Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 20 2014, 12:39 PM   #91
KMCarr
Ensign

Re: Things you thought were stupid on ds9.

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
That the other Founders looked just like Odo (hair, face, ears). I mean, come on, 'see Odo, this is how you do ears, just how long is it going to take you to figure it out?'
I don't understand this complaint. I stand. My distant ancestors are called homo erectus--man who is upright. Yet no one thinks I must necessarily have perfect posture, or stand incessantly for more than twenty hours. No one thinks less of me if I take cars or trains rather than walk, or don't enter marathons. Humans must learn and perfect skills, even those that are arguably common. It could hold true for other intelligent beings.
Even though all humans have the same basic physical attributes, we do manage to have a lot of variety so that we don't all look alike. Why not have some changelings be good at ears and noses and have different hair or skin color? It would have saved a lot on time in the makeup chair. I think it would have been funnier if Odo could be a little different in every single episode. Giving himself some Feringi features just to creep Quark out would have been fun.

From a theatrical standpoint, of course, Trek had to give all members of any specific species the same attributes so that you didn't have to spend time trying to figure out which was which but the changelings could certainly have had more variety, ipso facto.
KMCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 10:24 PM   #92
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

KMCarr wrote: View Post
Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
That the other Founders looked just like Odo (hair, face, ears). I mean, come on, 'see Odo, this is how you do ears, just how long is it going to take you to figure it out?'
I don't understand this complaint. I stand. My distant ancestors are called homo erectus--man who is upright. Yet no one thinks I must necessarily have perfect posture, or stand incessantly for more than twenty hours. No one thinks less of me if I take cars or trains rather than walk, or don't enter marathons. Humans must learn and perfect skills, even those that are arguably common. It could hold true for other intelligent beings.
Even though all humans have the same basic physical attributes, we do manage to have a lot of variety so that we don't all look alike. Why not have some changelings be good at ears and noses and have different hair or skin color? It would have saved a lot on time in the makeup chair. I think it would have been funnier if Odo could be a little different in every single episode. Giving himself some Feringi features just to creep Quark out would have been fun.

From a theatrical standpoint, of course, Trek had to give all members of any specific species the same attributes so that you didn't have to spend time trying to figure out which was which but the changelings could certainly have had more variety, ipso facto.
We do see variance in those abilities, from the Female Founder and the shapeshifters in the Earth episodes; between Odo and Laas; between Odo and his older self; and between Odo and the Female Shapeshifter. Indeed, we see that Odo can only replicate the form of the Female Founder when she was sick, whereas as could take on Kira's appearance.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 07:52 AM   #93
doctorfoto
Commodore

Who says a Founder's ears need to have little folds in them? Or that their faces lack detail? Maybe to a Founder, that's all the detail they ever want to have - or are supposed to. Odo felt bad because he was judging his face by Bajoran standards, but for a Founder, he got it spot-on, probably because that's the face that came naturally to him.
doctorfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 04:48 AM   #94
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

1. Mirror Universe- Crossover was fine but the writers didn't really need additional MU episodes. It just seemed gratuitous (and they got really bad by the end).
2. Ferengi development- Most of the Ferengi eps were junk. I think that "The Magnificent Ferengi" was the only one that was halfway decent/tolerable. Their send off in "The Dogs of War" was o.k. too. Profit & Lace on the other hand? Bleh.
3. The command structure, esp. when the Defiant was involved was extremely confusing. Also, who was in charge of the station when all of the senior staff were out running around on the Defiant. Seems like they were lucky that not much ever happened to DS9 while everybody was away. Even on B5 they didn't have the entire senior crew away on the White Star every five seconds for a contrived reason.
4. Dukat (post SOA)- Dukat was one of the best well-written villains in DS9 until after Ziyal was killed. Everything went downhill character development-wise after that. It's like the writers just didn't know where to go with him.
5. Pagh Wraiths- I guess that one would have to assume that where there are benevolent gods, there would necessarily have to be malevolent ones as well but the concept was never handled particularly well IMHO.
Old May 29 2014, 09:13 PM   #95
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

JediKnightButler wrote: View Post
1. Mirror Universe- Crossover was fine but the writers didn't really need additional MU episodes. It just seemed gratuitous (and they got really bad by the end).
And they missed the perfect opportunity to bring back Terry Farrell for The Emperor's New Cloak. I think she expressed some interest in coming back for that. I liked the earlier episodes, but they definitely wore out their welcome when they did the mirror Bareil episode.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 02:27 PM   #96
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

3. The command structure, esp. when the Defiant was involved was extremely confusing.
Some consistancy here would've been good. It started off with Kira as XO without any bother, then after Worf came onboard she gave up the position to him--even when she was on the bridge--except in the S6 finale, when she takes command to lead the attack on the Chin'toka power station, whilst Worf is sitting right there. Personally I'd follow Kira before I did Worf.

Also, who was in charge of the station when all of the senior staff were out running around on the Defiant. Seems like they were lucky that not much ever happened to DS9 while everybody was away.
The station is a big place, with a lot of people onboard. There could've been an unseen Militia Captain who took charge when everyone else was unavailable, or maybe a Lieutenant Commander who took watch. We never knew of Lt. Commander Greta Vanderwick until she was murdered.

Even on B5 they didn't have the entire senior crew away on the White Star every five seconds for a contrived reason.
Comparing DS9 to B5! Go and wash your mouth out
Old May 30 2014, 09:26 PM   #97
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The Founders only looked like that to make Odo comfortable. Nobody really cared for mimicking humanoids unless they intended to replace specific ones, and the only reason Female Changeling appeared in humanoid form in the later episodes was to make the audience aware of who she was. It might have been better for the scenes where FC is only around Vorta and Cardassians for her to have appeared as some sort of scary looking monster for intimidation purposes. But then the audience wouldn't have been able to identify the emotion she's expressing as easily.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 01:24 AM   #98
The Warlord
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was re-watching Playing God the other day. I'm not saying none of the main cast should not have been pro destroying the micro-universe, but I always felt that given her religious views etc, that it would not have been Kira who would have advocated it's destruction. Odo, or perhaps O'Brien, maybe, but not Kira. Indeed, at one point towards the end, Odo is at the opposite end of the debate to Kira, with Kira being the far more coldly practical of the two.
The Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 04:35 PM   #99
Echtzeit
Lieutenant

I absolutely hated the episode when Dukat and Evie Garland had a child on Empok Nor. Dukat forming a pah-wraith cult on Empok Nor was by far the most stupid thing on DS9.