Stewart Snotbot Support
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Ryan Joins Arrow
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Retro Review: Jetrel
By: Michelle on Jul 24

New ThinkGeek Trek-Themed Products
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 24 2014, 09:15 PM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

When appliances break...

This has been quite the winter for me and home repairs. My washer broke and had to be fixed. My dryer broke and had to be replaced. My pipes froze. I had to replace the float inside one toilet, and I had to replace the wax seal on another toilet. I had a raccoon in my basement (not really an appliance problem, but still!).

And now...

MY WATER HEATER IS LEAKING!!! YAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!

Leaking out the bottom, so it's likely cracked or rusted through, and needs to be replaced. So now I'm shopping for water heaters online and attempting to sort through all the good and bad reviews.
Old March 24 2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: When appliances break...

My parents' just gave out as well. However they found it was still under warranty, even though it's like 10 years later. They made it in with just 4 months left on the warranty, so now it's been replaced for free.

I hope your situation runs just as smoothly.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 09:32 PM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

According to the inspection notice on the side of the water heater, this one was installed in 1988. So...I have a feeling it's not under warranty anymore.
Old March 24 2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

If possible you should try to contact your local water/gas utility, maybe they can provide you with a new water heater. That's how I got mine. (Not for free, but I felt most comfortable letting them do it.)
Old March 24 2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

MY WATER HEATER IS LEAKING!!! YAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!
I can empathize. In 2011 we had to replace our hot water heater, dish washer, oven, and clothes dryer all within about six months. We bought our hot water heater at Lowe's and had them install it. Totally worth the money!
Old March 24 2014, 11:15 PM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kirby wrote: View Post
We bought our hot water heater at Lowe's and had them install it. Totally worth the money!
Lowes is looking like the best option here, too. Have any idea which model you bought, by chance? The Lowes here seems to have exclusively Whirlpool products.
Old March 25 2014, 01:32 AM   #7
Kitty
Commodore

We replaced our air conditioner (whole thing), microwave, and part of the furnace this year. Next is the fridge. I remember my mom having her washing machine for 30 years! They don't make appliances like that anymore.
Old March 25 2014, 03:11 AM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, the new water heater is purchased. Unfortunately, because of the size of my car, I couldn't get it home tonight. I will have to wait for it to be delivered on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, my basement floods...
Old March 25 2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Our dryer just died on Sunday.

It still has 4 months of the warranty left, so Lowe's is coming out Wednesday to fix or replace for free.

Of course they can only give me an estimate of "between 12-5", but still, not a bad deal...
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 01:29 PM   #10
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Is there no main valve you could close?

Looks like you are caught in a Murphy-onic field My commiserations. I had such a year, 2 years ago and am still trying to recover from the financial impact.
It's a very weak comfort but after a while there's not much left anymore that could possibly break or go wrong, so that in the long run things can only get better.

A huuuuge hug to all who have a broken appliance, uninvited guests in their basement, tax forms to fill or other unpleasantness to deal with!
Old March 25 2014, 03:46 PM   #11
RoJoHen
Awesome

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Is there no main valve you could close?
Well, yes, but there's still about 40 gallons of water already inside the tank that is leaking onto the floor.
Old March 25 2014, 04:31 PM   #12
J.T.B.
Commodore

Well, yes, but there's still about 40 gallons of water already inside the tank that is leaking onto the floor.
There should be a hose-bib type valve at near the bottom for draining. Close the input and output water valves and shut off the gas, of course, then run a hose from that valve to your basement floor drain, washing machine drain or somewhere else convenient to drain the tank.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 04:34 PM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

Oh, if only you lived in this crappy house.

My washing machine drain is the SLOWEST drain in the entire world. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dead bear inside the pipe. I get a small flood in my basement pretty much every I wash clothes.

Anyway, yeah, I should probably attempt to do something. BUT I DON'T HAVE A HOSE!
Old March 25 2014, 08:07 PM   #14
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

mmaybe you could just put a bucket under it. Milking the 40 gallons out will take a bit (almost 20 buckets) but it'd be better than the flooding.

As for the washing machine: did you check if the sieve is inserted properly? Is the rubber o-ring perhaps old and brittle and needs to be replaced?
If the water leaks out in the back of the machine, where the hoses are attached, then check if they fit tightly. Sometimes they get shaken loose and start to leak. Or if they are old, they might be brittle. You get new ones in every electronics or DIY market for a few bucks.
It'd be best if you stayed with the machine once while it works, so that you see where the water leaks out. Don't worry - washing machines are really easy to repair, particularly old ones.
Old March 25 2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I think we just lease our hot water heater from the gas company. As for long-lived appliances, we used to have a deep freeze that was 50 years old when it died. It had belonged to my grandparents.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote