RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 146,939
Posts: 5,797,070
Members: 26,052
Currently online: 447
Newest member: raceystean

TrekToday headlines

Shatner Show Coming To Australia
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Wigs
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Pegg: No Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Stewart Snotbot Support
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Ryan Joins Arrow
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Retro Review: Jetrel
By: Michelle on Jul 24

New ThinkGeek Trek-Themed Products
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Star Trek The Cabin
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Bikel Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 1 2014, 01:47 AM   #1
varek
Commander
 
varek's Avatar
 
Location: Danville, IN, USA
olympic-class ship design and purpose

The Olympic-class ship OF THE 2370s looked like the earlier Daedalus-class ship, with its spherical primary hull section. As such, it could signal its status as a noncombatant, hospital ship, so it would not be attacked.

The USS Pasteur was an example of this class of starship.

I think it is cool to use such a unique design for specific purposes.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Olympic_class

I think the Nova-class ship was designed specifically for scientific exploration, rather than as an escort, along these same lines.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nova_class
__________________
Varek, Vulcan Engineer
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
Time, like latinum, is a limited commodity.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 03:14 AM   #2
mythme
Commodore
 
mythme's Avatar
 
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA, USA
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

is there a question in there?

The spherical primary hull of the Olympic would lend itself to maximum space for patient rooms, medical facilities, triage and evacuation situations.
__________________
"Be a pawn. Be a toy. Be a good soldier who never questions orders." Kirk to Kang - "Day of the Dove"
mythme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 04:15 AM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

The Olympic-class could be just a transport ship, with the Pasteur optimized to be a medical one. Other Olympic-class ships could be utilized as standard personnel and cargo carriers, IMO.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

Or the sphere hull might be the cheapest to manufacture. Spheres are nice and voluminous, but curvature always reduces headroom. So for a ship intended to house people or stackable random cargo ought to be a box, like the holoship of ST:INS or the Jenolan. Or at least a pillbox of some sort, that is, a saucer. But a sphere consumes the least metal per cubic meter.

Perhaps Starfleet builds spheres when there are no requirements placed on the ship, and these generic ships then get assigned funny secondary roles. Say, modern USN hospital ships are ex-tankers...

It would help if we knew what drove Starfleet to design the Daedalus. The design is clearly old, judging by the registry of Sisko's desktop model, but canonically we don't know if it was created for the Romulan war - or before it or otherwise not for fighting. Perhaps the Daedalus was a purpose-built hospital ship, and after the war those weren't needed, so they were sent to explore...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Kevman7987
Captain
 
Kevman7987's Avatar
 
Location: Erie, PA, USA
View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

Timo wrote: View Post
Or the sphere hull might be the cheapest to manufacture. Spheres are nice and voluminous, but curvature always reduces headroom. So for a ship intended to house people or stackable random cargo ought to be a box, like the holoship of ST:INS or the Jenolan. Or at least a pillbox of some sort, that is, a saucer. But a sphere consumes the least metal per cubic meter.

Perhaps Starfleet builds spheres when there are no requirements placed on the ship, and these generic ships then get assigned funny secondary roles. Say, modern USN hospital ships are ex-tankers...

It would help if we knew what drove Starfleet to design the Daedalus. The design is clearly old, judging by the registry of Sisko's desktop model, but canonically we don't know if it was created for the Romulan war - or before it or otherwise not for fighting. Perhaps the Daedalus was a purpose-built hospital ship, and after the war those weren't needed, so they were sent to explore...

Timo Saloniemi
In the Enterprise series finale, there was a reference to new warp 7 ships. When I heard that, I just assumed the writers meant the Daedalus class. In that case it would be Starfleet's post-Romulan War explorer.
__________________
"Don't do it, Meat!"
"Don't do it, Cheese!"
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

Timo wrote: View Post
Or the sphere hull might be the cheapest to manufacture. Spheres are nice and voluminous, but curvature always reduces headroom.
Which shouldn't be an issue once there is a patient's bed below the reduced-headroom area.

Timo wrote: View Post
But a sphere consumes the least metal per cubic meter.
I was taught that a sphere gives you the most internal volume for the least exterior surface.

Actually I could imagine that the sphere is a section that could be placed as a satellite into an orbit, like an orbital hospital, while the stardrive section leaves and picks up another "cargo" or an additional "hospital".

That would, of course, bring up the question whether the main bridge was located within the sphere or the stardrive section.

Considering that previously seen sickbay sections on starships were circular in nature the sphere looks like a nice echo that rejects the traditional saucer.

Timo wrote: View Post
It would help if we knew what drove Starfleet to design the Daedalus. The design is clearly old, judging by the registry of Sisko's desktop model.
Supposedly, it's the design of starships like the Archon, the Essex and the Horizon.

Now, according to the opening dialogue in "A Piece of the Action" the Horizon "landed" on Sigma Iotia. I find it myself hard to believe that the whole ship landed, but possibly the spherical section was already detachable, then, and could land on her own.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 05:54 PM   #7
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: UK
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

With a spherical hull, the wedge shaped gaps between the actual hull and a more blocky interior room shape would be ideal for putting conduits,, power systems, air-con/life support, sewage systems etc, and since a ship needs these areas anyway, it could still be an efficient design.
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

...It just wouldn't be the most efficient design imaginable, not categorically so; the spherical shape would be no more advantageous than any other. It's just one possibility among many, and the maintenance personnel would appreciate the headroom of boxy solutions in the machine spaces, too.

I have some difficulty believing the Daedalus as depicted can even achieve warp seven, let alone her being the leading explorer to follow the Enterprise class. This ship appears very small, and could be more like the Oberth of the day than the Constitution or the Galaxy.

A detachable sphere is an intriguing possibility with the Daedalus, considering the slenderness of her neck; separation would be somewhat less obvious for the more sturdily mounted Olympic sphere. Whether the Horizon a) landed or b) was of the design seen on Sisko's table remains somewhat unclear, but I could see the sphere landing in emergency conditions only, as it mounts no visible propulsion systems and invisible ones aren't all that common in Trek.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2014, 08:05 PM   #9
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

varek wrote: View Post
As such, it could signal its status as a noncombatant, hospital ship, so it would not be attacked.
That is a human rule during combat, one not likely upheld by other races--Odo stated that the Klingons didn't give special consideration to doctors.

The design would give the Olympic-Class a lot of usable internal space, pretty essential for a hospital ship. Besides, despite her function, she is armed, in AGT Worf said that the Pasteur's weapons weren't effective against the Klingon battlecruiser's shields.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 12:02 AM   #10
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

A sphere is really good at being efficient at volume to surface ratio. It's not really great when laying out decks. You end up with a lot of half height decks and sloped ceilings. So, it's not really good for creating a ship with lots of habitable space. Unless of course, you use a really large sphere which would minimize the amount of wasted deck space.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 01:37 AM   #11
varek
Commander
 
varek's Avatar
 
Location: Danville, IN, USA
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

Timo wrote: View Post
...It just wouldn't be the most efficient design imaginable, not categorically so; the spherical shape would be no more advantageous than any other. It's just one possibility among many, and the maintenance personnel would appreciate the headroom of boxy solutions in the machine spaces, too.

I have some difficulty believing the Daedalus as depicted can even achieve warp seven, let alone her being the leading explorer to follow the Enterprise class. This ship appears very small, and could be more like the Oberth of the day than the Constitution or the Galaxy.

A detachable sphere is an intriguing possibility with the Daedalus, considering the slenderness of her neck; separation would be somewhat less obvious for the more sturdily mounted Olympic sphere. Whether the Horizon a) landed or b) was of the design seen on Sisko's table remains somewhat unclear, but I could see the sphere landing in emergency conditions only, as it mounts no visible propulsion systems and invisible ones aren't all that common in Trek.

Timo Saloniemi
I don't think the shape of the ship is really important, since it travels inside the warp bubble (as I understand it).
__________________
Varek, Vulcan Engineer
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
Time, like latinum, is a limited commodity.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 08:24 AM   #12
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

varek wrote: View Post
The Olympic-class ship OF THE 2370s looked like the earlier Daedalus-class ship, with its spherical primary hull section. As such, it could signal its status as a noncombatant, hospital ship, so it would not be attacked.

The USS Pasteur was an example of this class of starship.

I think it is cool to use such a unique design for specific purposes.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Olympic_class

I think the Nova-class ship was designed specifically for scientific exploration, rather than as an escort, along these same lines.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nova_class
I don't think the Olympic-class is designed as a hospital ship any more than the Daedalus-class was. I think what we saw was a generic starship (an update of the Daedalus layout in much the same way the Ambassador-class updates the Constitution or the Akira updates the NX-class layout) modified to serve as a floating hospital.

See also the USS Kelvin, whose Shuttle #37, the same external design as all the others, was modified as a medical/rescue shuttle.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 09:16 AM   #13
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

Timo wrote: View Post
Whether the Horizon a) landed or b) was of the design seen on Sisko's table remains somewhat unclear, but I could see the sphere landing in emergency conditions only.
From "A Piece of the Action":

KIRK: I'll explain it in more detail when I see him. The ship won't land, but we'll transport several people down. Well, that's a little difficult for you to understand, too. I'll explain it in more detail when I see you.

I think it stands to reason that Kirk knew the design of the Horizon and the Sigma Iotians had contact to its crew.

According to the dialogue it's rather obvious that Kirk anticipates Oxmyx to expect seeing a landing ship which is not going to happen (because the Horizon or its primary hull did land).

In general I notice the prejudice that primary hull-secondary hull separations only occur in emergency scenarios.

Already The Making of Star Trek made it clear, that saucer separation of the TOS Enterprise could occur in situations other than emergencies.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 09:19 AM   #14
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

Wait, wasn't the Horizon the cargo ship that Travis' family in Star Trek: Enterprise flew? Supposedly "the book" was an unseen set decoration in the episode.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 04:22 PM   #15
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: olympic-class ship design and purpose

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Wait, wasn't the Horizon the cargo ship that Travis' family in Star Trek: Enterprise flew? Supposedly "the book" was an unseen set decoration in the episode.
Mayweather's book was called "Chicago Gangs", the book in APOTA was "Chicago Mobs of the Twenties". For some reason the crews of the Horizons liked books on organized crime.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.