Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 30 2014, 12:48 PM   #16
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: The Lights of Zetar

OMG WURST EPASODE EVAR. Scotty acts TOTALLY unprofessionally with his girlfriend, a Starfleet officer would NEVER EVER do that while on duty, NEVER.

(seriously, I remember thinking that crackling noise whats-her-name made when possessed was creepy)
Old March 30 2014, 01:21 PM   #17
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
OMG WURST EPASODE EVAR. Scotty acts TOTALLY unprofessionally with his girlfriend, a Starfleet officer would NEVER EVER do that while on duty, NEVER.

(seriously, I remember thinking that crackling noise whats-her-name made when possessed was creepy)
Not the best and not the worst, but worth watching again...
evangelist6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 02:34 PM   #18
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

I wonder if this episode gave Fred Freiberger the idea to zoom in on the eye whenever Maya transformed into something stupid in Space:1999?

I agree with Zap, the use of WNMHGB music here is fantastic. That, coupled with some of the more cold third season library cues, helps to make this episode very chilling. Watch this one at 2 am and the feel is totally different. Jan Shutan had a unique face that was very spooky when under the Zetarian influence. One of the many third season episodes that freaked me out as a kid. Especially the shadowed shots of the Memory Alpha corpses.
Old March 30 2014, 03:23 PM   #19
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Well, Kevin Reilly was pretty unprofessional in Conscience of the King...crewman Compton was pretty unprofessional in Wink of an Eye (though he did try to redeem himself in the end)...Marla McGivers, too...though she was certifiably nuts anyway, in my opinion.

You've never known a guy to get all goofy where a woman is concerned?

I'm not saying The Lights of Zetar is a classic in the annals of science fiction, but it's enjoyably moody and has some good moments.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 04:50 PM   #20
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I really like the actress playing Scotty's crush. She's really cute and seems sweet, especially with how she's too nice to hurt Scotty's feelings enough to give him the "Just Friends" speech. I'm also kind of fascinated by her make-up, when the camera zooms in, really tight, over her eyeball. The psychodellic effects, distorted facial expressions and odd vocalizations are sometimes laughable. But as usual, the sincerity of the performances find me being swayed. And we get to know her enough where we care if she gets saved at the end. I can't help but to genuinely enjoy this episode - almost despite myself, really.
Old March 30 2014, 06:14 PM   #21
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Not a great episode but not awful either. The constant reference to Mira as a girl grates on the modern ear though.
Old March 30 2014, 06:18 PM   #22
scotpens
Vice Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
You've never known a guy to get all goofy where a woman is concerned?
I've never known it to fail. Some big hard-boiled egg gets a look at a pretty face and bang, he cracks up and goes sappy!
Old March 30 2014, 08:43 PM   #23
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Not a great episode but not awful either. The constant reference to Mira as a girl grates on the modern ear though.
By the 23rd century, they've "learned not to fear words", something we would do well to do today. (though I do see your point)

scotpens wrote: View Post
I've never known it to fail. Some big hard-boiled egg gets a look at a pretty face and bang, he cracks up and goes sappy!
Indeed, I remember seeing one of our old high school 'tough guys' some years later in a store, carrying a big bouquet of flowers.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 01:26 PM   #24
Forbin
Admiral

GOD yes! "What about the girl?" "How will this affect the girl?"

JEEZ! No wonder women's lib hit hard a few years later!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 05:27 PM   #25
scotpens
Vice Admiral

In "Is There In Truth No Beauty?", it seemed a bit jarring even back in 1968 when both Kirk and McCoy referred to Miranda Jones as a "girl." She's clearly a grown woman!

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
Indeed, I remember seeing one of our old high school 'tough guys' some years later in a store, carrying a big bouquet of flowers.
I could post a link to the title song from Guys and Dolls, but I think one movie reference per thread is enough.
Old March 31 2014, 06:22 PM   #26
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Though the Zetarians' mental level ''matched'' if not exceeded the g----ah, Mira Romaine's mind, and McCoy told Kirk she was ''losing'', that's not to say she was dying, correct? The Zetarians tended to kill those who resisted or couldn't adapt, so I'm assuming they needed her alive as long as possible, including keeping her brain bouncing around in some limited capacity?
Old March 31 2014, 06:36 PM   #27
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
GOD yes! "What about the girl?" "How will this affect the girl?"
It gets even worse when the aliens say "We only want the girl." If anyone should have referred to her as a woman or a female it was them.
Old March 31 2014, 06:59 PM   #28
foxhot
Fleet Captain

All we are told of the Zetarians is that they number 100, and they're over 1000 years old. It's not established that they were ever humanoid. How they acheived light-status is pretty much glossed over as well. They didn't want to die, so they didn't. Convenient for them....
Old March 31 2014, 07:30 PM   #29
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

There’s a “WOW!” moment – or an intended one – when Spock answer’s Kirk’s question with: “Not what it is, Captain. What are they.” Bah-bah-baaah!

Obviously this is the big moment when Spock tells us they are life forms, but all he really did was tell us there’s a number of “things.” I always felt the line should have been “not what is it, Captain. WHO are THEY.” A very minor nitpick, but it always jumps out at me. Meh, I just wanted to contribute...
Old April 1 2014, 01:40 AM   #30
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

The new main screen graphic was a welcome addition.