New Star Trek Costumes Book
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Takei Voices Space Alien
By: T'Bonz on May 19

August Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on May 18

Pine To Star In New Drama
By: T'Bonz on May 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old April 3 2014, 04:35 PM   #46
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

What can be done? I feel like the instant replay this year is already dragging things out a bit.

And of course the Twins are doing that thing the Twins do. Yeah, it's only two games in, but we're pretty much seeing how it's going to be. I mean really? Perkins can't even make a two-run save? Bah.
Old April 3 2014, 04:53 PM   #47
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
What can be done? I feel like the instant replay this year is already dragging things out a bit.
But ensuring calls are going to be accurate is going to be done ... how? Because if "no review, umpires are just magically better at their jobs" were an option on the table, MLB probably would've jumped on that. And I guarantee you an umpire fucking up a force out call in a playoff game or a division game late in the season is going to impact [Insert Favorite Team Here] more than having to do the Sonic the Hedgehog toe-tap through a minute and a half of broadcaster fluff.

I also think fans are going to be a lot less prissy about how much of their *experience* that instant replay is ruining once the first few months are over and people have stopped timing every replay break with a stopwatch.
Old April 3 2014, 06:06 PM   #48
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Sure. I agree. But it's the only argument I could think of for not reviewing it
Old April 3 2014, 09:35 PM   #49
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
But ensuring calls are going to be accurate is going to be done ... how? Because if "no review, umpires are just magically better at their jobs" were an option on the table, MLB probably would've jumped on that. And I guarantee you an umpire fucking up a force out call in a playoff game or a division game late in the season is going to impact [Insert Favorite Team Here] more than having to do the Sonic the Hedgehog toe-tap through a minute and a half of broadcaster fluff.

I also think fans are going to be a lot less prissy about how much of their *experience* that instant replay is ruining once the first few months are over and people have stopped timing every replay break with a stopwatch.
The replay doesn't bug me that much. There was one that lasted at least five minutes in a game I was listening to, and it was like, "C'mon already!" It shouldn't take that long. And then the opposing manager argued with the umpires when the call was overturned. But there are limitations to the amount of replays that can be done at least.

When it comes down to individual pitches, you're looking at 5x the amount of things that can be questioned. There would have to be more severe limits to keep the game going, and not have a five minute break every time a pitch is questioned. So again, I ask, how do you feasibly make this happen without hanging up the game?

I think if you wanted ultimate accuracy, the home plate umpire wouldn't even call the balls and strikes anymore.
Old April 3 2014, 11:31 PM   #50
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I think if you wanted ultimate accuracy, the home plate umpire wouldn't even call the balls and strikes anymore.
I'm not opposed to this.
Old April 3 2014, 11:36 PM   #51
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The replays I've seen this year have been quick and efficient. The umps on the field grab those headsets out of the bag and are told they royally fucked things up, then they get back to work.
Old April 3 2014, 11:59 PM   #52
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'd also imagine ball and strike replays would be very close to Tennis replays as far as speed goes.

In addition, even if teams got only one challenge, I imagine it would increase the accuracy of calls because there's no point in giving the benefit of the doubt in any play because you could be reversed at any time.
Old April 4 2014, 12:14 AM   #53
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Chad Curtis is one of those fucking crazy people from a horror movie who totally believes in their righteousness and I'm surprised he isn't a serial killer. Holy shit.
Old April 4 2014, 03:41 AM   #54
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Well, the Cubs lost in 16 innings, the day after they lost in 10 innings.

Emilio Bonafacio went 9 of 12 in those 2 games, but the rest of the team isn't doing much else so far.

Villanueva took both losses. I thought he was going to start?
Because of off day stacking I think they are going to go 4-man the first go 'round. (particularly now with back to back extras)

Cubs now undefeated in regulation-length games.
Old April 4 2014, 04:16 AM   #55
Drone
Captain

View Drone's Twitter Profile

Well, as Rangers fans are wont to do, I may have overreacted as a result of ONE LOUSY GAME. Fill in starter #2 did ok last night and the boys did come back twice in the latter stages. On the other hand, it was the fightin' whatevers they were playing, so I'm not sure how much stock I'll put in anything other than the nice shutdown the relievers managed in the wins.
Old April 4 2014, 03:36 PM   #56
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Stay classy, Matt Adams.

Old April 4 2014, 09:36 PM   #57
Use of Time
Commodore

Justin Upton took full advantage of the replay process this afternoon in D.C. Threw his hands up on a ball that was just sitting under the fence while Desmond circles the bases for an inside the parker. Umpires reviewed and put Desmond back on second. It was under the fence but he could have easily gotten to it.
Old April 4 2014, 09:48 PM   #58
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Justin Upton took full advantage of the replay process this afternoon in D.C. Threw his hands up on a ball that was just sitting under the fence while Desmond circles the bases for an inside the parker. Umpires reviewed and put Desmond back on second. It was under the fence but he could have easily gotten to it.
Taking a glance at the rulebook, Rule 7.05(f) states:

Two bases, if a fair ball bounces or is deflected into the stands outside the first or third base foul lines; or if it goes through or under a field fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery or vines on the fence; or if it sticks in such fence, scoreboard, shrubbery or vines
Whether or not he could see it or get to it is irrelevant. It lodged itself under the padding, which is a ground rule double.
Old April 4 2014, 11:13 PM   #59
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Wasn't it Jose Cardenal that tried stuffing the ball into the Wrigley vines?
Old April 5 2014, 12:12 AM   #60
Use of Time
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Taking a glance at the rulebook, Rule 7.05(f) states:

Two bases, if a fair ball bounces or is deflected into the stands outside the first or third base foul lines; or if it goes through or under a field fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery or vines on the fence; or if it sticks in such fence, scoreboard, shrubbery or vines
Whether or not he could see it or get to it is irrelevant. It lodged itself under the padding, which is a ground rule double.
I know this. The call on the field was an inside the park homerun. The replay put Desmond back on second. Upton utilized some gamesmanship by throwing up his hands instead of grabbing the ball. Desmond would have at least had a triple if he hadn't done that. Heads up play. His argument solicited a replay which caused the umpires to get the call right. Nationals broadcasters were bitching about it but it was the right call.

Last edited by Use of Time; April 5 2014 at 12:32 AM.
Closed Thread