RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,542
Posts: 5,513,269
Members: 25,143
Currently online: 447
Newest member: JackieM

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 8 2014, 08:57 PM   #1
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Interesting interview on the state of science

The interview is called:

How Academia and Publishing are Destroying Scientific Innovation: A Conversation with Sydney Brenner

Sydney Brenner (wiki) worked with Crick, Sanger, and many others and won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2002.

The interview is very long, and touches on all sorts of topics, but it is well worth reading.

Here's a random excerpt:

****

SB: The thing is to have no discipline at all. Biology got its main success by the importation of physicists that came into the field not knowing any biology and I think today that’s very important.

I strongly believe that the only way to encourage innovation is to give it to the young. The young have a great advantage in that they are ignorant. Because I think ignorance in science is very important. If you’re like me and you know too much you can’t try new things. I always work in fields of which I’m totally ignorant.

ED: But he felt that young people today face immense challenges as well, which hinder their ability to creatively innovate.

SB: Today the Americans have developed a new culture in science based on the slavery of graduate students. Now graduate students of American institutions are afraid. He just performs. He’s got to perform. The post-doc is an indentured labourer. We now have labs that don’t work in the same way as the early labs where people were independent, where they could have their own ideas and could pursue them.

The most important thing today is for young people to take responsibility, to actually know how to formulate an idea and how to work on it. Not to buy into the so-called apprenticeship. I think you can only foster that by having sort of deviant studies. That is, you go on and do something really different. Then I think you will be able to foster it.

But today there is no way to do this without money. That’s the difficulty. In order to do science you have to have it supported. The supporters now, the bureaucrats of science, do not wish to take any risks. So in order to get it supported, they want to know from the start that it will work. This means you have to have preliminary information, which means that you are bound to follow the straight and narrow.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 02:54 AM   #2
Metryq
Captain
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Dogmatism in Science and Medicine: How Dominant Theories Monopolize Research and Stifle the Search for Truth by Henry Bauer
__________________
"No, I better not look. I just might be in there."
—Foghorn Leghorn, Little Boy Boo
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Charlie Kelly
Commodore
 
Charlie Kelly's Avatar
 
Location: York, United Kingdom
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Henry Bauer is a HIV denialist, I'm not sure I'd recommend his book.
Charlie Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Metryq
Captain
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Charlie Kelly wrote: View Post
Henry Bauer is a HIV denialist, I'm not sure I'd recommend his book.
"Denialist"? Thanks for making my point. The book is about all those "everyone knows" items. Whether or not he is correct in those particular arguments, it does not automatically follow that the rest of the book is invalid.

There is unquestionably something wrong (Publishers withdraw more than 120 gibberish papers) with the way science is now practiced. If big money was spent on it, the science must be good, right? One can't do good science if the petri dishes get moldy.

__________________
"No, I better not look. I just might be in there."
—Foghorn Leghorn, Little Boy Boo
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 02:21 PM   #5
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Dogmatism is always a problem, on all sides, in all directions. It's mostly an ego problem. When you, for example, present a new idea and the other guy chuckles, you know that you have hit that ego wall and that further discussion will be extremely annoying. Scientific theories are made by humans, and humans have territorial instincts. It's just natural that some people will have problems to let go of a theory or allow discussion of something that disagrees with it.

If you have a theory, back it up with evidence. That is all there is. You can "deny" the link between HIV and AIDS if you can prove it, for example. But I find the idea of some great "science conspiracy" by the "scientific community" that sticks to false theories laughable. Stuff like climate change, relativity, evolution, big bang, etc... are commonly accepted because right now there is nothing that refutes these things in a ground shakingly fashion. If you manage to disprove any of it, others will test it of course, and if they come to the same results and conclusions, they will eventually accept it.

Of course there are issues with the whole process of paper publishing. It's turned into a huge bureaucratic mess and the publishers want to make money first and foremost. The idea that anyone could write and publish a paper is still not impossible, but it's very costly. You have to be involved in the academic grinding mills to do any of that.


Only a couple of weeks ago I read about two competing universities (with their own pharmaceutical contracts, I think one in Germany, one in Canada) working on a "cure" to blindness using artificial eyes/retinae. They don't work together, because they want to be the first to make money from it. That is simply sickening. At least they are not sabotaging each others work, but I guess it's not far from that.

Last edited by JarodRussell; April 9 2014 at 02:37 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 02:33 PM   #6
Charlie Kelly
Commodore
 
Charlie Kelly's Avatar
 
Location: York, United Kingdom
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Metryq wrote: View Post
Charlie Kelly wrote: View Post
Henry Bauer is a HIV denialist, I'm not sure I'd recommend his book.
"Denialist"? Thanks for making my point. The book is about all those "everyone knows" items. Whether or not he is correct in those particular arguments, it does not automatically follow that the rest of the book is invalid.
It doesn't make your point at all. He's a denalist because the weight of scientific evidence behind HIV/AIDS is overwhelming. This isn't some scientific dogma, it's not based on belief but on the evidence and success of treating those with HIV, dramatically increasing life expectancy in many cases. And it does call into question the rest of his book. If his examples are wrong then where exactly is the dogma in science?

The other examples from your link are "Big Bang cosmology, human-caused global warming, and the efficacy of anti-depressant drugs". Not exactly great examples. I'd hardly call the first two are things that "everyone knows" as there is lots of disagreement in public, however they are both well established through decades of research. His anti-depressants example might hold merit although not because of dogma in science but because of publication bias. Drug trials are more likely to be published if they are positive and this can skew the results. I'd recommend this book if you want to know more. Bad Pharma: How Medicine is Broken, and How We Can Fix It

Metryq wrote: View Post
There is unquestionably something wrong (Publishers withdraw more than 120 gibberish papers) with the way science is now practiced. If big money was spent on it, the science must be good, right? One can't do good science if the petri dishes get moldy.

No denying this is a problem but it doesn't have anything to do with scientific dogma.
Charlie Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 03:11 PM   #7
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Well, at one time a whole lot of now accepted ideas were fringe, such as suggesting that uclers are caused by bacteria. Recently there's been a lot of discussion that the whole trans-fat and saturated-fat dietary advice was nonsense, and that there never was any real evidence to back it up, just a bandwagon that built into a dogma. Nutrition science has always been pretty sketchy because of the immense complexity of the subject and the difficulty in isolating the one component being studied, and of course it's very subject to fads.

Even Jack Horner won't get fully on the asteroid/dinosaur bandwagon, saying "I don't know what killed them, I'm just glad they're dead." It's probably that an asteroid killed them, but there were other forces acting against them (such as the problem of a large animal that has to start out from a small egg, requiring it to grow up through every ideal prey size of every other predator on the planet, including birds and mammals).

As for climate change, there's far more push for consensus than for certainty. Many top climate scientists like Judith Curry at Georgia Tech point out that the uncertainty in climate science is extremely high, and that it's a very wicked problem where gaining certainty is very difficult. None of the models can successfully backcast, much less accurately forecast (The Earth's temperature is now below all but one model run from the prior IPCC report - indicating about a 99.5% chance that the models are wrong).
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 05:06 PM   #8
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

The transfat and whatever fat example is a good one, because that is an example of coorporations misusing it to make a profit. What of it is actual research, and what is just marketing? Nutrition science is less dictated by dogma than by business strategy.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: Writing nuTrek III
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

The common denominator in skewing science is money. If there is enough money to be made, unscrupulous scientists can "prove" a whole lot of things. But money screws up a lot of human endeavors, but it does not make them invalid.

Money screws up government, but I don't hear anyone advocating anarchy.

Money screws up healthcare, but I don't hear anyone advocating abandoning medicine.

Money can screw up science, but I don't think that a reasonable person would use the actions of a few bad actors as an excuse to reject science or the scientific method as a whole.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 06:14 PM   #10
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
Money can screw up science, but I don't think that a reasonable person would use the actions of a few bad actors as an excuse to reject science or the scientific method as a whole.
Certainly not. But the current practice of making money in science.

Examples like the two universities NOT working together on the same solution because they are greedy. Companies misleading people by advertising with pseudoscience. I'm also very skeptical about certain patents, for example genetic manipulated crops that can end up anywhere.

We're moving towards a situation where the one who shouts the loudest is right. And in this case it's the one who has the most money to support a campaign to advertise certain scientific "truths". Nutritional science is a very good example for that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Solstice
Sexy Wizard
 
Solstice's Avatar
 
Location: I'm so lost T_T
View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Frankly, if you want to reduce corporate-minded motives in scientific research, you need more public funding of said research. The US lags behind the rest of the world in terms of public funding of research and it shows. The problem is not science or even the scientific community but how pathetically we underfund our science programs.
__________________
Robert Maxwell
I has a blag.
I put on my robe and wizard hat...
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 06:27 PM   #12
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: Writing nuTrek III
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Frankly, if you want to reduce corporate-minded motives in scientific research, you need more public funding of said research. The US lags behind the rest of the world in terms of public funding of research and it shows. The problem is not science or even the scientific community but how pathetically we underfund our science programs.
Yep. It would also mitigate the current trend of billionaires dumping their money into projects that may not have benefits for humanity as a whole but sure look cool.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 06:44 PM   #13
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Frankly, if you want to reduce corporate-minded motives in scientific research, you need more public funding of said research. The US lags behind the rest of the world in terms of public funding of research and it shows. The problem is not science or even the scientific community but how pathetically we underfund our science programs.
The problem with that is addressed in the article at the top of the thread. Since it's public money provided through a bureaucracy, to get funding you have to show that what you're doing is worth funding (ie. societal benefit that's likely to be realized), which means that you're just about finished with the research anyway. That can help flesh out some things we're already almost done with, but it makes it extremely difficult to fund something that's unanticipated and groundbreaking, because those types of ideas aren't already obvious enough to receive a grant.

If you tried to get a grant to invent the smart phone, you might right it up as "A proposal for research into a better way to wireless communicate via telephone, while simultaneously accessing a vast range of networked computer systems, along with live video feeds." The government response would undoubtedly have been summed up as "Why the F*** would anyone want to DO THAT? I can't imagine anything more useless to society."
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 06:47 PM   #14
Solstice
Sexy Wizard
 
Solstice's Avatar
 
Location: I'm so lost T_T
View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

gturner wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Frankly, if you want to reduce corporate-minded motives in scientific research, you need more public funding of said research. The US lags behind the rest of the world in terms of public funding of research and it shows. The problem is not science or even the scientific community but how pathetically we underfund our science programs.
The problem with that is addressed in the article at the top of the thread. Since it's public money provided through a bureaucracy, to get funding you have to show that what you're doing is worth funding (ie. societal benefit that's likely to be realized), which means that you're just about finished with the research anyway. That can help flesh out some things we're already almost done with, but it makes it extremely difficult to fund something that's unanticipated and groundbreaking, because those types of ideas aren't already obvious enough to receive a grant.

If you tried to get a grant to invent the smart phone, you might right it up as "A proposal for research into a better way to wireless communicate via telephone, while simultaneously accessing a vast range of networked computer systems, along with live video feeds." The government response would undoubtedly have been summed up as "Why the F*** would anyone want to DO THAT? I can't imagine anything more useless to society."
Yeah, if the government exists as some strawman character you invented, it's easy to see how public funding of research goes awry!
__________________
Robert Maxwell
I has a blag.
I put on my robe and wizard hat...
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2014, 06:54 PM   #15
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: Writing nuTrek III
Re: Interesting interview on the state of science

gturner wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Frankly, if you want to reduce corporate-minded motives in scientific research, you need more public funding of said research. The US lags behind the rest of the world in terms of public funding of research and it shows. The problem is not science or even the scientific community but how pathetically we underfund our science programs.
The problem with that is addressed in the article at the top of the thread. Since it's public money provided through a bureaucracy, to get funding you have to show that what you're doing is worth funding (ie. societal benefit that's likely to be realized), which means that you're just about finished with the research anyway. That can help flesh out some things we're already almost done with, but it makes it extremely difficult to fund something that's unanticipated and groundbreaking, because those types of ideas aren't already obvious enough to receive a grant.

If you tried to get a grant to invent the smart phone, you might right it up as "A proposal for research into a better way to wireless communicate via telephone, while simultaneously accessing a vast range of networked computer systems, along with live video feeds." The government response would undoubtedly have been summed up as "Why the F*** would anyone want to DO THAT? I can't imagine anything more useless to society."
Well obviously the government science institutes are run by trained monkeys who randomly pick projects by stabbing at them with petrified banana peels. Seriously dude, lots of typed words don't mean you have a valid point.

What do you want? Money for scientific research has to come from somebody, and those who provide that money have to have some kind of process for picking whom they are going to provide that money to, or else it is wasted.

So unless you are advocating that we drop random bundles of money on any person who claims to be a scientist in the hopes they might be able to help humanity, then I don't see the point in radical changes to the current system.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.