A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 25 2014, 04:39 AM   #1
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

That Which Survives

Just was watching this one tonight and a previous episode was mentioned but I can't recall it. Was it the Devil in the Dark episode from season 1? Also the person filling in for McCoy in Sick Bay was he the same man from a season 2 episode about a computer that controls the enterprise? Bare with me as most episodes I have seen only once. After I finish season 3 I will go back and re-watch certain episodes. What would be your picks? I have a number of them from season 1 including the episode with the same machine from "whom gods destroy" and some from season 2 including Bread and Circuses, and the episode where Kirk and Spock are transported to a planet to investigate the disappearance of a historian.
evangelist6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 04:47 AM   #2
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Re: That Which Survives

Hi there, evangelist6589! You're in for a good time!

Yes, in That Which Survives, Sulu references the silicon creature of Janus VI from The Devil In the Dark (good catch for a new viewer!). And Dr. M'Benga, filling in for McCoy, was In the episode A Private Little War. He's presented as an expert on Vulcan physiology. Too bad he only appeared twice, as he just oozed with character.

It's impossible to recommend any episodes, as everyone's tastes and interests vary. But like I said, you're in for a good time whatever you decide to do!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 05:23 AM   #3
Wingsley
Commodore

evangelist6589 wrote: View Post
Just was watching this one tonight and a previous episode was mentioned but I can't recall it. Was it the Devil in the Dark episode from season 1? Also the person filling in for McCoy in Sick Bay was he the same man from a season 2 episode about a computer that controls the enterprise? Bare with me as most episodes I have seen only once. After I finish season 3 I will go back and re-watch certain episodes. What would be your picks? I have a number of them from season 1 including the episode with the same machine from "whom gods destroy" and some from season 2 including Bread and Circuses, and the episode where Kirk and Spock are transported to a planet to investigate the disappearance of a historian.
The episode in which the Starship Enterprise conducts test maneuvers and war games while being piloted by the M-5 computer was Year 2's "The Ultimate Computer". In it, William Marshall played M-5 creator Dr. Richard Daystrom. Marshall did not play any other parts in TOS.

Booker Bradshaw portrayed Dr. M'Benga in Year 2's "A Private Little War" and Year 3's "That Which Survives".

"Devil in the Dark" is very much a Year 1 episode. It has a strong TWILIGHT ZONE vibe, as several Year 1 stories were written that way as TOS' identity was still being forged.

The missing historian was probably John Gill in Year 2's "Patterns of Force" (sometimes derisively referred to as "Planet of the Nazis").
Old March 25 2014, 06:03 AM   #4
Melakon
Vice Admiral

DeForest Kelley used to joke at conventions that M'Benga was brought in whenever his contract was coming up for renewal.
Old March 25 2014, 03:26 PM   #5
GeorgeKirk
Commodore

View GeorgeKirk's Twitter Profile

A lot of people don't like "That Which Survives" but I've always found it to be a fun little outing. Losira's disappearing effect (and the accompanying musical sound effect) is still cool even after all these years.
Old March 25 2014, 04:38 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

GeorgeKirk wrote: View Post
A lot of people don't like "That Which Survives" but I've always found it to be a fun little outing. Losira's disappearing effect (and the accompanying musical sound effect) is still cool even after all these years.
+1.

Another fan of "That Which Survives" here.
Old March 25 2014, 05:19 PM   #7
CrazyMatt
Commander

Lee Meriwether is really the only reason to watch this episode.
Old March 25 2014, 06:07 PM   #8
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I just love this episode, some of the dialogues are really funny and it's a nice example that you shouldn't take the series or this episode too serious (well, look who's talking ).
How Spock is criticizing everyone for being too vague and not precise enough - wonderful!

Of course, sorry guys, you haven't experienced the comedic potential of this episode unless you watched it in the original German version, titled "Dangerous Planet Girls" (to paraphrase the Klingons from ST VI-TUC).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 06:19 PM   #9
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Yeah, and it is good to see the landing party able to react while in the beaming process. Sulu getting something else to do was a treat,
Old March 25 2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Wingsley
Commodore

(RE: "That Which Survives") If you listen closely to the audio when Sulu first discovers Losira, you can hear the flooring of the soundset creak slightly as they walk on it.

It was also good to see a woman at the helm of the Enterprise (a speaking role, no less!) for once during the series.

The story seemed cobbled-together, but still a fun (though guilty) pleasure. I would be interesting if TOS had been even somewhat semi-serialized, and this discovery had been the first chapter of a broader story arc where they find remains of long-dead civilizations that got caught up in some cosmic design. I understand there was at least one novel about the subject.

The only really embarrassing scene in the whole show was when Losira has her first confrontation with Kirk, "Are there men on this planet?" And I love how Losira seems to blush at Kirk when he asks "Are you lonely?" Very a propos.

Neat how Losira identifies the ill-fated Watkins as an "Engineer, Grade Four", another of the few very vague references to enlisted personnel serving in Starfleet. It's cheesy, but I love that scene, and how Scott reacts, running in that Integrator Room, then expresses concern for his engineer, then he wires-in to Spock and the whole ship is on alert in a matter of seconds. And the whole thing is wrapped up with a beau, complete with a musical score from Rigel VII (or the disappearing bum scene, if you prefer).
Old March 26 2014, 04:53 AM   #11
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

Wingsley wrote: View Post
The episode in which the Starship Enterprise conducts test maneuvers and war games while being piloted by the M-5 computer was Year 2's "The Ultimate Computer". In it, William Marshall played M-5 creator Dr. Richard Daystrom. Marshall did not play any other parts in TOS.

Booker Bradshaw portrayed Dr. M'Benga in Year 2's "A Private Little War" and Year 3's "That Which Survives".

"Devil in the Dark" is very much a Year 1 episode. It has a strong TWILIGHT ZONE vibe, as several Year 1 stories were written that way as TOS' identity was still being forged.

The missing historian was probably John Gill in Year 2's "Patterns of Force" (sometimes derisively referred to as "Planet of the Nazis").
Thanks you nailed it. You know allot about Trek. I bet you hate the newer non TOS Trek as I do. I love the original series. Grew up watching it as a kid in the 80's.
Old March 26 2014, 04:55 AM   #12
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

Melakon wrote: View Post
DeForest Kelley used to joke at conventions that M'Benga was brought in whenever his contract was coming up for renewal.
You like the Stooges also? I love them as well. They have their own SCI-FI episodes from the later years. Which one is your favorite? Have Rocket Will Travel? Or one of the episodes with Joe?
Old March 26 2014, 04:58 AM   #13
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

Yeah, and it is good to see the landing party able to react while in the beaming process. Sulu getting something else to do was a treat,
It may also appear that the set was used in more than one episode. Perhaps one episode was Spock's Brain, and another was a certain episode from season 1 where the crew lands on a planet and meets those Giant Ape like creatures and Spock goes wild trying to use his logic. That was a CLASSIC episode as most in Season 1 where.
Old March 26 2014, 05:11 AM   #14
Melakon
Vice Admiral

You like the Stooges also? I love them as well. They have their own SCI-FI episodes from the later years. Which one is your favorite? Have Rocket Will Travel? Or one of the episodes with Joe?
I'm primarily a Curly Howard fan when it comes to the Stooges. I've had several books about them, but the only ones I have now are the Three Stooges Scrapbook and Book of Scripts Volume 2. Lately I've been watching "Hoi Polloi" a lot. Curly is even more hilarious if you're under the influence of a controlled substance.

I can handle Shemp in small doses, but was never a Joe Besser fan, and not much for Joe De Rita either. Though I did see the boys in person around 1961 when they appeared with the St. Louis Police Circus. I always liked Moe, and Larry was probably the best actor in the bunch with all the reacting he had to do.

Regarding "That Which Survives", my favorite moment is probably the rocking planet set.
Old March 26 2014, 07:49 AM   #15
Push The Button
Captain

Spock was a bit of a jerk in this episode, but Scotty was on his game, as always, working in that horizontal Jefferies tube with his sonic screwdriver.

Weirdest Sulu line ever: "Get back, I don't want to have to kill a woman!"
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote