RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,694
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 481
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 4 2014, 05:41 PM   #76
starsuperion
Captain

Re: The Nature of the TARDIS

Okay Whovians, Here we go! I am about to take you all on a trip down the Vortex tunnel, into the realm of technical schematic bliss! This first post is simply the cover page of the Index, and later today I will be uploading the first page of the Technical errata, "Default internal Structure" of the TARDIS. When you see the structure, imagine for a moment, that you begin at the control sphere, in the console room, and walk out into a corridor, as you progress you begin to feel as if you are slowly moving deeper into the machine, as if the corridor is slowly winding it's way downward. This is not an illusion, as the internal structure does do this, and in one case, will marry up with the Journey to the Center of the TARDIS depiction, as you will see how the service tunnels, and corridors make their way around the ship's internal spherical shape, making their way to the centre and will also show how the internal time scepter makes itself connected with the outer rings of rooms within the spherical shape. Page 2 of the Schematic section, will detail the cutaway showcasing the time scepter, and page 3 will be a detailed version showcasing how corridors and rooms are laid out within the ship. Page 4 will be a detail of the control sphere and the Default (Hartnell) console room, and page 5 will be the Mark I console..more to come after.

Yet, for just today, I am only uploading the Cover page, and later the default structure, page 1.

This is the format the pages will be following..
I hope you guys will like this. Cheers!
Old July 6 2014, 10:16 PM   #77
publiusr
Commodore

Wonderful as always.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 02:02 AM   #78
starsuperion
Captain

Okay guys check this..

The TARDIS begins as a small ship It's default configuration if you will (Hartnell era) Or basic configuration Per journey to the Center of the TARDIS
, then reconfigures it's internal structure..becoming bigger, almost full..but not quite there yet.. check the next post for that.
http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...=rel/3465980:4

Then it jettisons some rooms, and reconfigures itself again..Castrovalva and event one..where it jettisons 25%.
http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...=rel/3465977:2

All you need do is put the time scepter in the middle, and throw up some corridor spiral pathways denoting the 12 levels to the structure, the spheres can become upright reconfigured and changes into any room needed, Inside according to the Time scepter orientation after settling.. and you can throw in some lift shafts in there between some spots.. when the TARDIS configures itself, it's corridors and pathways delete, and after the rooms (spheres) settle it then creates the pathways and lifts and such to tie it all together.

now how is that for a fantastic visual aide!!

Last edited by starsuperion; July 8 2014 at 02:43 AM.
starsuperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 02:20 AM   #79
starsuperion
Captain

In this version you have:

1. standard Default TARDIS, before expansion..Hartnell era, Or basic configuration Per journey to the Center of the TARDIS

2. Ignore that configuration..

3. Faction paradox TARDIS, rooms become bone and that flower..LOL

4. Back to normal fully and completely grown TARDIS Configuration..

http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...=rel/3450995:3

Actually this is the best one yet..
http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...6WzLPg5dw:2:98

Last edited by starsuperion; July 8 2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old July 8 2014, 03:10 AM   #80
starsuperion
Captain

One more thing..
The exterior of the 5th Dimension

this is what I envision the exterior of the 5th Dimension would look like with the structures I noted above within, the lines coming out are the energy waves from the ship's engines. again inside that cloud is the structures I have noted above..
http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...4sSnNKnRg:4:54

further out, This is an example of the TARDIS 5th Dimension as noted above this text line, it is exuding energy from the Vortex as it took it in, swirled it around the ship's internal structure and pushes it back into the vortex, (essentially like a cosmic jet engine) as the outer shell is moving in the wormhole.
The light sphere (lower Left) is giving off the Orbital energy, or Counter Magnetic thrust.. the next image is how that flux is being used to direct the motion of the TARDIS in the Vortex..
http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...2XHJm6MhA:1:42

closer up to the lit sphere above, we see in the link below, This is what we don't see outside the Police box, is the waves..

the big fan wave shifting above is the direction it is driving the ship's exterior shell outside the 5th Dimension in the vortex (akin to a ship's rudder). Left and right directional flight is implied...

outside, we just see the police box moving in the Wormhole, time vortex tunnel..
http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...2XHJm6MhA:1:30

Which makes the police box move down the vortex like this:
http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...l/2124848:7/3p

when just moving in space and not in the vortex, the unseen invisible warp field generated by the vworp drive creates an energy field around the outer shell like this:
http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...l/4170109:0/3p

Ofcourse it could all just be like this, which reminds me of the map from journey to the center of the TARDIS...
http://www.shutterstock.com/video/cl...6WzLPg5dw:1:89

Last edited by starsuperion; July 8 2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old August 4 2014, 04:10 AM   #81
starsuperion
Captain

This is the first in a series of Schematics depicting the TARDIS as Grayprint files. This is the top down view of the Ship, as a topographical map. A schematic of the actual structure of the ship is incoming and is done from an angle..pending approval from willbswift my collaborative associate of the website, www.whoniverse.net.

There will be two more maps like this and subsequent schematics like the console, and so on, the next two maps will be one showing the upper floors, and the other showing the lower floors. This map corresponds to the maps located in the essential Guide to the TARDIS from Panini Press, which includes the Invasion of Time Map configuration, and the Journey to the center of the TARDIS. However, this depiction is meant to be the default depiction of all Type 40 TARDISes and not just that of the Doctor's. Gallifreyan Grayprint formats have been researched and rarely stray from gray backgrounds, with light blue lines. The Omega configuration not shown in this design, is an energy grid that surrounds the structure and can be folded back to certain areas reducing the conditional states for matter within.

The Dimensional Field Barriers noted in the MAP is the technical term for the Dimensional Dams noted by the Doctor to Clara Oswald in the Name of the Doctor episode.

There will be no scales in the Dimensional maps of the TARDIS..
"Just how big is the TARDIS?" Sarah asks. "Well, how big is big?" the Doctor replies, "Relative dimensions, you see, no constants." He continues, "There are no measurements in infinity.

As Always you can get the full download at my website:
http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart...=1&ga_recent=1

Main 4 Floors:

More to come!

Last edited by starsuperion; August 4 2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old August 6 2014, 03:57 AM   #82
starsuperion
Captain

In the actual schematic of the ship ortho, it will be presented at an angle to depict the linear nature of the rings as being horizontal on top of one another sperated by lift shafts and some other types of support structures. If you want to know what the corridors look like, and basically what the shell rooms will be according to this map, then no need to look further then this concept art of the protyon core, or the tree from the Architectural reconfiguration room from Journey to the center of the TARDIS. It is strongly based on that, and also basically makes the outer structure with the inner "core DNA" as the doctor refers to it, one and the same in some sort of sense, which makes the whole thing feel like a living machine, and very organic.

So basically what you are looking at in the topography map above is a manifestation of this below:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/94...b/p0187n6b.jpg

the marking on the eggs are basically the names, temporal phase, and locations of the rooms and their structural formations contained within. So when you see the exterior of the ship in the Grayprint I am working on, it will basically look like those just in loops and connected with spheres, which are actually the rooms, some intricate, some basic, some like the engine core are a bit more involved. basically the physical manifestation of the TARDIS core architectural data contained in each sphere egg on that tree is what the exterior of the ship's corridors and rooms are..very much like a living creature of sorts..very organic, and yet machine, totally machine. it is important to note that each dimensional Barrier is actually a sphere of swirling bubbling gray clouds surrounding each dimensional plane.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/25da6a475...oeyo4_1280.jpg

the Topographical Layout above (MAP) design is a top down view of the infrastructure. It is liner in that some of the corridor lines are on top of one another. The outer ring is the holding ring, which is where special rooms are stored and protected from deletion.. tho there are none in this depiction because this is the floor model, like a brand new default mode type 40. that is the design direction I am going for with these. the lower decks will be the next ones to be done, and then a topography of the upper decks will complete the ship. In the handbook what it is describing can be summed up in what has been presented in the Invasion of Time episode where Borusa enters a room one way, then exits and ends up on another section of the ship.. this can be what the handbook is discussing in the dynamic way of configuring a ship's pedestrian structure. Through dimensional junctures, essentially a wormhole to another section of the ship only the wormhole is super thin, so when you walk through it, you don't realize it until you arrive in the next room or corridor. this is something tho that most time lords don't like to do, and even Borusa criticizes the fourth doctor about it..Stating a proper pedestrian infrastructure should be laid out in 3 dimensions, without those junctions. Tho, in the pedestrian infrastructure there are some present, just at the edges of the dimensional barriers, or dimensional dams as the 11th doctor said to Clara in the Name of the Doctor episode.

Last edited by starsuperion; August 6 2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old August 6 2014, 10:01 AM   #83
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

mind = blown
Old August 6 2014, 08:12 PM   #84
starsuperion
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
mind = blown
Why thank you! The next page is a breakdown of the rooms as a text document and then the lower decks topography. There are 4 floors per deck as a default Type 40 has 12 floors. The console room is counted as floor zero, so under British building standards, it essentially has 13 floors..But only recognizes the additional 12 as different from the primary main floor.
Old August 14 2014, 08:56 AM   #85
starsuperion
Captain

Incoming!! Seeing as how this thread is all about the TARDIS, I didn't want to start a new thread for some other projects I have been working on, however I will be uploading very soon a couple of Grayprint sheets that cover the Great Bowships of Gallifrey, which were used in the Ancient Great Vampire wars. The design is loosely based on those seen in the Chronicles of Gallifrey Books, and the Black Scrolls of Rassilon that were presented in that series. I of course sought higher guidance from Will B. Swift of the www.whoniverse.net website to get the details correct. It is going to be a few days yet before I get the first page done, but I just wanted to give you guys a heads up that it is coming, as what I have completed so far is so cool, It's hard for me not to wanna talk about it.. so be prepared, the Great Bowship will soon be making it's debut here on trekbbs!! Look forward to hearing your guys take on the ship once I post it! stay tuned brothers and sisters! Cheers!

P.S. the P7E Ship from Underworld the Minyons Piloted was of Gallifreyan design, so some of the systems of the Great Bowship have them incorporated in it, since those ships were around about the same time as the Bowship was in use. Also the T7 Time Stations were also in use then as well, and we are quite confident those time stations were Type 7 TARDISes which carried the Bowships about the universe in search of Great Vampires, tho by the time of Trail of a Time Lord, the time stations were probably in little use, and one called Zenobia was converted into a summary trial court..anyhow, that station/TARDIS will also be making a debut down the road..so really the Bowship has more of a connection there, so now I don't feel too bad about posting those bowships here. LOL
Old August 23 2014, 07:50 PM   #86
publiusr
Commodore

That's perfect. Not enough has been done on the spacecraft of Dr. Who
Old August 29 2014, 06:45 PM   #87
starsuperion
Captain

Last edited by starsuperion; August 30 2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old September 5 2014, 02:39 AM   #88
starsuperion
Captain

Update on the Grayprints project for the Type 40 capsules..

As I have said before these will be based on a typical Type 40 TARDIS in default mode, as if you are just about to take her for her first run.. in the schematics I will be covering most of the power rooms, a topography map of the Upper, Main, and Lower decks, complete with a Text file that describes each room. Floor plans and schematics of the console Mark I, Mark II, and Mark II, console rooms, engine room, Arch-Recon, etc..etc.. Only about 5 or so Storage rooms will be depicted. corridors, and roundels, and security doors, and what ever else would be cool to throw in as the features of the ship. I will also be releasing this in Black and White. Now the scale of these is more conducive to large poster size prints, and smaller half poster sized prints. I will be making these in the large poster sized print, and packaging the entire set of plans in a cardboard tube with a TARDIS print for the packaging.. If in the future you would like a set, please let me know thru PMing me.. cost associated with print, and shipping are not mine.. so please consider that if you want any of these when I am finished.

Anyhow, here is an update on the work..

Here is the standard Grayprint, and below is a Black and White edition. these are the Main Decks, while coming next will be the text file, and map for the lower decks. After that is the Upper decks.

This is a work in Progress Text index for the Maps above.. First one is Grayprint, the next is the Black and white.. as always you can find these on my deviant art page..

Wait till you guys see the Console schematic and the cutaway! that is going to be awesome.. but the Endo-Shell is going to be my favorite.. it shows the true depiction of what the map does. These will not have page numbers, but will correspond via their titles.

Large scale download here:
http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart.com/
Old September 5 2014, 07:03 PM   #89
starsuperion
Captain

I went back and looked at old WWII airplanes, and 1930's space plane or space fighter concepts, and reviewed the chronicle of Gallifrey book illustrations, and basically came up with the redesigned Bowship you see below. massive Staser canons replace the wing versions I had previously, and the command deck is now in the center in the back. the life boat orbs that I previously had on the outer section of the ship are now housed inside the main body, and are released from the shell door just in front of central command. It seemed logical to make sure your life boats were protected until you needed them, and also a Great Vampire would most certainly drain your life force the closer to the front of the ship, so it made sense to move the control center to be back side for protection.

I hope you all will like this version..

Old September 6 2014, 09:04 PM   #90
publiusr
Commodore

Great work on the boltships.