Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: Do you have a DVD player? Do you have a Bluray player?
Yes both 45 56.25%
only BLuRay 11 13.75%
only DVD 21 26.25%
neither 3 3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 27 2014, 06:18 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you have a BluRay player? Do you have a DVD player?

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
Blu-Ray is hardly a scam. You only have to look at the difference in quality of TNG on DVD and Blu-Ray to see that.
+1

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
But I dont have nor want BluRay. Seems like a scam and a waste.
What makes you think it's a scam and a waste?
Old March 27 2014, 06:51 PM   #17
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Neither -Although I do have an optical drive, that reads/writes DVDs, in my PC.

Oh; and I threw all of my VHS cassettes away some years ago
Old March 27 2014, 06:54 PM   #18
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I have both. Blu-ray players (which play DVDs too) hooked up to the widescreen in the living room and my bedroom, and DVD players on my laptop, desktop, in the other bedrooms, one in the car, and I have a portable one for the beach or park. Hell, we even have a working VCR for some of our old VHS tapes of home movies and stuff we taped off the TV.

The quality is noticeably better, the prices for both the players and Blu-ray discs are comparable to what DVDs were at their prime, they're backwards compatible so my DVD collection is still playable on them, and the format has been in widespread use for going on a decade now, so it's hardly a flash in the pan or a scam.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 07:02 PM   #19
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

My wife bought us a Blu-ray Disc player for Christmas, and holy shit the difference is incredible, even with our seven-year-old 720p plasma TV.

I mean, I thought upscaled DVDs looked nice enough, but my God, when a transfer is done well, it can be just utterly sublime.

The Ghostbusters Blu-ray is magnificent, as well -- just make sure to get the 4K release from last May, and not the 2009 Blu-ray (the color timing is shot to all hell on the 2009 release, it's just atrocious).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9334_1_large.jpg (97.1 KB, 20 views)
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 07:27 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

I have both a DVD player and a BR player as well as a DVR-DVD, and the only reason I still have the DVD player is that it's a region free one.

BR gives a superior picture quality to DVD, as for streaming. I can barely stream low quality SD never mind HD quality, same problem with downlading it would simply take to long to download.

There is room for streaming/downlading as well as physical media. Even if I could stream I would still by BR as I actually like owning the film.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 08:02 PM   #21
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I've no intention of upgrading many films if I already own them on DVD, but I won't buy new films on DVD now, unless thats the only release. I enjoy 3D so my BluRay is rather essential.
Old March 27 2014, 08:12 PM   #22
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I have two Blu-Ray players, but don't actually own any discs for them. I mostly use it as a device for NetFlix and playing DVDs. I don't really feel inclined to update the DVDs I have. The quality difference isn't that important to me.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 08:30 PM   #23
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I have a BluRay player, well my PS3 actually, hooked up to my living room TV as well as a standard DVD player. I've got some DVDs that struggle to worker properly on the PS3 (more due to the nature to the DVDs than a failure on the PS3's part.) No player hooked up to the bedroom TV.

I *do* have a VCR but it's in my closet and I only have out of... Well, I'm not sure why I have it. I don't have any video cassettes.
Old March 27 2014, 08:57 PM   #24
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Blu-ray is most definitely NOT a scam. Compared to DVD, the picture quality is almost night and day. TNG looks absolutely incredible in HD. It looks like it could've been filmed yesterday as opposed to 20+ years ago.

I still buy DVDs of things that I don't think are worth the upgrade, like older TV shows, and stuff originally shot on video which can't be remastered in HD, like, again, older TV shows.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 09:03 PM   #25
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I still have two DVD/VCR combos that I bought 8-9 years ago and are still going strong. Whenever those die I'll get blu ray players, but I'm just cheap enough not to upgrade anything until I have to. I might have a blu ray player on my computer, but I've never really checked. When I watch anything on my computer, I just stream Netflix.
Old March 27 2014, 09:09 PM   #26
farmkid
Commodore

A Blu-Ray player wouldn't do me much good since I have nothing I hook it up to. When my old TV dies and I get an HDTV, I'll probably go ahead and get one, but for now it would just sit somewhere collecting dust.
Old March 27 2014, 09:17 PM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

The question is does the OP stream/download in SD or HD?

There is nothing wrong with moving from physical media to OnDemand services. But that doesn't mean there isn't a market for physical based media nor is it a scam.

But the next question is why does the OP think blu-ray is a scam?

You are getting a superior product and are paying either the same or fractionally more.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 09:25 PM   #28
Shat Happens
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
But I dont have nor want BluRay. Seems like a scam and a waste.
What makes you think it's a scam and a waste?
Actually I hit "submit" before I was finished and could elaborate, glad someone asked. What I was thinking is how the industry phases out perfectly good technology in order to sell the same thing again (the so-called "planned obsolescence").

When DVD was launched, every new VHS tape came with a trailer advertising how everything would be more colorful, sharper, sound better and on DVD. The last DVDs I rented came with EXACTLY the same advertisement (non-skippable too, but that's another rant) about Blu-Ray. The only message I get is 10 years from now (or less) they will come with yet another new tech that really improves little and costs as if it was "the definitive" tech. (that's what I meant by "scam". That and the "remastered", "collector's", "director's" re-editions of the same content again and again; Star Wars is the champion in this field)

But they (it's always "them") seem to not even want to wait for tech to become old, to sell the same thing again. VHS lasted what, 25 years? alright, but DVD was the first digital, un-degradable media, and not 15 yrs passed before Blu-Ray came (and it would be sooner had not happened the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD format war).

Now Blu-Ray is the state of the art, but streaming, 3D and whatever are looming around the corner. Soon perfectly good Bluray players and big screens will be in the trash. (that's waste)

I wrote too much now. This Picture ilustrates perfectly my point.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 09:42 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Actually I hit "submit" before I was finished and could elaborate, glad someone asked. What I was thinking is how the industry phases out perfectly good technology in order to sell the same thing again (the so-called "planned obsolescence").
That is kind of part of our technology cycle though. Honestly, I have no real issues with it. As much as I miss the old days sometimes, I think it would be a pretty sad existence if I was still watching Betamax/Laserdisc on a 19" Trinitron with an Atari 2600 for gaming.

Blu-ray is also a bigger step up from DVD than DVD was from VHS when talking about pure picture quality. Plus it was a less wasteful transition as Blu-ray players also play DVD's.
Old March 27 2014, 09:47 PM   #30
Shat Happens
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

That is kind of part of our technology cycle though. Honestly, I have no real issues with it. As much as I miss the old days sometimes, I think it would be a pretty sad existence if I was still watching Betamax/Laserdisc on a 19" Trinitron with an Atari 2600 for gaming.

Blu-ray is also a bigger step up from DVD than DVD was from VHS when talking about pure picture quality. Plus it was a less wasteful transition as Blu-ray players also play DVD's.
You didn't put the words "sad" and "Atari 2600" in the same sentence!
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote