Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 25 2014, 03:25 AM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

Prometheus 2: Apparently it's happening

I hadn't heard anything about a sequel to Prometheus actually being made since the first one came out. And even then, it was just wild speculation.

But apparently it's happening, and it's scheduled for an early 2016 release.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...eus-2-20140324
Old March 25 2014, 03:29 AM   #2
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Prometheus 2: Apparently it's happening

The first one was completely useless trash that should almost be forgotten. A sequel would work if they did an Alien 3 and just find the ship floating around and the robot and human both dead.
Old March 25 2014, 03:32 AM   #3
Mr Light
Admiral

I loved the first one, and I can't wait to see the sequel! The Engineers are fascinating!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 03:37 AM   #4
RoJoHen
Awesome

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The first one was completely useless trash that should almost be forgotten. A sequel would work if they did an Alien 3 and just find the ship floating around and the robot and human both dead.
My problem with the first one is that is seemed incomplete. It jumped from intriguing mystery to gross horror film so fast I barely had time to register what was going on. It probably could have stood to be about 30 minutes longer than it was to actually flesh out the story.

I admit I liked a little more the second time around because I could pick up on a lot of things I missed, but I still think it was rushed.
Old March 25 2014, 03:57 AM   #5
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
My problem with the first one is that is seemed incomplete. It jumped from intriguing mystery to gross horror film so fast I barely had time to register what was going on. It probably could have stood to be about 30 minutes longer than it was to actually flesh out the story.

I admit I liked a little more the second time around because I could pick up on a lot of things I missed, but I still think it was rushed.

I agree. The movie was just not well planned out. Things were not explained. It had a good base, but there was nothing to it, and the movie ended without a third act. It felt like "We were planning a trilogy, but we only really have enough for one film". It's just really a mess of a movie.
Old March 25 2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Morpheus 02
Commodore

My problem with Prometheus was that it was kinda sorta a prequel, but not really.

The actions paralleled what looked like had happened in Alien , but not quite, so they'd have to do it again.

That just seemed lame...
Morpheus 02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 04:50 AM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
My problem with Prometheus was that it was kinda sorta a prequel, but not really.

The actions paralleled what looked like had happened in Alien , but not quite, so they'd have to do it again.

That just seemed lame...
Yeah, there is that. Honestly, it all could have worked if the Engineer had crawled back to his ship and died in the pilot's seat (like how we found him at the beginning of "Alien") instead of dying on Vicker's crashed escape pod.

Also, Vickers. What a complete waste of Charlize Theron. I would have liked it if her character had survived for the sequel so they could actually use her for something.
Old March 25 2014, 05:11 AM   #8
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Hey, looks like I'm gonna save some money. Pass. I can't imagine a sequel to a shitty movie will be any better than the original.
Old March 25 2014, 05:16 AM   #9
Borgminister

While I was sadly underwhelmed by the first movie, I did like what it tried to do, so I'll give the second a chance...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 05:26 AM   #10
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I was terribly underwhelmed by the first Prometheus movie, however the fact that Damon Lindelof (who I blame for the lackluster quality of the first movie) is not writing the sequel instills me with a little hope the sequel can actually be good.
Old March 25 2014, 05:31 AM   #11
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

The first film was a massive disappointment with a completely nonsensical script, but was well-acted and beautiful to look at (although most of the cast died, so it's kind of a moot point except for Rapace and Fassbender). I'm hoping if Scott recognizes the mistakes of the first film, he can build on the good things and deliver a much improved sequel. That the chief selling point for the new writer is that he wrote Green Lantern is not a promising sign, but even the best writers usually have some duds, so we'll see. I'm still interested in the concept, and hopefully this time it will tie into the Alien-series even more, rather than being in the same universe but inexplicably keeping its distance from fully embracing its status as a prequel.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 05:55 AM   #12
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Hey, looks like I'm gonna save some money. Pass. I can't imagine a sequel to a shitty movie will be any better than the original.
Hey now! We are on a Star Trek site after all...
Old March 25 2014, 06:01 AM   #13
Harvey
Admiral

I liked Prometheus more than most, it seems. It's not a perfect movie (it's chief failure is its script, although I think its problems have been exaggerated), but it presented a thoughtful premise with a great cast and terrific production design. Hopefully a sequel will improve upon that base (and keep Scott around as a director).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 10:22 AM   #14
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Prometheus was the most insultingly idiotic movie I've ever seen in cinema in my entire life, and that includes one of Matrix sequels and Revenge Of The Sith. It looked gorgeous and the acting was mostly good (Fassbender was great in it), but the script made no sense and there was no logic behind any of the characters actions.

If Prometheus 2 won't be written by Damon Lindeloff, I might check it out after reading at least two dozen reviews. However, it will still be directed by Ridley Scott, who's not known to pick decent projects for a long time. The last time I liked a movie that was directed by him was the director's cut of Kingdom Of Heaven.
Old March 25 2014, 12:30 PM   #15
Mr Light
Admiral

I found the mystery of the Engineers to be absolutely fascinating, and much more interesting than another Xenomorph jumping out of the air ducts, and I would absolutely love to see Shaw and David make their way to the Engineer Homeworld and see what's there, and why the Engineers changed their minds about humanity.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote