RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,253
Members: 25,411
Currently online: 544
Newest member: V'alkis

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 18 2014, 01:51 AM   #1
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Dangerman is a prequel to The Prisioner?

Dangerman

This is something I've heard said with confidence but since I am hardly an authority on the larger subject... I assume that there are arguments to either side that Dangerman is and isn't a prequel to the Prisoner.

What's your opinion?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; April 18 2014 at 02:10 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 02:17 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Dangerman is a prequel to The Prisioner?

The producers of The Prisoner have different opinions on whether Number Six was the same person as Danger Man's John Drake. I believe it was Patrick McGoohan who insisted they were separate, and another producer who says they were the same guy. But when Number Six's vital statistics such as date of birth were given in "Arrival," he was given McGoohan's date of birth and the like instead of Drake's.

The thing is, the creators of The Prisoner didn't have the rights to the John Drake character. I believe McGoohan had walked out on Danger Man to do The Prisoner. So they weren't from the same creators, and thus the makers of TP couldn't legally present their character as being John Drake. So officially he's a different person. But it's possible that that was just a facade and that their intent was to imply that he was Drake.

For what it's worth, the first line of Thomas M. Disch's Prisoner tie-in novel is "Drake woke." But that's the only use of the name in the entire book.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Kronos
Admiral

I've always thought they were the same, the ID card is enough for me.
Old April 18 2014, 04:51 AM   #4
ManOnTheWave
Vice Admiral

I don 't think I've ever seen Danger Man, however, I've heard fans forever trying to shoehorn DM, TP, and Ice Station Zebra into a single continuity for ages. As far as I 'm concerned, it sounds like a fun idea for a DVD marathon, and any discrepancies about age, dates, names and supposed backgrounds could all be just cover stories or dual identities. The man's a spy.
Old April 18 2014, 05:03 AM   #5
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Patrick McGoohan had said in many interviews that he was partially inspired to do The Prisoner while filming Danger Man --one episode in particular, "Colony Three." He had wanted it to be Drake waking up in The Village, but of course, couldn't get the rights. I think, to McGoohan, the identity of the Prisoner was completely irrelevant. He was Everyman in a morality play, so his particular "identity" was meaningless.
Old April 18 2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

I think the confusion comes from the American theme song by Johnny Rivers when he sings "they've given you a number and taken away your name".
That song came way, way later after the original British release.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Gov Kodos
Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Patrick McGoohan had said in many interviews that he was partially inspired to do The Prisoner while filming Danger Man --one episode in particular, "Colony Three." He had wanted it to be Drake waking up in The Village, but of course, couldn't get the rights. I think, to McGoohan, the identity of the Prisoner was completely irrelevant. He was Everyman in a morality play, so his particular "identity" was meaningless.
Yes, while it might make an interesting series to see the two shows as part of Drake's life, 'The Prisoner' is much more meaningful to see the character of Number 6 as Everyman. The whole point of the search for information, and his resolute stand to be taken as an individual not to be numbered or categorized is far more powerful as a voice for anyone facing a society demanding you to fill in a form to be recognized than a particular spy being interrogated.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 05:37 PM   #8
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

It's hard to view 6 as Everyman though because he's presented to us as exceptionally talented and has a kind of superior attitude about him. If anything he's best viewed as a rebellion against Everyman.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 06:14 PM   #9
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^Of course, The Prisoner was also made in the '60s, and the counter-culture movement of the time did indeed see it itself as morally superior to the corrupt establishment. I think all rebels have a sense of superiority to whatever it is they rebel against.
Old April 19 2014, 12:34 AM   #10
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Yea, but with most people the sense of superiority is expressed by arguing with them in an indignant tone of voice like they're begging you to agree with them. #6 expresses it by just dominating body language.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 12:42 AM   #11
Melakon
Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
I think the confusion comes from the American theme song by Johnny Rivers when he sings "they've given you a number and taken away your name".
Some Americans may not be aware that Danger Man aired in the United States as Secret Agent, with new opening titles using the Johnny Rivers theme.
Old April 19 2014, 12:49 AM   #12
Christopher
Writer

Melakon wrote: View Post
Some Americans may not be aware that Danger Man aired in the United States as Secret Agent, with new opening titles using the Johnny Rivers theme.
Which is a shame, because the original theme tune, "High Wire" by Edwin Astley, is pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6jYfJgj-o

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 01:28 AM   #13
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Yea, but with most people the sense of superiority is expressed by arguing with them in an indignant tone of voice like they're begging you to agree with them. #6 expresses it by just dominating body language.

I htink you're missing the point. The show is an ALLEGORY. Everything is symbolic. McGoohan wanted to show that the individual can triumph over the "collective"; of course he would make him superior in one way or another.
Old April 19 2014, 03:08 AM   #14
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
I like the Johnny Rivers theme, but the way he sings "Secret Agent Man" sounds like "Secret Asian Man" and believe me - once you hear Secret Asian Man you'll never hear Secret Agent Man again. Kind of messes up the song.
Old April 19 2014, 03:13 AM   #15
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^It's not just me!