RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,547
Posts: 5,421,995
Members: 24,804
Currently online: 387
Newest member: comicstar100

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 27 2014, 02:06 PM   #31
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
Characters, characters, characters… never forget they’re the underpinning of any good story. The reader has to be drawn in to your characters, to their stories, their hopes, fears, failures and triumphs. All the cool space battles and super-starships in the cosmos won’t make a bit of difference if your characters are paper-thin and the reader can’t identify with them.
Well characters are at the heart of any story, closely followed by story. You also want some limits on your tech, so sure you can have a supership that does everything but you don't want any obstacles to be too easily overcome or there could be a lack of drama.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 02:47 PM   #32
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

But just write whatever the hell you want and apply criticism only in the second pass. It's fan fiction, so you have the luxury of time.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 05:18 PM   #33
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

True, you can always go back and change it. When i did PBEM's i used to through several drafts before I was happy enough to post.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 09:14 PM   #34
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Another thing I recognized upon watching Abramstrek 1... write the story for the real world first, and then translate it into space. If it makes sense in a real world scenario, it will make sense in sci fi as well.


nuKirk's journey from cadet to captain is completely ridiculous if you apply it to the real world. A madman with his own ship (let's say a submarine), and an arsenal of nuclear weapons has destroyed a Navy ship, and killed cadet Kirk's father in the process. Years later, he shows up again, and attacks a major city. Naval cadet Kirk is suspended for cheating on a test, but illegally boards the aircraft carrier Enterprise which is sent to the rescue mission. He runs into the command center and confronts the commanding officer (Pike) with his hunch about how it's the madman. When the Enterprise arrives, the rest of the fleet is already destroyed. Pike promotes cadet Kirk to First Officer (!). To save the ship, Pike takes a helicopter to the madman's ship, but drops Kirk and a couple of others in diving suits into the water to stop the nuclear bomb. Pike gets captured, Kirk fails the mission, and the bomb goes off. The city is completely destroyed. The Enterprise could escape the blast zone just in time.

Now, the actual First Officer (Spock) lost his mother in the explosion. He actually left his post (!), took a helicopter to rescue her, but she didn't make it. There is a heated confrontation with Kirk, who wants to go after the madman's submarine immediately. Spock exiles Kirk on a rescue boat on a deserted island (!), instead of putting him into the brig. The Enterprise heads off to meet up with the rest of the naval fleet.

Kirk manages to reach the outpost on the island. He steals a helicopter together with another exiled dude (Scotty) on the outpost, and catches up with the Enterprise. When they are caught, they are taken to the command center. There, Kirk causes a serious meltdown in Spock. Now, the entire crew of the aircraft carrier is completely baffled, no command hierarchy exists (!), so Kirk takes command of the whole thing. And the other dude from the island outpost is promoted to chief engineer of the aircraft carrier (!).

Eventually, Kirk and Spock do a sneak attack on the madman's ship before he can destroy yet another city, rescue Pike and detonate one of the nuclear bombs to destroy the ship.

After that, Kirk is promoted to commanding officer of the aircraft carrier.


This is an absolutely ridiculous story.
Oh, I like that!
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 02:12 PM   #35
GeorgeKirk
Commodore
 
GeorgeKirk's Avatar
 
Location: The Internet
View GeorgeKirk's Twitter Profile
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Another thing I recognized upon watching Abramstrek 1... write the story for the real world first, and then translate it into space. If it makes sense in a real world scenario, it will make sense in sci fi as well.
Exactly. In fact, Gene Roddenberry said as much in the original TOS Writers' Guide:

AND SO, IN EVERY SCENE OF OUR STAR TREK STORY...

... translate it into a real life situation. Or, sometimes as useful, try it in your mind as a scene in GUNSMOKE, NAKED CITY, or some similar show. Would you believe the people and the scene if it happened there?

IF YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE WHO ANSWERS: "THE CHARACTER ACTS THAT WAY BECAUSE IT'S SCIENCE FICTION", DON'T CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU.
It's amazing how many professional and fan writers ignore this very basic advice that's as old as Star Trek itself. It's one reason I think the TOS Writer's Guide should be required reading for anyone writing any kind of Star Trek story.
__________________
futureprobe
GeorgeKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 12:54 PM   #36
Smokncatfood
Cadet
 
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

Something that I like to see in Star Trek, and that's fun to write into my own fiction are references to the present - like when Kirk was climbing El Capitan at Yosemite. Also, two of my own characters take shore leave in Santa Monica, and comment about the pier still being there after all those years. And I can't imagine a future without a Hard Rock Cafe on Risa! This shouldn't be over-done, of course, but it's fun to throw one of these in every now & then, and I think it gives the reader something more personal to relate to.

Last edited by Smokncatfood; May 7 2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: thought of better wording
Smokncatfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 02:30 PM   #37
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

Don't overdo that. I remember one TOS novel in which someone paid with American Express or something.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 02:04 AM   #38
Smokncatfood
Cadet
 
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

Oh, BTW - I'm glad I'm not the only one who, during the end credits of the first Abrams Trek movie, thought to myself, 'wait a minute!'...how much time just passed...was Kirk....did he even GRADUATE from the academy before he assumed command of the ENTERPRISE???
Smokncatfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 08:45 AM   #39
surak-toc
Commander
 
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

Thank you one and all for the great advice so far
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 02:22 PM   #40
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

GeorgeKirk wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Another thing I recognized upon watching Abramstrek 1... write the story for the real world first, and then translate it into space. If it makes sense in a real world scenario, it will make sense in sci fi as well.
Exactly. In fact, Gene Roddenberry said as much in the original TOS Writers' Guide:

AND SO, IN EVERY SCENE OF OUR STAR TREK STORY...

... translate it into a real life situation. Or, sometimes as useful, try it in your mind as a scene in GUNSMOKE, NAKED CITY, or some similar show. Would you believe the people and the scene if it happened there?

IF YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE WHO ANSWERS: "THE CHARACTER ACTS THAT WAY BECAUSE IT'S SCIENCE FICTION", DON'T CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU.
It's amazing how many professional and fan writers ignore this very basic advice that's as old as Star Trek itself. It's one reason I think the TOS Writer's Guide should be required reading for anyone writing any kind of Star Trek story.
Horseshit.

Explain to me how some trek writer translated a real-world makes-sense situation into The Immunity Syndrome or Catspaw?
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 04:02 PM   #41
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
GeorgeKirk wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Another thing I recognized upon watching Abramstrek 1... write the story for the real world first, and then translate it into space. If it makes sense in a real world scenario, it will make sense in sci fi as well.
Exactly. In fact, Gene Roddenberry said as much in the original TOS Writers' Guide:

AND SO, IN EVERY SCENE OF OUR STAR TREK STORY...

... translate it into a real life situation. Or, sometimes as useful, try it in your mind as a scene in GUNSMOKE, NAKED CITY, or some similar show. Would you believe the people and the scene if it happened there?

IF YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE WHO ANSWERS: "THE CHARACTER ACTS THAT WAY BECAUSE IT'S SCIENCE FICTION", DON'T CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU.
It's amazing how many professional and fan writers ignore this very basic advice that's as old as Star Trek itself. It's one reason I think the TOS Writer's Guide should be required reading for anyone writing any kind of Star Trek story.
Horseshit.

Explain to me how some trek writer translated a real-world makes-sense situation into The Immunity Syndrome or Catspaw?
You fail to see the point. Forget about the specifics of giant amobea, or ghosts. It's about how real world humans would react when they are confronted with things like that. Are the character's motivations to do something believable? Etc...

And again, just because there are examples how sometimes they didn't follow the advice, doesn't mean it's wrong advice.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 04:37 PM   #42
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
GeorgeKirk wrote: View Post

Exactly. In fact, Gene Roddenberry said as much in the original TOS Writers' Guide:

It's amazing how many professional and fan writers ignore this very basic advice that's as old as Star Trek itself. It's one reason I think the TOS Writer's Guide should be required reading for anyone writing any kind of Star Trek story.
Horseshit.

Explain to me how some trek writer translated a real-world makes-sense situation into The Immunity Syndrome or Catspaw?
You fail to see the point. Forget about the specifics of giant amobea, or ghosts. It's about how real world humans would react when they are confronted with things like that. Are the character's motivations to do something believable? Etc...

And again, just because there are examples how sometimes they didn't follow the advice, doesn't mean it's wrong advice.
The objection comes when you couch this particular bit of advice in terms of "This is what Gene would do" or "This is what Gene said to do" when in fact Gene can-x-ed his own advice on a regular basis, starting with the original pilot, and he didn't really give a damn if his writers ignored his advice either. His basic criteria for approving a story - whether he ever admitted it or not - was "Is the girl in it hot?" and "Will I get all the money and credit for producing it?" Every other comment of his on the subject is Hollywood Boilerplate.

I didn't say the advice was wrong. What's horseshit is that Gene Roddenberry or any canon writers killed themselves trying to follow it.
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 06:56 PM   #43
surak-toc
Commander
 
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

That's the end of the topic, back to tips, what would you say is a good tip for creating a ship
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 06:59 PM   #44
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

surak-toc wrote: View Post
That's the end of the topic, back to tips, what would you say is a good tip for creating a ship
Less is more. Don't go into the fanboyish stuff of "it has 70 phaser banks and 500 torpedo tubes and a dozen warp nacelles". They did that even in Star Trek Nemesis, it was cringe worthy.

Take a look at the TMP Enterprise and the TNG Enterprise. Those are thorough designs, for both interior and exterior.

I'd also look at contemporary ship designs, like aircraft carriers, to get some idea on why things are designed this or that way in the real world.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 09:10 PM   #45
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: Tips for writing a great Star Trek fanfiction story or series.

Make the design goal-oriented. Decide what you need the ship to do before you try to figure out what it looks like. Also, ignore the word "fanboy." It's shorthand for "I'm a more enlightened Trekkie than you." If your ship needs 70 phaser banks to accomplish the mission you set for the crew, put 'em in. Those who object don't have to read the story.
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.