have become so irrational and hyper sensitive that it's literally impossible to not alienate them.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 05:20 PM   #13
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
The ideal approach is to draw in new customers without alienating existing ones.
^^This.

I actually like the approach they've taken, if not every little detail of the actual execution - to start fresh, but in a way that gives a firm nod to the older fans that says "what you remember is still valid, and we aren't leaving you behind". We can argue all we want about various canon/continuity issues and what has changed and what hasn't and read the novels and make Primeverse fanfic and so on without feeling like the nuVerse KILLED OUR TREK , and really, that sort of minutiae is what a lot of us love about Trek - and the new audience can just enjoy what they're watching without all that or dive right into it, whatever level of involvement they want.
Old March 25 2014, 05:38 PM   #14
Jonny
Lieutenant Commander

I'd prefer any new series to be about a new crew on a different ship but since this is about a reboot then I guess I'd have it from where the Enterprise is just starting up it's 5 year mission and Kirk, Spock and Bones and the rest are all just getting to know one another. Biggest change I'd have in any reboot is more episodes for the ''lesser characters'' like Chekov or Sulu - a bit like what TNG had I suppose.

Hope that makes sense.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 05:45 PM   #15
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I don't think everything needs to be treated like a comic book. Leave that to the mostly boring comic book movies. Let Star Trek be Star Trek, and have a more broad strokes type of continuity. And if you have to reboot, don't go so crazy that you don't keep the things that are core to the show still there. Otherwise it's just monopolizing on the brand. At that point I'd rather have something new that's like Star Trek, just without the hangups (ie: most aliens are forehead aliens).
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote