Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 27 2014, 05:00 PM   #46
HIjol
Captain

Re: Catholics, What Are You Giving Up for Lent?

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
very much off-topic, I'm afraid: what does "effed" mean? Can find it in no dictionary nor online. (Or is it a word that an elderly lady should rather not know? )
Fucked.
High-yo!...BOOM Shahka Lahka!!!!...Quark getting right to it!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 07:41 PM   #47
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
I've been horrible this lent. I never really targeted anything specific, but in general it was to eat healthy, exercise, and spend more quite time in reflection. Then we started another round of layoffs at work, I got a horrible virus, and a friend of mine had a severe heart attack last weekend and is not doing well. Needless to say I've been too distracted and have done nothing. I might have to take a mulligan on this one...
I'm sorry this Lent has been such an ordeal for you, Kirby. I don't know what to say ... it's a raw deal. I hope everything works out.
Thanks for the kind words Frakes. My friend Mike passed away two days ago. His heart was getting stronger, and they were thinking of doing the bypass this weekend, but he couldn't beat an infection that developed. His son and my son are good friends, have been in the same class since kindergarten, and have played baseball and basketball together, and the same Cub Scout pack, so they've become good friends to our family; This is heartbreaking. I did survive the layoff, but will have to say goodbye to some good friends over the next couple of months.
Old March 27 2014, 11:19 PM   #48
2takesfrakes
Commodore

This is an unfortunate turn of events, Mr. Kirby - I'm surprised by it, actually. Words fail at times like these, but again, I'm sorry for what your going through.
Old March 27 2014, 11:26 PM   #49
Sam_I_Am
Captain

View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am

Meat, chocolate, sweets, crisps.
Old March 28 2014, 05:06 AM   #50
HIjol
Captain

I've been horrible this lent. I never really targeted anything specific, but in general it was to eat healthy, exercise, and spend more quite time in reflection. Then we started another round of layoffs at work, I got a horrible virus, and a friend of mine had a severe heart attack last weekend and is not doing well. Needless to say I've been too distracted and have done nothing. I might have to take a mulligan on this one...
I'm sorry this Lent has been such an ordeal for you, Kirby. I don't know what to say ... it's a raw deal. I hope everything works out.
Thanks for the kind words Frakes. My friend Mike passed away two days ago. His heart was getting stronger, and they were thinking of doing the bypass this weekend, but he couldn't beat an infection that developed. His son and my son are good friends, have been in the same class since kindergarten, and have played baseball and basketball together, and the same Cub Scout pack, so they've become good friends to our family; This is heartbreaking. I did survive the layoff, but will have to say goodbye to some good friends over the next couple of months.
Kirby...I know you do not know me from Adam, but I have an unsolicited suggestion that I think is worth trying:

Do NOT give up on your Lenten goals...stay with as many as you can...I know it is easy for me to say, but digging deep and honoring yourself and your friend will speak much to your spirit and his...and do not think of saying good bye to your laid-off friends...yes, it could come to that, but think of saying "I am here and am thinking of you and will do what I can"

That, I think, will craft one of your best Lenten seasons...my thoughts and prayers are with you...and I do know a little about lay-offs and changes in loved ones...that is how I ended up here in the U.A.E. ...

Be well, my Friend...

HIjol
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 03:45 PM   #51
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

I'm giving up olives. Generally speaking.
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 12:24 PM   #52
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Sam_I_Am wrote: View Post
Meat, chocolate, sweets, crisps.
Giving up meat? Taking anything with a face off the menu is a good idea, in my opinion ...

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
I'm giving up olives. Generally speaking.
Very good, sir.
Old March 30 2014, 10:57 PM   #53
Sam_I_Am
Captain

View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am

^^ Yep, giving up meat. I don't find it too difficult. Chocolate is hard though.
Old March 31 2014, 01:55 AM   #54
2takesfrakes
Commodore

To quote Spock's older brother Sybok: "I feel your pain." I, too, am a slave to my Sweet Tooth ...
Old March 31 2014, 05:43 PM   #55
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
God and I have barely been on speaking terms for years, so my Lenten project is to pray -- if only for a couple minutes -- every day. I'm probably remembering two out of three days so far.
I can't imagine a world without God. I wouldn't want to. It goes without saying that spirituality is an important part of the Human Condition. If you've ever gotten something out of exploring it, or believe you ever could receive something from it, then it would be a mistake to not try to return to it. I'm glad you've made it your "Lenten Project." I hope that you're successful.
I love the irony of a statement that starts with, "It goes without saying that..."

...My friend Mike passed away two days ago...
My condolences, Kirby.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 08:19 PM   #56
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

God and I have barely been on speaking terms for years, so my Lenten project is to pray -- if only for a couple minutes -- every day. I'm probably remembering two out of three days so far.
I can't imagine a world without God. I wouldn't want to. It goes without saying that spirituality is an important part of the Human Condition. If you've ever gotten something out of exploring it, or believe you ever could receive something from it, then it would be a mistake to not try to return to it. I'm glad you've made it your "Lenten Project." I hope that you're successful.
I love the irony of a statement that starts with, "It goes without saying that..."
Indeed. It's not a statement I agree with either. Religion is an important part of some people's lives, but not everyone's.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 12:38 AM   #57
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Does giving up something for Lent count if it's something you didn't give up voluntarily?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 12:51 AM   #58
2takesfrakes
Commodore

http://www.catholiceducation.org/art...on/re0527.html

Over the years, modifications have been made to the Lenten observances, making our practices not only simple but also easy. Ash Wednesday still marks the beginning of Lent, which lasts for 40 days, not including Sundays. The present fasting and abstinence laws are very simple: On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, the faithful fast (having only one full meal a day and smaller snacks to keep up one's strength) and abstain from meat; on the other Fridays of Lent, the faithful abstain from meat. People are still encouraged "to give up something" for Lent as a sacrifice. (An interesting note is that technically on Sundays and solemnities like St. Joseph's Day (March 19) and the Annunciation (March 25), one is exempt and can partake of whatever has been offered up for Lent.
Old April 1 2014, 01:01 AM   #59
selina
Fleet Captain

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Does giving up something for Lent count if it's something you didn't give up voluntarily?
I don't think so since fasting in a religious context is something you decide to do in order to cleanse both body and mind.
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 01:10 AM   #60
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Nuts. I was hoping that being voiceless for 40 days would count!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote