Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 19 2014, 05:14 AM   #1
T'reah
Cadet

Dr. Bashir allowed to practice medicine

What do you all think of Julian being allowed to continue practicing medicine after his genetic augmentation came to light? Don't get me wrong I'm glad! But did it seem a little out of the ordinary for star fleet not to enforce a rule that important to anyone else?
T'reah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Re: Dr. Bashir allowed to practice medicine

I thought the Bashir Can't Be Smart Naturally concept pretty terrible, especially when they tried to make it a birth defects parable. It completely upends the character, and they didn't even have the courtesy to tell the actor about it in advance.
Old April 19 2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Seven of Five
Commodore

It was a bad twist, that should have been built up to properly. But other than that, I'd say it was fine for him to continue practicing. It wasn't him that wanted the procedure, and he spent the rest of his life ashamed, and tried to hide it.
Old April 19 2014, 04:39 PM   #4
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

T'reah has a point. At some point, Bashir lied on an application during his time in Starfleet. That's means for dismissal.
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

^Which part of the application?
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 05:47 PM   #6
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

^I'm sure their was a section where he to declare his natural born citizenship. I think he was supposed to add augmented in that section.
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 07:01 PM   #7
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

I would imagine that it was less of a lie of saying falsehood and more of a lie of omission. I'd imagine that Starfleet viewed it in that context when they made their decision about allowing him to remain a Starfleet officer and a practicing doctor.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 07:08 PM   #8
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The idea that the Federation, of all things, would discriminate and punish genetically enhanced people (especially those who were enhanced in their childhood, well before legal age of consent), is crazy anyways. Just because there was one or two warlords among them. That's prejudice, racism, genetism, whatever.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 08:04 PM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
Have you ever be a party/participant to a major crime, or conspiricy to conceal same?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 08:44 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
T'reah has a point. At some point, Bashir lied on an application during his time in Starfleet. That's means for dismissal.
Finn wrote: View Post
^I'm sure their was a section where he to declare his natural born citizenship. I think he was supposed to add augmented in that section.
We can't say for sure, but if there was a place for ciitzenship, would it not be something like place of birth, and no doubt his Birth certificate would be stored electronically. So fairly easy to match up.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 09:18 PM   #11
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Two thoughts:
1 - unless he were jailed (for what exactly, given that it was his father who committed the crime, rather than Dr Bashir), in the eyes of the starfleet brass, the prospect of Bashir being out of starfleet and hence uncontrolled, and potentially running off to a non-aligned system and using his medical genius for less than meritable purposes was far more concerning than making an exception to the standard procedures to keep an eye on what he was doing.

2 - Maybe Section 31 had something to do with it, and that was the bargaining chip Sloane had to recruit him with later.
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 10:33 PM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The idea that the Federation, of all things, would discriminate and punish genetically enhanced people (especially those who were enhanced in their childhood, well before legal age of consent), is crazy anyways. Just because there was one or two warlords among them. That's prejudice, racism, genetism, whatever.
Exactly. It makes no sense for the Starfleet we know to treat people like inferior citizens just because their parents did something to them when they were young.

And if they were going to introduce that idea they should have explored it better. So I'm a genetically enhanced person. I don't have any terrible maladaptive personality disorder, so I'm not put away. And legally I'm not allowed to enter the fields I want, instead I'm lectured about Khan Singh and told to contribute in other ways. What am I going to do? Not stick around in the Federation obviously, I'll move somewhere else, and live however I damn well want to live.

The only other genetically enhanced people were the crazies. Why did we never see one who just told the Federation to screw off and joined some mercenary crew? How come none of the ones who did what they were told and 'Contributed in other ways' flipped out and started demanding the same treatment Bashir got?

They not only came up with a terrible storyline, they ignored the obvious implications that were inconvenient.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 10:59 PM   #13
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

How does being an augment change where he was born? He wasn't even augmented until after his seventh birthday.
Old April 19 2014, 11:38 PM   #14
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I kind of think the genetic enhancement storyline would have worked better if his parents hadn't told him about it, and he didn't find out until the episode in question. What a blow that would have been to Bashir's confidence and self-esteem.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 11:59 PM   #15
doctorfoto
Commodore

I think there would be less of an issue of Bashir's Federation citizenship, but certainly Bashir would have had to submit to routine medical exams and screenings as we know that Starfleet Officers often need to do. Of course, being CMO of the station would allow him to easily bypass any medical scrutiny he would need to go through - so I think maintaining THAT kind of a cover-up over the years would have been the most damning thing to Bashir's Starfleet career more than anything.
doctorfoto is offline   Reply With Quote