New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old July 23 2014, 05:06 PM   #436
Scout101
Admiral

Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Ugh, annoyed by this Yankees trade. Seems like EVERY trade the Yankees make: get a good player (in this case, guy is slumping but the talent is there), pay the freight, give up garbage prospects.

Seems like every time, Yankees get away with snagging decent players while not giving up any talent in return. Good for Cashman, i guess, but I'd have thought Headley was worth more than that, and everyone seems to just cave when negotiating with the Yankees.

Not sure he's going to HELP, as having a terrible year, but the talent is there and he's just a rental anyway. Plus 3B was a disaster, so can't hurt, and didn't give up anything that would be missed, so why not?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old July 23 2014, 05:46 PM   #437
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I actually really like De Paula and I think he's a good get for the Padres. He lost his prospect sheen last year because he got shelled, but he's always been a heavy flyball pitcher, which projects better in Petco than it does in Yankee Stadium.

The thing is, the Padres waited too long to put Headley on the market. If they had a lick of sense, they would have sold high on him after 2012, which was a complete aberration compared to the rest of his career -- but this is one of many reasons that Josh Byrnes was fired a month ago.
Old July 23 2014, 05:57 PM   #438
Use of Time
Commodore

I think the years playing for San Diego can wear on a talented player like Headley. Lot of upside so maybe a change of scenery will help him jumpstart his career.
Old July 23 2014, 07:44 PM   #439
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Cashman flat out said the Yanks didn't have enough to get Samardzija & Hammel, so the Cubs didn't cave. If there was any negotiating at all.
Old July 23 2014, 10:23 PM   #440
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Cashman flat out said the Yanks didn't have enough to get Samardzija & Hammel, so the Cubs didn't cave. If there was any negotiating at all.
The Cubs wanted actual, legitimate prospects -- how dare they.

The Yankees have none.

Edit: Holy shit, the Padres are calling up Francoeur. Just so we're clear, Frenchy's career OPS of .725 (.263 / .306 / .419) would make him the second-best hitter on the field after Seth Smith and pretty significantly ahead of Rene Rivera at .695 (.220 / .276/ .418). Seth Smith is literally the only offensive player on the roster that is above replacement level.
Old July 23 2014, 11:28 PM   #441
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Timby wrote: View Post
Well, Chase Utley is still in Philadelphia...
Yeah, holy crap that scared me for a second. I feel Utley would die a little inside if he went to the Yankees of all places.
Old July 24 2014, 02:47 AM   #442
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Well, Chase Utley is still in Philadelphia...
Yeah, holy crap that scared me for a second. I feel Utley would die a little inside if he went to the Yankees of all places.
I bet the Yankees would take his production, given how much they're missing the presence of Messieurs Cano and Rodriguez.

Oh, that's right, they weren't "true Yankees."
Old July 24 2014, 11:29 AM   #443
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Utley's season isn't half bad and he made the All Star game, so I have no doubt they'd take his numbers. But the Yankees don't really have much to offer in trade value. If they want Ryan Howard (and his contract) that might be OK, but the Yankees aren't really buyers any more than the Phillies right now.
Old July 24 2014, 02:11 PM   #444
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

Jim Johnson is garbage.
Old July 24 2014, 04:08 PM   #445
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Utley's season isn't half bad and he made the All Star game, so I have no doubt they'd take his numbers. But the Yankees don't really have much to offer in trade value. If they want Ryan Howard (and his contract) that might be OK, but the Yankees aren't really buyers any more than the Phillies right now.
Oh, I agree completely (a page or two back I wrote a few paragraphs about how barren their farm system is).

In other news, yesterday Jon Jay took a 3 - 2 pitch in a two-run game.

It was called a ball.

Nobody noticed it was ball four, and he then fanned on the 4 - 2 pitch.

lol
Old July 24 2014, 04:49 PM   #446
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

I had to chuckle Timby at how you made fun of the Padres' anemic offense, and then they went and beat the Cubbies 8-3.
Old July 24 2014, 04:55 PM   #447
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
I had to chuckle Timby at how you made fun of the Padres' anemic offense, and then they went and beat the Cubbies 8-3.
I've said this before, but life as a Cubs fan:

Imagine you're walking down the street on a beautiful summer afternoon. Sun's shining, nice breeze, not a cloud in the sky. Suddenly, on the sidewalk, you notice a $100 bill on the ground.

As you bend over to pick up that $100, some asshole runs up from behind and kicks you in the junk with a steel-toed boot. Hard. Like, after the initial kick he twists his foot around just to make it hurt that much more.

And as you stumble around, half-blind from the pain and desperately trying not to puke all over the sidewalk, that asshole steals the $100 bill.

That's being a Cubs fan. So I have to laugh, otherwise I'd puke all over the sidewalk.
Old July 24 2014, 05:00 PM   #448
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
I've said this before, but life as a Cubs fan:

Imagine you're walking down the street on a beautiful summer afternoon. Sun's shining, nice breeze, not a cloud in the sky. Suddenly, on the sidewalk, you notice a $100 bill on the ground.

As you bend over to pick up that $100, some asshole runs up from behind and kicks you in the junk with a steel-toed boot. Hard. Like, after the initial kick he twists his foot around just to make it hurt that much more.

And as you stumble around, half-blind from the pain and desperately trying not to puke all over the sidewalk, that asshole steals the $100 bill.

That's being a Cubs fan. So I have to laugh, otherwise I'd puke all over the sidewalk.

I get you man, and I admire your loyalty.
Old July 24 2014, 09:54 PM   #449
Use of Time
Commodore

Baseball would benefit greatly if the Cubs would enter a sustained period of being a legitimate contender. Great fanbase, great city and a great stadium (at least on TV). There were some great games between the Cubs and the Cardinals back around 03. The Cardinals/Reds "rivalry" just doesn't do anything for me.
Old July 24 2014, 10:42 PM   #450
Pondwater
Commodore

Are there any good rivalries anymore besides Giants/Dodgers and Yankees/Red Sox??

...All night long...
Closed Thread