TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 24 2014, 05:40 PM   #211
Warped9
Admiral

Re: TOS in the 29th century...

The beauty of all this is that it's all measured out. When I'm finished the entire facility, both flight deck and lower service bay, will fit right into the ship where it's supposed to go and without any fudging. I've already taken into account the thicjness of the ship's outer hull as well as the thickness of the bay doors. While building this I was also taking into account the thickness of walls and bulkheads. Note the doorways and archways--there is a thickness to them allowing for framing menbers and an operating door when needed. When I construct the service bay its ceiling will be two feet under the floor of the flight deck. Note, too, that the width of the entire hangar facility does not extend to the outer hull of the secondary hull, and it is also well below where the pylon supports attach to the secondary hull.
Old June 29 2014, 05:33 AM   #212
Warped9
Admiral

Here is some idea of what this looks like from the inside. They're shown here raw because I haven't added any internal lighting sources yet so any renderings would just come out in total blackness.

Old June 29 2014, 05:51 AM   #213
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I really like how this shuttle turned out. Very sleek, but still retains some of the classic look. What font did you use for the shuttle names? Or was it a custom job?
Old June 29 2014, 12:38 PM   #214
Warped9
Admiral

The font is the original Airborne from TOS' first pilot and I tweaked it by rounding off the corners to create a smoother Eurostyle like look.

The font for the vehicle names is called Sofachrome.

Last edited by Warped9; June 29 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 03:36 AM   #215
Warped9
Admiral

I'm in the process of adding overhead lighting panels. What I have left to add is the lighting for the control rooms and the main flight deck. I'm not sure how I want to light the flight deck yet--what shape it will take. I will play with different intensity of lighting for the observation level as opposed to the flight deck and berthing alcoves. I'm debating whether I should add some other fixtures such as control panels, alert lights and storage compartments.
Old July 1 2014, 06:44 PM   #216
JES
Captain

I completely agree with B.J. The shuttles take the general shape of the original, but have also turned into something sleeker and stylish.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 08:30 PM   #217
Warped9
Admiral

Here is my first pass at rendering the hangar deck. I could try turning the lights up a bit more. But it does give a decent idea of what it could look like. Mind you, too, that it isn't quite as detailed as a full up hangar filming set would be because this is meant simply to establish a general layout.

There does look to be some extra space for the standard shuttlecraft, but this is also being mindful that other craft of different shapes and sizes (within reason) could conceivably be accommodated. In that event two of the shuttlecraft could be moved temporaily and stored below in the shuttlecraft service bay.

The red lines on the deck indicate the borders of where a shuttlecraft can be parked. So there are four red outlines for the parked shuttlecraft as well as marking where the craft must land or conversely from where it departs near the hangar bay doors. The green lines on the deck mark the limits of where the craft can move and hence the green rectangle marked within the red circle indicating the turntable/elevator. That red circle marks the border of which anything on the turntable must remain within when the turntable/elevator is in operstion. When a standard shuttlecraft (or smaller craft) is within the green rectangle there is easily sufficient room to avoid hitting anything outside the red circle when the turntable is in operation. When a craft is lowered into the service bay below it is promptly removed so the turntable can return to the flight deck since it is effectively part of the hangar's deck.

Last edited by Warped9; July 2 2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old July 2 2014, 02:01 AM   #218
Albertese
Commodore

Why does it need to be so dark?

--Alex
Old July 2 2014, 02:06 AM   #219
Warped9
Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
Why does it need to be so dark?

--Alex
As I said upthread this is my first pass at rendering this interior model and so I haven't brightened the emitters more yet. I could also increase the reflectivity of the walls and floor a bit to help scatter the light more.
Old July 2 2014, 09:29 PM   #220
Warped9
Admiral

Here I've upped the brightness of the lights as well as increased the reflectivity of the walls and floor a bit to brighten everything up more.

Old July 2 2014, 09:44 PM   #221
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Looking so good! Fantastic work Warped9!!!!

Cant wait to see more!
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 10:07 PM   #222
Warped9
Admiral

I am thinking of adding a few more details, but then it's on to the service bay under the flight deck.
Old July 3 2014, 03:55 AM   #223
Warped9
Admiral

I might go back to do extra details on the flight deck. But for now here is the below deck shuttlecraft service bay taking shape. Its unusual shape is dictated by the shape of the ship's exterior fantail. The service bay's ceiling is 16 ft. and there is sufficient space to accommodate two shuttlecraft, one on either side of the turntable/elevator. What could extend further aft into the fantail and directly under the flight deck airlock? I would speculate it would be airlock and hangar machinery as well as possible storage for extra parts and supplies for the shuttlecraft themselves. I'm also envisioning a port and starboard side gangway to descend to the service bay from the flight deck level.

Old July 4 2014, 12:10 AM   #224
Warped9
Admiral

A little more progress. the added level can house shuttlecraft parts and supplies as well as the aft most section housing the hangar/airlock machinery. I'm pondering different ideas regarding the lift system for the turntable/elevator. Note the recess in the service bay floor for when the platform is lowered.

Old July 4 2014, 08:14 PM   #225
Warped9
Admiral

There is a thought that occurs to me. And maybe somewone can offer some insight on it.

When the turntable/elevator (T/E) lowers to the shuttlecraft service bay (SSB) the T/E platform stops within a recessed cavity in the deck so that you have an even surace with the SSB floor to allow ease of movement for a shuttlecraft off or onto the platform. When the platform rises back to its default position level with the above flight deck (to complete the floor of the flight deck) it leaves a big hole in the floor of the SSB. That's a potential safety hazard if someone is momentarily inattentive and walks over the edge into the recession in the floor.

Would it not be possible for some sort of platform, perhaps spring actuated, the rises from the bottom of the cavity to be level with the floor of the SSB when the T/E platform is in the raised position? When the T/E platform is lowered the SSB platform recesses into the bottom of the cavity to allow room for the T/E platform. The lower platform could look like a large donut with the T/E lift shaft rising up through the middle of it.

These are the two basic ideas I had for the T/E system. The red outlines mark the T/E lift itself while the green litline marks the lower SSB platform that recesses when the T/E is lowered.

Or maybe someone has another idea?

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by Warped9; July 4 2014 at 08:47 PM.