Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 26 2014, 10:33 PM   #1
StCoop
Commodore

Gues who's writing two episodes this series.

Yes, it's the man whose work as writer, actor, comedian, director and documentary maker I like in all of his other endevours but who can't write a good episode of Doctor Who to save his life (which won't stop him getting the showruner job when Moffat finally goes)...

So another series of episodes by Moffat and his Mates. And no women need apply, obviously.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Re: Gues who's writing two episodes this series.

Excellent news. Wrote two of my favorite episodes from last year.
Old March 26 2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

For those of us across the Pond, who is that? I Googled pics of Chris Chibnall, Toby Whithouse, Mark Gatiss and Neil Cross, and none them looks like that pic to me?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 11:13 PM   #4
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

it's Mark Gatiss
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 11:31 PM   #5
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

3chordboy wrote: View Post
it's Mark Gatiss
OK, heh, that was my first instinct, but, the images I get on Google don't look like that all

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 11:32 PM   #6
starsuperion
Captain

Have we already seen an episode written by him?
Old March 26 2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Sindatur wrote: View Post
3chordboy wrote: View Post
it's Mark Gatiss
OK, heh, that was my first instinct, but, the images I get on Google don't look like that all
The Web of Caves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETlYacSCHE
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 11:37 PM   #8
Starkers
Admiral

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
Ditto, aside from The Name of the Doctor, Cold War and The Crimson Horror were the highlights of series 7B

Hey StCoop, remind me, who hired Gatiss to write episodes of Dr Who before Moffat did? And please, remind me again all the names of the myriad female writers that RTD used? Well there was Helen Raynor...and of course Helen Raynor, and who can forget Helen Raynor...

That said, I do agree with you to some extent with regard jobs for the boys, but it's Thompson I have a problem with as his episodes have been universally shit. Gatiss at least has a 50% hit rate IMO

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 11:38 PM   #9
Starkers
Admiral

starsuperion wrote: View Post
Have we already seen an episode written by him?
ER, try six of em!

Old March 27 2014, 02:17 AM   #10
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

StCoop wrote: View Post
Yes, it's the man whose work as writer, actor, comedian, director and documentary maker I like in all of his other endevours but who can't write a good episode of Doctor Who to save his life (which won't stop him getting the showruner job when Moffat finally goes)...
It's the "other endeavors" that make me think that Gatiss probably won't be Moffat's successor, because unless he's willing to give them all up or the BBC is willing to produce Doctor Who even more sporadically than it has been in recent memory, I don't see how Gatiss has the time.

With Hannibal's ratings cratering, it's possible that Bryan Fuller will be looking for work in the near future. Fuller would kick ass on Doctor Who.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 02:31 AM   #11
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
While I tend to agree, I also think they were his best two episodes so far. Hopefully he's figured something out, but they still might be outliers.
Old March 27 2014, 02:53 AM   #12
Candlelight
Admiral

Yay, the sequel to Victory of the Daleks maybe!

:P
Old March 27 2014, 03:46 AM   #13
diankra
Commodore

Let's face it, if he wasn't already working on Who, then he'd be the first person they'd be calling up to see if he was interested in writing for it.
And the mess of Victory of the Daleks wasn't his fault, that was down to the director, and more than that the decision to try and restart with an entire new production crew as if that hadn't worked out horribly on the first block back in 2004 (that time it was unavoidable, obviously. Doing it again in 2009 was just plain stupid).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 06:49 AM   #14
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

The Unquiet Dead wasn't bad either.

But yes, I'm with Rarewolf. I used to be a big non-fan of his work. But his two stories were high points of last season, and he certainly deserves props for An Adventure in Time and Space. So yes, I'm quite happy about this news.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
For those of us across the Pond, who is that? I Googled pics of Chris Chibnall, Toby Whithouse, Mark Gatiss and Neil Cross, and none them looks like that pic to me?
Ah Mark Gatiss, Master of Disguise.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 10:17 AM   #15
Starkers
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
Let's face it, if he wasn't already working on Who, then he'd be the first person they'd be calling up to see if he was interested in writing for it.
And the mess of Victory of the Daleks wasn't his fault, that was down to the director, and more than that the decision to try and restart with an entire new production crew as if that hadn't worked out horribly on the first block back in 2004 (that time it was unavoidable, obviously. Doing it again in 2009 was just plain stupid).
I wasn’t aware of that, but it did strike me that VotD was a bit of a poisoned chalice and that he was likely given a hefty shopping list by Moffat (in the same way I believe Raynor was over Daleks in Manhatten) “Ok Mark, I’ll need Daleks, British army Daleks, Churchill, Spitfires in space, brand New Daleks, a cunning plan, robot scientists…oh and did I mention the spitfires in space?” Plus he was writing for a Doctor he didn’t know

What’s surprising about VotD is that, in places, it’s kinda enjoyable.

It is surprising that people always tend to blame the writer if an episode is shite, rather than the rest of the production crew, but similarly I guess they laud the writer and forget everyone else for the good episodes. I mean Moffat’s script for Blink is great, but if the direction hadn’t been as good, the guest cast as wonderful, Gold’s score as evocative and the realisation of the Angels as imaginative it wouldn’t have been half as good.

As for whether Gatiss would give up his other interests for Who, I suspect much in the way that Moffat walked away from Spielberg he would. Then again he might be content for the odd episode of Who to be the sum total of his contribution. I would agree that whoever takes the role on next should give the job pretty much their full attention.

I’d rather have Gatiss over some other choices if only because he does at least get Who, and I think he’d have an overarching feel for how his version of Who would be (and I think it would be different to Moffat or RTD). Chibnall may have gone up in my estimation based on his work for 7A but I still don’t think he has the kind of vision you need for Who.