Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Serpents in the Garden.
Outstanding 2 6.45%
Above Average 9 29.03%
Average 16 51.61%
Below Average 3 9.68%
Poor 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25 2014, 02:14 AM   #16
YubYubCommander
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: TOS: Serpents in the Garden by Jeff Mariotte Review Thread (Spoile

I got my copy tonight and will probably start reading it tomorrow
YubYubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 03:56 AM   #17
YubYubCommander
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just finished the first chapter and I have to admit I nearly fell out laughing at Kirk's nickname at Academy

Old April 25 2014, 04:34 AM   #18
Christopher
Writer

^That description of Kirk is from the second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." See also "Shore Leave," where Kirk said that in his Academy days he "was absolutely grim."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 01:23 AM   #19
trampledamage
Clone

Sran wrote: View Post
Jeff_Mariotte wrote: View Post
Two notes: There is actually an excerpt on the Amazon page now (though it ends not just mid-sentence, but mid-word), and here's a post I wrote recently about my long history with Star Trek publishing. Thought it might be of interest to some of the folks here.

Thanks for your interest in the book!

Edited to add: The book takes place a few months before ST:TMP. So just slightly pre-movie era.

And edited again, to add: Oddly, the excerpt is only on the mass market paperback Amazon page, not on the Kindle Amazon page. Go figure.
Welcome, Jeff! If you let moderators know you're here, they can change your title to "Writer" to match some of your colleagues who also post on this forum.

--Sran
Yep - send T'Bonz a PM and she'll organise it for you. Welcome to the forum Jeff, I hope you have a good time here.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 05:47 PM   #20
YubYubCommander
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm about halfway through with it and I've gotta say I'm enjoying it a lot more than The Folded World. The story is a lot better in my opinion. I'll post more thoughts when I hopefully unsigned it tonight
Old April 27 2014, 05:56 PM   #21
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Weird. No early arrival at either of the two B&Ns in driving distance of me. Had two B&N coupons and went Friday to see if I could pick this one up and the Blu-Ray of Sorcerer only hear the former was not in and the latter was sold out (they only had copy arrive in the store and already had a "wait list" as the warehouse was only sending one at a time.)

Anyway, I ordered it from B&N and it's set to ship out tomorrow. Looking forward to this one, love a good Movie-era novel.
Old April 29 2014, 06:20 AM   #22
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I am looking forward to reading this book

-Chris
Old April 29 2014, 06:25 PM   #23
Reanok
Commodore

My book is supposed to come in the mail in a few days . I'M Definitely look forward to reading this one.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 05:17 PM   #24
Scout101
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^That description of Kirk is from the second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." See also "Shore Leave," where Kirk said that in his Academy days he "was absolutely grim."
Yep, that lines up with everything we've heard of Kirk.

It's NuKirk that needs to be treated as a different character. May end up at a similar style later on, but young Kirk bears little to nothing in common with NuKirk...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 05:23 PM   #25
Reanok
Commodore

I got my book in the mail this Glancing through this book it looks like it's going to have a real interesting story.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 09:30 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Scout101 wrote: View Post

It's NuKirk that needs to be treated as a different character. May end up at a similar style later on, but young Kirk bears little to nothing in common with NuKirk...
Except the fact that he finished the Academy in three years. That has to say something about his seriousness and determination when it came to his studies.
Old May 1 2014, 12:49 AM   #27
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Yep, that lines up with everything we've heard of Kirk.

I believe you may be incorrect. The writers of the first Nu Trek stated in interview that they drew some of their inspiration from some of the novels. One of those novels may have been Best Destiny, in which Kirk is portrayed as a directionless and angry young man until taking part in a program for at risk youth at the insistence of his father. No father, no being pushed into that program and so Kirk just stayed angry and directionless until he met Captain Pike.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 01:46 AM   #28
Leto_II
Commander

It's true -- Best Destiny was a major influence upon Orci, at the very least:

http://www.ugo.com/movies/exclusive-star-trek-photo
Old May 1 2014, 11:33 PM   #29
JD
Admiral

I don't know if anyone else is in Az, but Jeff Marriote is going to be at Phoenix Comic-Con next month.
Old May 3 2014, 02:48 AM   #30
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

I voted average. While the story does not really break any new ground it is well executed. The characters from Tyree's world are fairly well drawn over all, especially the young man with wanderlust in his heart. The set up for how Kirk's ass is pulled out of the fire is plausible. At the same time I really didn't feel like this story resonated with me. I think some of it is the fact that while well handled I honestly don't think there is even one truly original character in the story. I knew the fate of the three officers Kirk brought with him as soon as they were introduced, the "villian" of the piece is neither evil enough to be fun, nor tortured enough to be truly sympathetic. The one true high point was probably Krell who turned out to be more interesting than I was expecting.

Over all while I'm certainly not sorry I read this I don't think it will be making my re-read list.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote