To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Favourite Season-long Story arc?
The Master (Series 8 - OldWho) 4 11.76%
Space Station Nerva (Series 12 - OldWho) 4 11.76%
The Key to Time (Series 16 - OldWho) 16 47.06%
Entropy (Series 18 - OldWho) 6 17.65%
The Trial of a Time Lord (Series 23 - OldWho) 7 20.59%
Bad Wolf (Series 1 - NuWho) 10 29.41%
Torchwood (Series 2 - NuWho) 1 2.94%
Mr. Saxon (Series 3 - NuWho) 6 17.65%
Medusa Cascade (Series 4 - NuWho) 3 8.82%
"He will knock four times." (Series 4B - NuWho) 3 8.82%
Cracks in the Universe (Series 5 - NuWho) 17 50.00%
Death of the Doctor (Series 6 - NuWho) 4 11.76%
The Impossible Girl (Series 7 - NuWho) 7 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26 2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Best Season-long Story arc

OK, so we all know that the NuWho, 2005-onwards phase of Doctor Who is arc-heavy, with each season comprising of an arc of its own, and arguably there's a unifying factor for the era in which each Doctor operated (the Bad Wolf for the Ninth, Silence for the Eleventh)... but even OldWho had its season-long story arcs (not to mention its own overlapping arcs, like the Doctor's Earth Exile, and smaller arcs like the Black Guardian's revenge in Davison's era), most notably the Trial of a Time Lord one in the mid-80's.

But which of all of these is the best? Or, rather, your favourite? Do you like two of them almost equally? Please share your thoughts with us all.

And, enjoy the debates!

NOTE: The "Space Station Nerva" and "Entropy" arcs might be lesser known, but they're Tom Baker and first and last seasons, respectively. The arc in either is loose, but very present and apparent - especially in Entropy's case, where the reason the Doctor and Romana were lost in E-Space was because of problems in Logopolis, as said in the eponymous story.

Also, I listed only the TV arcs. I'm sure that there are others in Big Finish's huge line-up of stories, but I concentrated on season-long arcs mostly, and with audio I'm not quite up-to-date personally, so I apologize to those who wish some or all of them were included here (though I did almost include the Charley Pollard arc of Eighth's first two seasons).
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return

Last edited by Emperor-Tiberius; April 27 2014 at 03:17 AM.
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 12:01 AM   #2
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Best Season-long Story arc

I voted Trial of a Time Lord, Bad Wolf, and Mr. Saxon.
Old April 27 2014, 12:27 AM   #3
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I voted for He Will Knock Four Times, Cracks in the Universe, and The Impossible Girl.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 12:32 AM   #4
Mr Light
Admiral

I'll vote by era;

Key to Time (the high point of Classic Who for me)
Saxon
Impossible Girl

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 04:54 PM   #5
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I voted for Death of the Doctor, an arc that seems to not be all that liked, but I loved it and season six is probably my favorite season of nuWho (although five and one are close behind it).
Old April 27 2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

The funny thing about both "He will knock four times" and the Death of the Doctor arc is that, in retrospect, they make better sense now than they did when they were broadcast. Tenth's reaction is kinda logical, since this will be his final regeneration, and he may not even survive that long, either. And Eleventh's similar fear in that season now is more suspenceful, because he actually WILL die and there's nothing he can do about it...

Of course, that only works in retrospect, because the War Doctor is not even hinted at during those seasons, so... But, at least it fits nicely, oddly enough.

Old April 27 2014, 06:53 PM   #7
DWF
Vice Admiral

The "Entopy" arc is really called The Master trilogy, since it contains the three stories that saw the return of the Master. The Keeper Of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva. The 18th season also had the E-space trilogy consisting of Full Circle, The State Of Decay and Warrior's Gate.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 07:48 PM   #8
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Not really. The Entropy arc consists of only the 18th season. The entropy caused by the Logopolitans' inability to contain the destruction of the universe created the E-Space entry for the Doctor and Romana to get in. And thats all after the Doctor started using the Randomizer again. The story concludes in Logopolis.

Its a subtle arc, I admit, but the intent is there.

The Master's Return arc is only three stories long, and consists of the last two stories of the 18th season, with a forced tag-along of Castrovalva in the next season - Bidmead didn't think the story would be followed-up upon so directly before they called him to write the Fifth Doctor's opening story.

Finally, I made the thread about the season-long arcs, ones that run more than a couple of stories in a given season. Thus why I also ignored other arcs, like the Black Guardian trilogy in series 20 of OldWho.

Old April 27 2014, 08:19 PM   #9
DWF
Vice Admiral

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Not really. The Entropy arc consists of only the 18th season. The entropy caused by the Logopolitans' inability to contain the destruction of the universe created the E-Space entry for the Doctor and Romana to get in. And thats all after the Doctor started using the Randomizer again. The story concludes in Logopolis.

Its a subtle arc, I admit, but the intent is there.

The Master's Return arc is only three stories long, and consists of the last two stories of the 18th season, with a forced tag-along of Castrovalva in the next season - Bidmead didn't think the story would be followed-up upon so directly before they called him to write the Fifth Doctor's opening story.

Finally, I made the thread about the season-long arcs, ones that run more than a couple of stories in a given season. Thus why I also ignored other arcs, like the Black Guardian trilogy in series 20 of OldWho.
Entropy was only a factor in Logopolis not some season long story arc, season eight isn't a story arc either other than the MAster there's nothign tying the stories together. And really David Tennant's final stories aren't even part of a season just a series of specials. The Key To Time was the series first ever season long story arc and The Trial Of A Time Lord was the next, but they were new concepts even back in those days.
Old April 27 2014, 08:44 PM   #10
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Key to Time (some of the best of the Tom Baker era)
Bad Wolf (a great way to kick off nuWho)
Cracks in the Universe
Old April 27 2014, 10:07 PM   #11
diankra
Commodore

Full Circle introduces the CVEs and E-Space, key to Logopolis, and Warriors Gate depicts entropic collapse on a smaller scale.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 12:45 AM   #12
DWF
Vice Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
Full Circle introduces the CVEs and E-Space, key to Logopolis, and Warriors Gate depicts entropic collapse on a smaller scale.
I suppose that argument could be made, but truthfully that wasn't the intent. Really since it was Tom Baker's final season and he was ill though some of it, his Doctor seem to be the greatest victim of the entropy.
Old April 28 2014, 02:45 AM   #13
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

In any case, the case can be made for it, and indeed that series did feel unified in ways previous DW series hadn't been. In many ways, series 18 was the prototypical RTD season - self-contained stories, tied together very loosely until the climactic story reveals the connections.

Difference is, that whole series lacked decent characterization. Its like Bidmead was unable to convey the simplest character interaction without the usage of mathematics in the mix. Its very difficult to be engaged in an otherwise wonderfully original plot when there's no depth in the interactions - though, to be fair, there were a couple of decent stories, namely The Keeper of the Traken.

Old April 28 2014, 03:47 AM   #14
diankra
Commodore

It ended up being unified as the script pencilled in for the season finale ran into problems, so the script editor had to write a replacement, and he built on stuff from earlier in the season. So no, it wssn't intended till late on, but the Bad Wolf arc developed by accident as well.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 03:58 AM   #15
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I speak after the fact, of course. I don't doubt the intention wasn't there going in, but at the end, it did end up being such. And as it is is, I really think it serves like a reminder of the RTD arcs - certainly seem like an early inspiration for him, personally.