Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 29 2014, 09:37 PM   #31
Push The Button
Captain

Re: Where would be your favorite Star Trek Setting?

In a nice house, drinking some good tea.
--------
As much as I love the original 1701 Enterprise from TOS, I'd love to serve on the Enterprise-D. It always looked like a really comfortable, nice place to spend your off-duty hours. So sad that it was destroyed in Generations.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 09:52 PM   #32
Cyfa
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm finding it hard to choose between Earth Spacedock with its myriad of visiting starships and crews, and the Enterprise-D, specifically the unseen cavernous main shuttlebay and cetacean operations.

Can I have both? The Enterprise in spacedock?
Cyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 12:19 AM   #33
Drone
Commander

View Drone's Twitter Profile

Organia, from time to time, to see if we are yet deemed to be worthy of something close to peer to peer engagement!
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 11:30 AM   #34
2takesfrakes
Commodore

HIjol wrote: View Post
... Dr Malcolm?

One of my favorite actors, your avatar, and the writers give him my FAVorite quote of all time,

"Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."
There you go, you got it! That's it, exactly. They gave Jeff Goldblum all the great lines in Jurassic Park.

Had the lovely Ellie Sattler not already been committed to Alan Grant and set on him getting her pregnant, then I suspect that Ian Malcolm would've had a pretty good chance at getting with her. Another plus in his column. I loved how Alan was always getting his buttons pushed in this movie, but he never lost his cool.

But, yeah, when Ian told him - sincerely told him - "Boy, do I hate being right all the time," that's really when I felt the connect to the Dr. Malcolm character. Because, I recognized that dilemma, immediately and I can tell you, it's both a blessing and a curse.

And if the Enterprise-D ever wanted to set me down on la cinco muertes, or in Jurassic Park, that would be just fine, too ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 01:52 PM   #35
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Jeff Goldblum is great.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 02:30 PM   #36
HIjol
Fleet Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
... Dr Malcolm?

One of my favorite actors, your avatar, and the writers give him my FAVorite quote of all time,

"Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."
There you go, you got it! That's it, exactly. They gave Jeff Goldblum all the great lines in Jurassic Park.

Had the lovely Ellie Sattler not already been committed to Alan Grant and set on him getting her pregnant, then I suspect that Ian Malcolm would've had a pretty good chance at getting with her. Another plus in his column. I loved how Alan was always getting his buttons pushed in this movie, but he never lost his cool.

But, yeah, when Ian told him - sincerely told him - "Boy, do I hate being right all the time," that's really when I felt the connect to the Dr. Malcolm character. Because, I recognized that dilemma, immediately and I can tell you, it's both a blessing and a curse.

And if the Enterprise-D ever wanted to set me down on la cinco muertes, or in Jurassic Park, that would be just fine, too ...
Oh, boy and here we go! ...I had the exACT same experience when Rockhound said, "I hate it when I know everything" in Armageddon, and, as you have found out my friend, people THINK that want that, but it is a curse knowing everything...sure bet!

At the risk of busting this thread wide open, Jurassic Park has, perhaps, the finest ratio of "great cast capable of delivering superb lines/great lines for them to deliver"

Sorry, Mods, just one more paragraph, please...Two-Takes, at the risk of losing what is left of my Man-Card, tell me you still well up a little as Alan watches the Bronto, and then sees the herds, as the music swells...f*"ck...it gets no better than that! or Spock and Kirk in the Engine room, saying good-bye...Shat rips your heart out when he croaks, "Spock"...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 02:37 PM   #37
HIjol
Fleet Captain

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Jeff Goldblum is great.
Agreed!...BB, yours is knowledge I respect and admire, as I have said before...are you aware of any lost opportunities in the past of Jeff appearing on Star Trek?...upon reflection, with the right role, he could be a great addition...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Old March 30 2014, 04:06 PM   #38
2takesfrakes
Commodore

...Two-Takes, at the risk of losing what is left of my Man-Card, tell me you still well up a little as Alan watches the Bronto, and then sees the herds, as the music swells...f*"ck...it gets no better than that! or Spock and Kirk in the Engine room, saying good-bye...Shat rips your heart out when he croaks, "Spock"...
If Sherlock Holmes can be Spock's ancestor, then why can't Jurassic Park be an environment in STAR TREK, too?

To be honest with you, the one scene that really engages me in JP is when Muldoon's trying to pull a man being eaten out of a raptor's jaws and he's shouting, "Shoot her! SHOOT HER!!!".

Seeing Dr. Grant being impressed at what he's seeing does sell InGen's achievement. Having a dream come true is one thing Hollywood is best at presenting the illusion of. And as the story unfolds, JP does turn out to be a genetically mutated monster story, instead of a true dinosaur story. And considering there was no way to feather a CGI character back then, it's just as well.

Jurassic Park came out about ten years after STAR TREK II, yet both resonate, even today, with their influence over how movies are made. They are still referred to. They are still remembered. Despite their numerous flaws and shortcomings, that's just impressive as hell ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 11:50 PM   #39
Jedi_Master
Commodore

Great thread idea OP!

For me, a starship is THE best setting for a great Star Trek story. As proof, I offer Deep Space Nine. That show only started reaching its potential when the Defiant was introduced.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 02:39 AM   #40
DangerLRobinson
Ensign

Knowing me I would want to be in the Q continuum as a Q or with the wormhole aliens. The q continuum is probably very strange and bizarre. The wormhole aliens seem prophetic and euphoric. Two very interesting rides
DangerLRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 03:07 AM   #41
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I would like to see that warship from Voyager, that split into 3 parts, have it be like a Defiant ship for a Fixed Location, or Maybe a Galaxy Class patrolling Deep Space, with the War Ship being a Liason that we see frequently.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 10:38 AM   #42
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
Great thread idea OP!

For me, a starship is THE best setting for a great Star Trek story. As proof, I offer Deep Space Nine. That show only started reaching its potential when the Defiant was introduced.
Thank you, and a ship seems to be a running consensus...if only...if only...
Old April 1 2014, 12:26 AM   #43
Drone
Commander

View Drone's Twitter Profile

Utopia Planitia. Amidst all of the new, refurbished, and just plain repaired ships being worked on, one would have the opportunity to come in contact with a wide range of Star Fleet personnel, from fresh faced ensigns on their first assignments, to grizzled veterans awaiting a new and/or improved ride, to the legion of consumately skilled technicians who make it all happen!!
Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 03:45 PM   #44
Vandervecken
Commander

Heh. Angel One. I'd have no problem taking orders. Borg* me babes!

*Assimilate.
Old April 1 2014, 05:23 PM   #45
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^That episode had so much chest hair.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote