Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 4 2014, 08:05 PM   #211
CrazyMatt
Commander

Re: Anyone receive "These Are The Voyages..." Season 2 yet?

Harvey wrote: View Post
feek61 wrote: View Post
Yes, but the "strange new worlds" was but one of the three parts of the stated mission in the teaser. What about "seeking out new life and new civilizations" and "boldly going where no man has gone before"
I'd have to look at the pitch document again, but I believe the language you're talking about wasn't written until the last minute in 1966, right before the series debuted.
That's what the Solow/Justman book indicated... they had to keep after GR to write the intro up to a month before premier week.
Old May 4 2014, 09:32 PM   #212
MGagen
Captain

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
This is not my quote.
Sorry about that. Sloppy quote tag editing on my part...

M.
MGagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 12:57 PM   #213
Forbin
Admiral

Oh, I love the in-character letters that Kelly and Nimoy wrote to Spockinalia! Hysterical!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:41 PM   #214
CrazyMatt
Commander

MGagen wrote: View Post
CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
This is not my quote.
Sorry about that. Sloppy quote tag editing on my part...

M.
Old May 8 2014, 09:48 PM   #215
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Interesting, Star Trek beat 2001 in airing a story about a computer controlled ship trying to kill people to preserve its existence.

-Chris
Old May 8 2014, 10:33 PM   #216
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Arrived yesterday. Was planning on saving it for a long plane trip, but ended up reading a quarter of it last night. Oops.

Initial impressions :

Once again a mountain of scripts and memos were analysed and if you are a student of writing you will really enjoy tracing the evolution of the scripts and judging for yourself whether changes were for the better or not.

Presentation of the written text is a lot better this time. There's still typos, but not as many so far. Unfortunately the referencing is a shambles again here. I would love to know what went wrong. It won't bother many fans, but if you are interested in finding sources for assertions, you will be frustrated.

The author is of the belief that Star Trek was a smash hit that was cruelled by a network who didn't like Roddenberry. He hasn't made the case for me yet, but this argument is infused through the text, which may or may not bother you.

Justman's memos steal the show again. Some of them are truly hilarious. What an asset he was to that show.

This volume is worth a buy for the detailed script evolutions and the rare photos (although they are black and white), but if the other points above will bother you, wait for the e-book.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 05:12 PM   #217
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I don't think that he thought Trek was a smash hit, he is just showing it wasn't the ratings disaster that people made it out to be in the 70s and 80s. Yes, the narrative is that one of the big checks against Trek was that NBC was getting fed up in dealing with Roddenberry.

-Chris
Old May 9 2014, 06:29 PM   #218
Warped9
Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
I don't think that he thought Trek was a smash hit, he is just showing it wasn't the ratings disaster that people made it out to be in the 70s and 80s. Yes, the narrative is that one of the big checks against Trek was that NBC was getting fed up in dealing with Roddenberry.

-Chris
Yes, this is the impression I get as well.
Old May 9 2014, 09:23 PM   #219
Harvey
Admiral

Reading interviews like this...

http://trekmovie.com/2013/10/27/excl...-marc-cushman/

...make it pretty evident that Cushman believes the ratings weren't low and in fact were good. He is, of course, quite wrong in this belief, which isn't supported by the facts. It seems likely that Cushman saw how Trek was performing in its timeslot (at least, on the half hour), decided Trek was a hit, and worked backwards from there. Suffice it to say, this isn't a strong way to conduct research or make an argument, but I am sure it helps sell books to have a marketing hook like that. Which is not to say I believe Cushman is primarily motivated by sales -- he just a very enthusiastic fan who, unfortunately, doesn't know what he's talking about.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 11:40 PM   #220
albion432
Lieutenant

...make it pretty evident that Cushman believes the ratings weren't low and in fact were good. He is, of course, quite wrong in this belief, which isn't supported by the facts. It seems likely that Cushman saw how Trek was performing in its timeslot (at least, on the half hour), decided Trek was a hit, and worked backwards from there. Suffice it to say, this isn't a strong way to conduct research or make an argument, but I am sure it helps sell books to have a marketing hook like that. Which is not to say I believe Cushman is primarily motivated by sales -- he just a very enthusiastic fan who, unfortunately, doesn't know what he's talking about.
All of that said, the question I have is what do the ratings that he's printed really say then? I have both books, for every episode he lists the "share" or the percentage of the television audience watching a given program, and the number of households that equates too. If and when Star Trek has the larger numbers in each case, what does that really mean? He also laid out at least one weeks overall rankings for all network programs. Star Trek wasn't in the top ten, but it was in the top 40, ahead of other shows like Gunsmoke, Hogan's Heroes, all of Irwin Allen's sci-fi, and Mission: Impossible. He may have cherry picked that example to publish, but could you explain what these numbers really mean? Or is it the consensus he's lied and just made these numbers up? I am sincerely curious.
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 04:44 AM   #221
Harvey
Admiral

In short, the ratings numbers are real, but the interpretation is a mess. The long version is impossible for me to type on my phone. When I get internet again I can write in more detail.

Old May 10 2014, 04:52 AM   #222
albion432
Lieutenant

In short, the ratings numbers are real, but the interpretation is a mess. The long version is impossible for me to type on my phone. When I get internet again I can write in more detail.
Thanks Harvey, I look forward to hearing more when you get the chance . . .
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:21 PM   #223
cbspock
Rear Admiral

and you do?

-Chris
Old May 11 2014, 03:26 PM   #224
cbspock
Rear Admiral

albion432 wrote: View Post

All of that said, the question I have is what do the ratings that he's printed really say then? I have both books, for every episode he lists the "share" or the percentage of the television audience watching a given program, and the number of households that equates too. If and when Star Trek has the larger numbers in each case, what does that really mean? He also laid out at least one weeks overall rankings for all network programs. Star Trek wasn't in the top ten, but it was in the top 40, ahead of other shows like Gunsmoke, Hogan's Heroes, all of Irwin Allen's sci-fi, and Mission: Impossible. He may have cherry picked that example to publish, but could you explain what these numbers really mean? Or is it the consensus he's lied and just made these numbers up? I am sincerely curious.

He is showing Trek was doing okay on its night, but overall when compared to everything else on TV it was basically in the middle. Cushman has been analyzing the show on an episode by episode night of broadcast basis, and is saying that Trek was doing okay it wasn't in the tank as was claimed in the 70s and 80s. That is all you heard back then. Trek was a ratings disaster and didn't find its audience until syndication. Which isn't exactly true either.

-Chris
Old May 11 2014, 07:09 PM   #225
Harvey
Admiral

[QUOTE=cbspock;9569998]

...make it pretty evident that Cushman believes the ratings weren't low and in fact were good. He is, of course, quite wrong in this belief, which isn't supported by the facts. It seems likely that Cushman saw how Trek was performing in its timeslot (at least, on the half hour), decided Trek was a hit, and worked backwards from there. Suffice it to say, this isn't a strong way to conduct research or ake an argument, but I am sure it helps sell books to have a marketing hook like that. Which is not to say I believe Cushman is primarily motivated by sales -- he just a very enthusiastic fan who, unfortunately, doesn't know what he's talking about.

and you do?

-Chris[/QUOTE

I won't claim to be authoritative on the subject, but Cushman makes enough sloppy mistakes in his analysis that I think I have a better grasp on the subject than he does.