RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,362
Posts: 5,355,747
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 510
Newest member: glmrkills

TrekToday headlines

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 23 2014, 09:47 PM   #1
varek
Commander
 
varek's Avatar
 
Location: Danville, IN, USA
hope in the darkness

I was just listening to Loreena McKennitt's 2006 album Nights From The Alhambra, and the closing lines in her beautiful song "Dante's Prayer" seemed so appropriate to the closing of the Star Trek Homepage website:

"When the dark night seems endless,
Please remember me."

I hope that all of us here can take inspiration from all of our likeminded friends at this website, knowing that they love, respect and perhaps even admire us. That way, none of us should feel alone in the dark.
__________________
Varek, Vulcan Engineer
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
Time, like latinum, is a limited commodity.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 10:41 AM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: hope in the darkness

startrek.com has been an interesting mix. On one hand, being "official," one would've expected it to be the template for Fan Sites to follow. This has never been the case.

As the network did with The Original Series, the powers that be over at that site kept doing everything it could to sabatage its own success. For example, the persistant "bugs," "gremlins" and so forth. For another, it routinely "banned," or denied access to fans whom others got along with, either out of "mistaken identity" or some other subjective reason. And finally, the introduction of CAPTCHA, to curb trolls, whilst not actively having to police their own site.

Also, the look of startrek.com was really cheap and lame. Perhaps STAR TREK's Official FaceBook site was more important to them, I really can't answer that. But the site's closing was always rumoured, for these and many other reasons. There were some fun posters on the site and I was fortunate to "know" many of them. None of what made the site unwelcoming ever had to be. That's the real "tragedy" of it. Those running startrek.com always had the power to change things, to improve the site in a meaningful way and ... they didn't. They just didn't. That's the way it goes ...
__________________
― It Takes Two.™
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Vandervecken
Commander
 
Vandervecken's Avatar
 
Location: Kobold
Re: hope in the darkness

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
startrek.com has been an interesting mix. On one hand, being "official," one would've expected it to be the template for Fan Sites to follow. This has never been the case.

As the network did with The Original Series, the powers that be over at that site kept doing everything it could to sabatage its own success. For example, the persistant "bugs," "gremlins" and so forth. For another, it routinely "banned," or denied access to fans whom others got along with, either out of "mistaken identity" or some other subjective reason. And finally, the introduction of CAPTCHA, to curb trolls, whilst not actively having to police their own site.

Also, the look of startrek.com was really cheap and lame. Perhaps STAR TREK's Official FaceBook site was more important to them, I really can't answer that. But the site's closing was always rumoured, for these and many other reasons. There were some fun posters on the site and I was fortunate to "know" many of them. None of what made the site unwelcoming ever had to be. That's the real "tragedy" of it. Those running startrek.com always had the power to change things, to improve the site in a meaningful way and ... they didn't. They just didn't. That's the way it goes ...
Mainly, for me, who the hell wants to watch Trek episodes with all those commercials (same at CBS.com)? No way.
__________________
Bad craziness.

Last edited by Vandervecken; April 25 2014 at 09:10 PM.
Vandervecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: hope in the darkness

Yeah, I watched VOY: Relativity over there last week, and the ads reminded me why I started building a home video library in the 80s.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 01:09 AM   #5
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: hope in the darkness

What the whole thing is closing?? I thought it was only the forums that were closing!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 01:21 AM   #6
Finn
Vice Admiral
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Location: In the MetroWest
Re: hope in the darkness

^i thought it closed about 6 years ago
Finn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 01:30 AM   #7
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: hope in the darkness

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
startrek.com has been an interesting mix. On one hand, being "official," one would've expected it to be the template for Fan Sites to follow. This has never been the case.
In my experience "official" forums are usually plagued by problems. They are not a labor of love and the overseeing is driven by the need for the brand to look good, so the censorship is random and overkill.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 10:09 AM   #8
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: hope in the darkness

I don't think I ever went on the official Trek forums. My only memory relating to them is this guy, who is probably devastated.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: hope in the darkness

Reach out in the darkness, people

__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 09:40 AM   #10
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: hope in the darkness

teacake wrote: View Post
In my experience "official" forums are usually plagued by problems. They are not a labor of love and the overseeing is driven by the need for the brand to look good, so the censorship is random and overkill.
The one thing I've noticed too, is that Official Sites have media that is very tame and rarely as interesting as what Fan Sites put up. Why that is, I never uderstood, because you'd think they'd be very concerned about looking cool. It probably has to do with just not wanting to pay royalties - and that's crazy. In any event, who the hell else is buying from startrek.com's "store" if not people who are visiting regularly to post on it. Everything in their kiosk is absurdly overpriced, compared even to amazon.com, or some shit. Ah, if only they'd moved over and let 2takesfrakes take over ... it would've been glorious!

__________________
― It Takes Two.™
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.