RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,708
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 436
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 2 2014, 05:45 PM   #16
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Re: The top 100 most prolific characters in all of Trek

Out of curiosity, where did Cullah come in?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:05 PM   #17
CaptPapa
Commander

Very impressive work, thank you.

A question or two . . . since you counted the two (ooops, one) new movies' alternate universe dialog, did you count the dialog from Mirror, Mirror? And if so, I guess both our universe's characters and the mirror universe's characters would count towards their respective totals.
Also, who's dialog counted as Kirk in Turnabout Intruder? Did you follow Kirk's being when it was inside Lester, or count Kirk's physical being throughout that episode?
Kinda fun subject, actually.
And proof-positive that one can always find something useful to do with one's time!

ME

Last edited by CaptPapa; April 2 2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: additional thought . . .
CaptPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:06 PM   #18
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
Out of curiosity, where did Cullah come in?
He was down near 170. I don't have specifics for characters beyond the low 100s.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:26 PM   #19
Ryan8bit
Commodore

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
A question or two . . . since you counted the two (ooops, one) new movies' alternate universe dialog, did you count the dialog from Mirror, Mirror? And if so, I guess both our universe's characters and the mirror universe's characters would count towards their respective totals.
Also, who's dialog counted as Kirk in Turnabout Intruder? Did you follow Kirk's being when it was inside Lester, or count Kirk's physical being throughout that episode?
Kinda fun subject, actually.
The mirror stuff was a little bit tricky. I think by nature, some of them were included because it was limited by how the transcripts were written. For instance, in DS9's "Crossover," the mirror Garak is simply referred to as GARAK, with no hint of being alternate. However, alternate Kira is listed as INTENDANT, so those lines weren't counted (which I should possibly amend, as it would likely put her above Bashir). I do believe I counted a lot of the KIRK2 and SPOCK2 under the main character's totals.

I did do a fair amount of scouring to make sure that common names weren't duplicates, but I didn't check every single episode that had the possibility of alternates or body possession, just the ones I could think of off the top of my head for the most popular characters. So I definitely caught both Kirks from "The Enemy Within," but it looks like in "Turnabout intruder" the dialog was just attributed to the body in question. This probably is the case for most other episodes of bodily possession, with the exception of Voyager's "Vis a Vis" where it was noted who Steth was portraying, in which case those were not counted.

These kinds of variables are why the list isn't any kind of absolute, but just a general picture. I wasn't intending to comb through every episode and possibility, but just to create a program that could quickly sift through it all to help give that picture.
Old April 3 2014, 06:50 PM   #20
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

What a great thing! This is so interesting Thanks for doing it.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 11:29 PM   #21
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I can't figure how Mayweather is above Sulu and Chekov. Besides "Aye Captain" and "Yes sir", I barely remember him saying much of anything.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 11:38 PM   #22
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

You can say the same for Sulu and Chekov though.

I'd like to see this same thing done for The Simpsons. It'd clearly be:
1. Homer
2. Bart
3. Lisa
4. Marge

But everything after that would be very interesting. It'd probably guess Flanders or Mr Burns for #5. Maybe Skinner.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 11:41 PM   #23
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I would put Lisa above Bart.
Old April 4 2014, 04:51 AM   #24
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

In terms of lines of dialog? Lisa might be my favorite because she takes the Captain Picard role in the show, but Bart gets to talk more.

If I were to guess the top ten non-Simpson last name characters it'd be:
1. Ned Flanders
2. Monty Burns
3. Milhouse Van Houten
4. Moe Sizzlak
5. Seymour Skinner
6. Edna Krabapple
7. Wayland Smithers
8. Comic Book Guy
9. Krusty
10. Nelson Muntz

I really wonder if anybody has ever done this.

It's interesting to see a count of exactly how much love the Star Trek characters got from the writers. It really tells just how 'ensemble' each show really is, and how big a role each character took in the plot. For all the jokes about Chakotay he ended up pretty hih on the list.
Old April 4 2014, 08:03 AM   #25
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I went by word count because lines could range from "Aye, sir" to a speech about gazelles.
No one would actually have one of those though, would they?

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 04:20 PM   #26
Ryan8bit
Commodore

bbjeg wrote: View Post
I can't figure how Mayweather is above Sulu and Chekov. Besides "Aye Captain" and "Yes sir", I barely remember him saying much of anything.
Well, he had one or two episodes devoted largely to him, which is more than those others got. Yeah, Chekov and Sulu got more in some of the movies, but still not enough I guess. They probably got as much to say in the movies as Mayweather got in season 4.

I was expecting Travis to be down at the bottom for main cast too, but that turned out to be Tasha. That's understandable because she only had a little less than a season.

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I'd like to see this same thing done for The Simpsons.
That would certainly be interesting. And it would probably be a lot easier to compile given that there wouldn't be as many questionable duplicates of characters (alternate universe, transporter clones, possessed bodies). I looked briefly to see what sites would have transcripts, but most seem to be incomplete, otherwise I'd probably take a crack at it.
Old April 4 2014, 07:56 PM   #27
mythme
Commodore

Surprised Worf isn't in the top ten with his amount of screen time. Also surprised that Chakotay is as high as he is
Old April 4 2014, 08:42 PM   #28
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Very, very interesting. Can this program also count words/lines for single characters?

Could be fun to see how many times:

- Bones said "He's dead (Jim)"
- Picard said "Engage"
- Uhura said "Hailing frequencies open"
- Scotty said "She can't take much more!"
- Harry said "Can't get a lock"
- The word "interference" was (mis)used.

and more hilarious one-liners.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 09:15 PM   #29
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^How many times the word "Dammit" was said.
Old April 4 2014, 11:11 PM   #30
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I'd like to see this same thing done for The Simpsons.
That would certainly be interesting. And it would probably be a lot easier to compile given that there wouldn't be as many questionable duplicates of characters (alternate universe, transporter clones, possessed bodies).
Halloween episodes notwithstanding.

I think the reason Worf isn't higher is that he's just not a very talkative character. Most of his lines are short and to the point. Just like Bashir ranks really high because he's extremely talkative.

How would lines per episode shake out? I'm thinking Kirk then Q.