Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 22 2014, 10:28 PM   #1
balls
Commander

Parallels question

Sorry if this was asked before
When the correct enterprise realizes they have the wrong quantum signature worf they make contact with the ship that has the correct shuttle. When talking to the riker of that ship there is a worf behind him. I don't recall seeing anything about returning that worf back to his correct quantum ship. And troi says goodbye to "our" worf and she thinks (my assumption) that she won't have a husband when this is done. Shouldn't they have tried to get both worfs back to the correct place? Did I miss something?
Thanks

"Be thankful you're alive...there's a lot of people that aren't."
balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Parallels question

balls wrote: View Post
Sorry if this was asked before
When the correct enterprise realizes they have the wrong quantum signature worf they make contact with the ship that has the correct shuttle. When talking to the riker of that ship there is a worf behind him. I don't recall seeing anything about returning that worf back to his correct quantum ship. And troi says goodbye to "our" worf and she thinks (my assumption) that she won't have a husband when this is done. Shouldn't they have tried to get both worfs back to the correct place? Did I miss something?
Thanks
The theory is that when the Worf of our universe returned to this reality that every other Worf would return to its proper universe automatically. It's not surprising that Troi believed otherwise, as she was always depicted as something of an idiot.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I always assumed that when our Worf entered any given universe, he only "temporarily" replaced the Worf that was supposed to be there, and that universe's Worf automatically returned to his proper place when ours left it.

Meaning: At any given time, there are only two Worfs that are in universes not their own: ours, and the Worf of the universe he's currently in.

(The reason I think this is: our Worf is 'in flux' due to his unstable genetic makeup - due to his travel through the anomaly - and that's why he's constantly universe-hopping. The other Worfs don't have this problem and thus would be automatically returned home after our Worf displaced them.)

Then again, there's that weird scene towards the end with the shuttlecraft with a dozen or more Worfs in it. I can't explain that bit.
Old March 24 2014, 09:48 PM   #4
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

That scene was awesome!

The only thing missin' was a blue-uniformed Worf. And it would have been cool to work a DS9 style uniform in there, too.
Old March 25 2014, 12:47 AM   #5
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Then again, there's that weird scene towards the end with the shuttlecraft with a dozen or more Worfs in it. I can't explain that bit.
I've always thought of that as a sort of space-time junction point where Worf temporarily intersects with versions of himself from other quantum realities before the fissure is closed and each Worf returns to where he's supposed to be.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 02:30 AM   #6
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

^ But our Worf is the only one making the shuttle trip. He should have been the only one in that scene. It's not like there were dozens of Worfs who all had to make shuttle runs at the same time - just ours.
Old March 25 2014, 03:16 AM   #7
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Our Worf had different "level" trophies in all the realities he was in.

I always assumed many or all Worfs had just returned from the tournament.

That was probably the only real parallel.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 03:59 AM   #8
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
But as far as we know, only one Worf - ours - flew his shuttlecraft through the anomaly, thus causing this whole kerfuffle.
Old March 25 2014, 06:08 AM   #9
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
But as far as we know, only one Worf - ours - flew his shuttlecraft through the anomaly, thus causing this whole kerfuffle.
It's also possible all the Worfs flew through the anomaly, but only our Worf was affected by it.
Old March 25 2014, 07:21 AM   #10
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

Perhaps today IS a good day to experience QqaAh'HHh t'om FfluhxX!!!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 01:03 PM   #11
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Maybe only one Worf needed to fly through the anomaly, but I got the impression many Worfs were in shuttles, returning from the tourney.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 03:55 PM   #12
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The shuttle trip also took him back in time to his return from the tournament.

Obviously more than one Worf went to the tournament - that was established in the episode's alternate realities. So, Worf Prime gets the shuttle, he goes through the anomaly, and intersects with every other Worf returnin' from the tournament before the anomaly shuts down.
Old March 25 2014, 08:47 PM   #13
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

But the tournament was days ago, wasn't it? Or are you suggesting that the tournament took place at different times in different realities? (In an infinite multiverse, though, I'm sure it did.)
Old March 25 2014, 09:13 PM   #14
Vandervecken
Commander

I love this episode, it's a great episode, but the idea of infinite realities.has always been a foolish one to me, and I'm a Larry Niven fan (All the Myriad Ways). You'd need a new universe created, not just for every choice or outcome in every sentient person's life, but for every single physical event in the universe that could have gone another way, up to and including every single subatomic interaction. In the whole universe. At every "moment," whatever the smallest definable moment would be. Where in HELL could all those universes exist? And where did the energy come from to create all those universes?

No way.

GREAT episode, though. Just gotta suspend disbelief.
Old March 25 2014, 09:20 PM   #15
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
I love this episode, it's a great episode, but the idea of infinite realities.has always been a foolish one to me, and I'm a Larry Niven fan (All the Myriad Ways). You'd need a new universe created, not just for every choice or outcome in every sentient person's life, but for every single physical event in the universe that could have gone another way, up to and including every single subatomic interaction. In the whole universe. At every "moment," whatever the smallest definable moment would be. Where in HELL could all those universes exist? And where did the energy come from to create all those universes?
I interpret things this way: Our choices don't literally create alternate universes. They already existed, and always did.

For instance, let's say you wake up in the morning and decide among four different sweaters to wear for the day. By doing this, you don't literally create four different universes springing off from that point. They already existed, but up until you made the decision, all four were identical. Same story here, really.