RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,506
Posts: 5,511,414
Members: 25,136
Currently online: 413
Newest member: aprizan

TrekToday headlines

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old June 26 2014, 04:50 PM   #346
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

^ And of course the Padres make a convenient target, because it's "fun" to insult a team that doesn't win every single fucking game.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline  
Old June 26 2014, 05:14 PM   #347
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ And of course the Padres make a convenient target, because it's "fun" to insult a team that doesn't win every single fucking game.
The Padres have, by far, the worst offense in the league (they're barely north of the Mendoza line as a team), and got no-hit twice in a year by a guy who hasn't had an ERA+ above 78 since 2011. It was like Lincecum was throwing against the El Paso Chihuahuas. That lineup is extraordinarily bad. From a certain perspective, it's a shame they have Seth Smith; it'd be interesting to see how dismal they could get otherwise.

Edit: I mean, c'mon, this is just hilariously bad, as in "this is not a Major League offense" bad:



We're allowed to laugh at them.

Last edited by Timby; June 26 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Timby is offline  
Old June 26 2014, 05:44 PM   #348
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks
 
Santa Horrible's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse NY
View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Calm down Francis, all said in jest.
__________________
Now she's here shining in the starlight, Now she's here, suddenly I know. If she's here, it's crystal clear, I'm where I'm meant to go

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline  
Old June 26 2014, 06:23 PM   #349
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

It's not like they no-hit the Marlins. Now they're a questionable "major league" team.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline  
Old June 26 2014, 07:03 PM   #350
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Timby wrote: View Post

We're allowed to laugh at them.
And they're allowed to have fans.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline  
Old June 26 2014, 07:14 PM   #351
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post

We're allowed to laugh at them.
And they're allowed to have fans.
And I'm allowed to laugh at those fans (while feeling sorry for them), too. When you're that bad, it's funny.
Timby is offline  
Old June 26 2014, 07:51 PM   #352
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

^ Says the Cubs fan.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline  
Old June 26 2014, 09:36 PM   #353
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Says the Cubs fan.
I laugh at and mock the Cubs, too.

Because if I couldn't laugh at them, I'd cry.
Timby is offline  
Old June 27 2014, 08:32 PM   #354
1001001
Let the Good Times Roll!!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Timby wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ And of course the Padres make a convenient target, because it's "fun" to insult a team that doesn't win every single fucking game.
The Padres have, by far, the worst offense in the league (they're barely north of the Mendoza line as a team), and got no-hit twice in a year by a guy who hasn't had an ERA+ above 78 since 2011. It was like Lincecum was throwing against the El Paso Chihuahuas. That lineup is extraordinarily bad. From a certain perspective, it's a shame they have Seth Smith; it'd be interesting to see how dismal they could get otherwise.

Edit: I mean, c'mon, this is just hilariously bad, as in "this is not a Major League offense" bad:



We're allowed to laugh at them.
Is the owner trying to Major League them or something??



Glad to see my Beloved Angels finally showing up...
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline  
Old June 28 2014, 11:40 PM   #355
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

1001001 wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ And of course the Padres make a convenient target, because it's "fun" to insult a team that doesn't win every single fucking game.
The Padres have, by far, the worst offense in the league (they're barely north of the Mendoza line as a team), and got no-hit twice in a year by a guy who hasn't had an ERA+ above 78 since 2011. It was like Lincecum was throwing against the El Paso Chihuahuas. That lineup is extraordinarily bad. From a certain perspective, it's a shame they have Seth Smith; it'd be interesting to see how dismal they could get otherwise.

Edit: I mean, c'mon, this is just hilariously bad, as in "this is not a Major League offense" bad:



We're allowed to laugh at them.
Is the owner trying to Major League them or something??

It's really hard to put into words just how horrible Kevin Towers' reign as GM was for the team ... and then just how much gasoline Josh Byrnes poured on the fire that Towers started. And now that Byrnes is out, Larry Beinfest has emerged as a candidate for the job.
Timby is offline  
Old June 29 2014, 04:26 PM   #356
1001001
Let the Good Times Roll!!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

I read a story on ESPN that said under Byrnes, the Padres' payroll nearly doubled...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...lb&id=11120069

__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline  
Old June 29 2014, 04:37 PM   #357
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Padres pitching is so bad that they're literally giving anybody a shot at starting. I think they let that T-Rex out there last week.
__________________
Currently Reading: The Martian by Andy Weir
Currently Watching: The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, NCIS:NO, Law & Order: SVU, Stalker, American Horror Story, and Bones
Starbreaker is offline  
Old June 29 2014, 06:40 PM   #358
Sran
Commodore
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Timby wrote: View Post
And now that Byrnes is out, Larry Beinfest has emerged as a candidate for the job.
Isn't Binefest Jeffrey Loria's son-in-law? I remember reading that somewhere after he got into a shouting match with Joe Girardi in 2006, when the latter was the Marlins' manager. Girardi was actually fired during a post-game meeting, but cooler heads prevailed, and he was kept until the end of the season.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline  
Old July 5 2014, 05:04 AM   #359
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Samardzija & Hammel dealt to the A's.

So, how many more fucking years before the Cubs are gonna win now? 2015 isn't looking good at all.

Trader Theo has to keep some good veterans. How much is he gonna overpay for a front line starting pitcher when he realizes he needs one?

Or is he gonna go Florida Marlins and field a triple-A team?
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline  
Old July 5 2014, 04:55 PM   #360
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: 2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Samardzija & Hammel dealt to the A's.

So, how many more fucking years before the Cubs are gonna win now? 2015 isn't looking good at all.
Eh, there's a lot of potential there. The return they got from Oakland is really, really good -- Addison Russell is one of the top infield prospects in baseball (and his arrival will finally move Castro to 2B), and Straily is a good piece even if he's old. McKinney is a long way away. But they still have Baez and Bryant ripping things up in the minors, too.

Trader Theo has to keep some good veterans. How much is he gonna overpay for a front line starting pitcher when he realizes he needs one?

Or is he gonna go Florida Marlins and field a triple-A team?
If you're going to pay $20 million for a frontline starter, you don't give it to Jeff Samardzija, who despite his numbers this year just isn't a #1 ace. You go all-in next winter on some combination of Scherzer / Lester / Shields and try to flip one of your top prospects to Tampa Bay for Price (although Friedman turned down a straight-up deal of Russell for Price, so I have no idea what Tampa's looking to get anymore). Samardzija had made it clear that he had no intention of staying in Chicago given that he turned down a $17 million / year deal last month, and Hammel was always meant as a "pray he's really good for half a season so we can get a return on him" signing.
Timby is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
may the force be with you

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.